Discuss Which Van is best for an electrical contractor? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

I recommended a fiat doblo on this forum about a month ago. They're extremely good value, but if the purse strings aren't that tight, the transporter is hard to beat, but it's hard to justify the price cpmpared to a trafic or a transit

I recommended a fiat doblo on this forum about a month ago. They're extremely good value, but if the purse strings aren't that tight, the transporter is hard to beat, but it's hard to justify the price cpmpared to a trafic or a transit

Mine does about 60mpg which is tuff to beat

...Been eyeing up a nice late seventies Dodge 50,Ex-TV detector van,good Perkins engine,leather rear door restraints and a fold down heated hand wash basin...:icon12:

Ive had every van under the sun and a new one every three years for the last 20 and one less than 3 at any one time had 2 VWs but have bad luck with them.For the money and I have had 4 of these even one I sold on to a mate it was 12 years old 230K on it and only broke down once.These or on the dear side but if your doing big miles and I have don't think I have seen one at the side of the road, as well as holding there money, I give you the TOYOTA HIACE

Extended service intervals is one way that manufacturers ensure they continue to sell lots, if their vehicles were serviced at more sensible intervals they would last a lot longer and the companies would sell less units.

will probably keep to the 6000 and do it myself

Hi Guys,

Can anyone help in suggesting which van would be best or an electrician working on his own and carrying steps and the normal tools?

Any help on what van should not be bought from your experience would be helpful

Best wishes,

Rex

There's loads of threads about vans. Save yourself any trouble and by a transporter. I'd avoid Renault/Nissan/Vauxhall (think that's the right 3). They all had problems with (I think) gear boxes.

There's loads of threads about vans. Save yourself any trouble and by a transporter. I'd avoid Renault/Nissan/Vauxhall (think that's the right 3). They all had problems with (I think) gear boxes.
That's a bit of a sweeping generalisation! Not interested in starting an arguement but we have never had a major issue with any of the 4 of our Vivaros (one is 8 years old). Whereas my uncle has just traded his transporter in as he's had no end of trouble with it (it's 4 years old).

It's the same as anything, if you do your homework - work out common issues with particular models/engines, etc. Keep an eye out for service history, recalls, etc. Provided it's been looked after you'll be fine with any van!

Vivaro / Transporter size definitely makes life easier than Caddy's, Berlingo's etc. I have never had one, but the Toyota Hiace is about the best van money can buy according to those who have had them, they just don't go wrong!!

toyota hiace, the best ever. trouble is they hold their price so you'll pay good money for one.

That's a bit of a sweeping generalisation! Not interested in starting an arguement but we have never had a major issue with any of the 4 of our Vivaros (one is 8 years old). Whereas my uncle has just traded his transporter in as he's had no end of trouble with it (it's 4 years old).

It's the same as anything, if you do your homework - work out common issues with particular models/engines, etc. Keep an eye out for service history, recalls, etc. Provided it's been looked after you'll be fine with any van!
It's not often someone's opinion of a vehicle is anything other than a sweeping generalisation; I've never had any major problems with my Peugeot, despite the amount of times people tell me "all French cars are rubbish".

Reply to Which Van is best for an electrical contractor? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net