Discuss Which Van is best for an electrical contractor? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

no one has yet mentioned the older scudo/expert/dispatch. Much bigger inside than the partner etc, 3 seats accross the front but not much bigger than a family car outside.

Everyone is right, if you are upgrading then go for something bigger than the combo/partner etc.

Bugger it just go for a lwb Mercedes sprinter, all the wholesalers can't be wrong

Bugger it just go for a lwb Mercedes sprinter, all the wholesalers can't be wrong

they're called sprinters because you have to be quick off the mark to catch all the rust dropping off.

I was only joking about sprinters but you would get some serious gear in the back of one and they can motor for the size, but don't think I would like to fuel them every day .

Surprised at the recommendations for the vivaro. We've always had transits but bought a brand new vivaro last year. Just sold it after 12 months and got another transit. Really poor I thought, transits are twice the van IMO.

I was only joking about sprinters but you would get some serious gear in the back of one and they can motor for the size, but don't think I would like to fuel them every day .

21 MPG when I was tanking down autobahn last year.

++ VW Transporter, got mine a few weeks ago and just going through ideas for storage racks etc. Probably bulkhead storage like Handysparks van, did like that :)

Got to keep it fairly empty for my nephew for lugging all his DJ gear, there's lots of it, until he gets his own van.

++ VW Transporter, got mine a few weeks ago and just going through ideas for storage racks etc. Probably bulkhead storage like Handysparks van, did like that :)

Got to keep it fairly empty for my nephew for lugging all his DJ gear, there's lots of it, until he gets his own van.

I know a guy that has a false floor in his

I ended up going for a Renault Trafic (Vivaro etc). I love it! Ex AA van, high mileage for year (08 plate - 137000miles), paid £4100. Getting it all racked out tomorrow. :D

I love electrics!! I've spent 10 years being told what to do by poor quality managers and now I'm my own boss!! Giving serious thought to somehow becoming a proper electrician because I realise my huge limitations after only doing the 6 month course, but just cant work out how to juggle life.. 2 jobs and a single dad!!

Murdoch, Richard, Telectrix.... Fancy an apprentice? ;)

happy, i 'm winding down at 67 mate. just taking on smaller jobs. 3 days a week'll do me now. but ta for the offer.

I recently got a new traffic sport...cracking. Only gripe is the other day I tried to lay a sheet of 8x2 gyproc flat in the back. The van was under 1" short of allowing the sheet in ! poor design or a ploy to sell more long wheel based vans ?...I dunno.

I wanted a new transit custom...but too expensive.

I recently got a new traffic sport...cracking. Only gripe is the other day I tried to lay a sheet of 8x2 gyproc flat in the back. The van was under 1" short of allowing the sheet in ! poor design or a ploy to sell more long wheel based vans ?...I dunno.

I wanted a new transit custom...but too expensive.

Surely you could afford one of each and have a chauffeur to drive you! :wink5:

Sorry JR, its all in good humour and I expect you'll get a bit more for a few months off all the chaps!

Couple of pictures for you George...

Like I said.. I really like it but I would have made the 12 small compartments smaller and had more of them. One thing I didn't say is that the racking is 12mm rather than the 15mm some companies offer. 12mm is absolutely fine, theres no play in it, its not sagging with weight on it and its less weight for the van to carry.

van.jpg van2.jpg

Yes.. I did use somewhere local Ply Lining | Van Ply Lining & Van Accessories so they may be no good for you.

I think all in it was about £430.. that was for the floor and sides plus a bulk head plus the racking.. all fitted, and it was done to a high standard. I was there for around 1.5 hrs whilst he fitted it. I guess you could save some money if you did it yourself, but the ply its self would have cost a fair bit, then (for me anyway) a couple of days to shape the ply and fit it (and not to as good a standard), so I was quite happy with £430.

Good luck.. Have a look at a few other examples though as you may see something that suits you better.

Last edited:
I also get the feeling that this van thinks it's better at cooking than everybody else.
You can't beat a bit of light hearted racism on a Saturday morning......Is it still racism if it's direct at the French??

Would only be xenophobia as the French aren't a different race. But they're fair game anyway, bit like Celtic supporters.

Steve, thanks for the prompt replies and the photos - appreciated mate. Notice you got the bulkhead ply'd too, I was thinking of getting that done also. Let's hope the work keeps coming in to pay for it!

Steve, thanks for the prompt replies and the photos - appreciated mate. Notice you got the bulkhead ply'd too, I was thinking of getting that done also. Let's hope the work keeps coming in to pay for it!

