Discuss Which Van is best for an electrical contractor? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

There's loads of threads about vans. Save yourself any trouble and by a transporter. I'd avoid Renault/Nissan/Vauxhall (think that's the right 3). They all had problems with (I think) gear boxes.

Is this old and current news? Im looking into getting the Vauxhall Vivaro Sportive 2nd generation (the new one, 2015 model) ... i've been an eyed one up and its like sex to drive... i don't like reading this when im potentially about to spend 19k on something i want to last a good 7/10years lol

Is this old and current news? Im looking into getting the Vauxhall Vivaro Sportive 2nd generation (the new one, 2015 model) ... i've been an eyed one up and its like sex to drive... i don't like reading this when im potentially about to spend 19k on something i want to last a good 7/10years lol

I think Richy will be talking about the old models... I've got one and would agree its cack, new ones are supposed to be good

Hi Richy,

Thanks I have been offer a Renault as a brand but haven't driven enough of them o know which is best. There wont be a lot of kit in there, only some general tools and a set of steps. I would describe it as small contractor but I know I would get some stick d the jokes wont stop.

Thanks again,

Best wishes,

Rex

Got a vivaro and had no issues, before that I drove renault trafic's for about 10 years with no issues.
I could not cope with a little van being Industrial I cant see me getting a 12 way power board and a drum of heavy swa in the back of a kangoo.
Leave the little vans for the postmen.

That's a bit of a sweeping generalisation! Not interested in starting an arguement but we have never had a major issue with any of the 4 of our Vivaros (one is 8 years old). Whereas my uncle has just traded his transporter in as he's had no end of trouble with it (it's 4 years old).

It's the same as anything, if you do your homework - work out common issues with particular models/engines, etc. Keep an eye out for service history, recalls, etc. Provided it's been looked after you'll be fine with any van!

Yep, I suppose so. But there always will be. Name any van and people will always have good and bad to say about them. Merc Vito's rust!

I'm just about to change my 4 year old VW and its still worth about £15K + VAT. I can't believe a 4 year old Vivaro would ever be worth that, even new ;) Any reasonable trade around my way has a VW for reliability.

My plumber mates got a transporter ordered for March.......26k ex vat!!!
im on my second trafic sport just now .just coming to 3 years old.no problems yet.
the service guy at bt fleet where I got it serviced las month said the owner driver ones doing 10-12k a year get no probs
the ones with a different driver everyday doing big miles are the opposite.
thats from a guy that deals with them everyday.
ill probably get a new one next year.

Im away to have a look at a Vauxhall Combo 1.7 at the weekend. its 11 year old but only done about 60k. Anything i should watch out for on these models? seen a few guys recommend them on here. This could be my first van.

I'm starting to see them around now. Mechanic mate at vauxhall reckons it is very highly strung for a works van as they are only 1.6 now but with bi-turbo and 120 BHP. Too complex IMO..

I'm sure they do a 140bhp as well from the 1.6 which sounds very strange but you never know it may be the way forward

Time will tell I suppose. My experience of small turbo charged engines is fun while they last but not reliable long term. There is no replacement for displacement!! I have an Audi RS4 B7 (not for work :) ), huge BHP, no turbo and generally very reliable.

Reply to Which Van is best for an electrical contractor? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net