Discuss Which Van is best for an electrical contractor? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

I've got a connect brilliant little van, the engine is bullet proof and I do rev the nuts off it.

But what I really wouldn't mind is one of these :D

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIGIfN15vF4&feature=related]YouTube - TH2RS vs. Porsche 911 Turbo[/ame]

:D maybe still don't think you can beat black ;) then there's the keeping it black:mad:. Personally if I had a van like that I would want it to look as normal as possible no wicked wheels no body kit just make it look standard it would be the ultimate sleeper :D

Stay clear of the french ,they are cheap for a reason
Ford, MB , VW always a good buy ,expensive but in the long run......
Never had a connect just trannies, mwb for versatility, sprinter too big go for vito, even a 108/109 i have had full sheets of ply in them,
But if you can stick with what you got , its going to get worse even now before it gets better.
But if your cash rich there is deals to be done

Jamie

I use a landrover 110 defender. It is completly designed NOT to be a van. It is uncomfortable, noisy and not economical.They are increibly expensive to buy. However, once you have one the parts are very, very cheap. You can work on them yourself, as they are designed to be taken apart with a couple of spanners in the middle of a battle field etc. By soldiers with basic knowledge. They are aluminium and do not rust out .(dont do what I did and buy magnetic signs for them ) No repair bills for me or huge service bills. Anotherpoint with landys are that they are unique in that they have the abilty to get under your skin. Once you have one, it is likely that you will never be without one again. Hence the three large glossy mags that come out everymonth on them, and the fact that something like 70%of all lands ever made are still working !
You can actually keep a landy going for ever if you want, not spent anything on parts for a couple of years but a few quid spent now and again keep it up together. Looks well ard with ladders on the roof as well !

I've got a VW T5, picked it up at auction a year ago at 3 years old for £5.2k (110k miles so went for a bit cheaper than the others) Ex lease, one owner, full service history, fully racked out in the back. Just sailed through it's first MOT no advisorys.

Had a T4 before that same story, one owner ex lease so they look after them. That's a 52 plate and just sailed straight through MOT too no advisorys again. Both very good vans, you'd get more for your money with a T5 though. Mine's a LWB so 3 meter lengths and 8x4 sheets will go in, aircon and electric windows etc. Would have been £18.5k new so £5k at 3 years old was a bargain enough for me! Government letting you put 100% through your books at the moment too so after that will cost you more like £3.8k.

Think you know what my vote is for! Get yourself down the auctions :)

ive got a pug bipper, i know its a samll van but its great to have to dash around the city in

I'm in no position to comment (Rockin' a '94 Clio), but I could never drive anything called a 'Bipper'. What were they thinking? It sounds like a cartoon chihuahua!

I run a Transit Connect. Not too bad on fuel, i get about 35 to the gallon fully loaded and mixed driving. Its got plenty of load space. Nice to drive and cheap on the maintenance.

I drive a vauxhall version of the traffic.Love it to bits and would have another, just make sure you get a good one (well serviced, self employed old boy one owner type ) otherwise you will be replacing that weak gearbox they can go 40K onwards- depending on how abused- overwiating(towing)-Young boy racers etc.If the service history is incomplete the turbo can blow early due to dirty oil.Mine has nearly done 160K and stills give good mpg and the drive is great!The turbo has started to whissle abit when cold and iam getting alittle oil in the intercooler pipes so that will need to be replaced over the next 10K miles or so ,£300 for a new one and not 100% impossable to change yourself not bad for an 8 year old van.Worth every penny as it is so reilable.

Something to be aware of though if you are a tinker: Don`t buy the Renult version.Alot of the parts in renult viechiles are coded to match the ecu wich makes it a garage job every time.The ecu needs to be reprogrammed/reset when changing simple senors or pumps etc to make them work.

Last edited by a moderator:
I drive a vauxhall version of the traffic.Love it to bits and would have another, just make sure you get a good one (well serviced, self employed old boy one owner type ) otherwise you will be replacing that weak gearbox they can go 40K onwards- depending on how abused- overwiating(towing)-Young boy racers etc.If the service history is incomplete the turbo can blow early due to dirty oil.Mine has nearly done 160K and stills give good mpg and the drive is great!The turbo has started to whissle abit when cold and iam getting alittle oil in the intercooler pipes so that will need to be replaced over the next 10K miles or so ,£300 for a new one and not 100% impossable to change yourself not bad for an 8 year old van.Worth every penny as it is so reilable.

Something to be aware of though if you are a tinker: Don`t buy the Renult version.Alot of the parts in renult viechiles are coded to match the ecu wich makes it a garage job every time.The ecu needs to be reprogrammed/reset when changing simple senors or pumps etc to make them work.

I take it thats the Vivaro then:D

After this post it'll proberbly go **** up

Silver vavaro cdti , 150,00 from new (4 years old ) serviced three times never broken down - sorry I lie clutch went 10,000 miles ago apart from pads (lots) and disc's ( nearly lots ) its been as good as gold
air con leccy windows elc mirrors led lighting . no complaints what so ever

No-one has mentioned the VW Caddy, i had the 1.9 sdi version of these before going overseas for a while, great little van and it had sliding doors on both sides, bit slow on the uptake but cruises well, would go for a TDI if i got another one, plenty of room in back and the storage in cab is great

No-one has mentioned the VW Caddy, i had the 1.9 sdi version of these before going overseas for a while, great little van and it had sliding doors on both sides, bit slow on the uptake but cruises well, would go for a TDI if i got another one, plenty of room in back and the storage in cab is great

Great vans the VW's all models, but they hold their prices well, and cost a fortune even used and fairly old, but i suppose thats for a reason, as they say "you get what you pay for".

Reply to Which Van is best for an electrical contractor? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net