Yes!! Didn't want prying eyes seeing all my tools :D

sod it....

lets all get one of these:

View attachment 24403[/Q

UOTE]

You could rent rooms out in that ,,

Mind you I used to have a LWB high roof sprinter , but TBH you can get anything big dropped out to site ,,I now have a Vito Sport X ,,nice and fast..

BTW Moyes has been sacked..LOL..
some of them iveco dailys will carry 6 ton....

chassis rails are massive on em....

I think the biggest sprinter with the twin rear wheels has the same capacity , but the Iveco has more torque though , and is less expensive to buy , The height in the Iveco would be great for storage , I would have thought you could create a box above the racking for tray and trunking etc, ,,

My brother ; who was a Leeds supporter like me back in the 70s , has believe it or not started supporting Man U in the last few years , but in the last 9 months or so has shown little interest in football , TYPICAL SCUM SUPPORTER ,,
Giggs is standing in now for the scum I hear,,,LOL

My brother ; who was a Leeds supporter like me back in the 70s , has believe it or not started supporting Man U in the last few years , but in the last 9 months or so has shown little interest in football , TYPICAL SCUM SUPPORTER ,,
Giggs is standing in now for the scum I hear,,,LOL
well he wants putting over someones knee and sent upstairs without no tea to consider the error of his ways....

Hi all (at what point are you not a newbie ?)

I got a fiat doblo van few months back for £1850, 57 plate full service history brand new tires and 6 months tax and 112,500 on the clock ad its probably the best van I have ever driven, comfy, nippy and loads of leg room. I've read it only need's servicing every 21'000 miles it has been done every 6000 up to now. what ya all think ?

I have the vauxhall combo basically the same as the doblo 21k service or 2 years had it 9 month from new and had to put it in at 18k as I had a problem due to the oil being so dirty cost 460 to get sorted, I personally hate the van looking to change back to a transit as I loved that van.

I have the vauxhall combo basically the same as the doblo 21k service or 2 years had it 9 month from new and had to put it in at 18k as I had a problem due to the oil being so dirty cost 460 to get sorted, I personally hate the van looking to change back to a transit as I loved that van.

Its the perfect size for me, transits can be had to park down little streets did look at a few tho

My Vivaro has a unique self cleaning oil system where it leaks out of the bottom and i top it up once a week. Works out at a complete oil change every couple of months. I'll probably need to do the filter soon though

Had transits all my life just changed to a VW transporter reason just got fed up of the rust even from brand new my old one started to rust but the VW looks the part, lovely quick not to big you nice little van

I've run VW transporters for the last 8 years and loved the 140ps, this time around I went for the 180 Bi-Tdi but feel a bit let down, drinks fuel and it's not that much quicker than the 140. Pulls up hills like it's on the flat but you soon get bored of that.

I've run VW transporters for the last 8 years and loved the 140ps, this time around I went for the 180 Bi-Tdi but feel a bit let down, drinks fuel and it's not that much quicker than the 140. Pulls up hills like it's on the flat but you soon get bored of that.
Good to know, my 140 is soon to be changed. Had thought about the next size up.

I recommended a fiat doblo on this forum about a month ago. They're extremely good value, but if the purse strings aren't that tight, the transporter is hard to beat, but it's hard to justify the price cpmpared to a trafic or a transit

I recommended a fiat doblo on this forum about a month ago. They're extremely good value, but if the purse strings aren't that tight, the transporter is hard to beat, but it's hard to justify the price cpmpared to a trafic or a transit

Mine does about 60mpg which is tuff to beat

...Been eyeing up a nice late seventies Dodge 50,Ex-TV detector van,good Perkins engine,leather rear door restraints and a fold down heated hand wash basin...:icon12:

Ive had every van under the sun and a new one every three years for the last 20 and one less than 3 at any one time had 2 VWs but have bad luck with them.For the money and I have had 4 of these even one I sold on to a mate it was 12 years old 230K on it and only broke down once.These or on the dear side but if your doing big miles and I have don't think I have seen one at the side of the road, as well as holding there money, I give you the TOYOTA HIACE

Extended service intervals is one way that manufacturers ensure they continue to sell lots, if their vehicles were serviced at more sensible intervals they would last a lot longer and the companies would sell less units.

will probably keep to the 6000 and do it myself

Hi Guys,

Can anyone help in suggesting which van would be best or an electrician working on his own and carrying steps and the normal tools?

Any help on what van should not be bought from your experience would be helpful

Best wishes,

Rex

There's loads of threads about vans. Save yourself any trouble and by a transporter. I'd avoid Renault/Nissan/Vauxhall (think that's the right 3). They all had problems with (I think) gear boxes.

Reply to Which Van is best for an electrical contractor? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net