Search the forum,

Discuss Worst day of my Life! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

Welshsparky

Apprentice dropped his hammer straight onto a toilet cistern lid, A very decorative one at that! 6 hours searching for a replacement and no joy ! i am close to tears, anybody else had the same misfortune and know were to look?

Don't know where to look but i feel for you !
It has happened twice to us before , once when the apprentice stood on one to get to a fuse board and once on a brand new bathroom refurb when yet again the apprentice decided to sit down on the closed ( literally just fitted ) ornate wooded seat with a set of cutters in his back pocket , that one was a +£300 touch !!!

Apprentice dropped his hammer straight onto a toilet cistern lid, A very decorative one at that! 6 hours searching for a replacement and no joy ! i am close to tears, anybody else had the same misfortune and know were to look?

I once dropped my hammer through glass topped halogen hob costing £400
Feel better now ? :-D

No actual damage, but hellishly expensive to put right.

We’d taken the top off a 1.8MVA 11/3.3KV transformer to repair the tap changer. Everyone is covered in oil so as a precaution all tools had a lanyard tied to them. As we are finishing there were just two of us working on the tap changer. I’m leaning over the tank and my glasses slipped off my nose, fell in to the oil and slid down the side of the windings.
All the cores and windings had to be lifted out of the tank to get them back.

I was about as popular as a pork pie at a bar mitzvah.

This is more or less why I refuse to take on an apprentice. It just seems like I'd be opening myself up to a world if s**t for very little gain.

As an apprentice mechanic I was grinding some angle iron on the back of a lorry body while behind me, a loving restored 1956 Daimler, covered in sheets to "protect" her, was merrily burning away.

Call your apprentice a plonker and remember, mistakes happen, its how you deal with them that matters.

Last edited by a moderator:
My fully qualified ex apprentice had to change a storage heater element last year, the customer had forgotten to turn it off the night before but to give the lad his due, he was game. He folded his dust sheet over loads of times, took out two hot bricks, changed the element and put the heater back together. He then noticed his dust sheet had a brown square on it, so did the cream 100% wool dining room carpet! That cost me a new bosch washing machine and tumble dryer to the owner of he carpet shop next to mine. It was still cheaper than claiming on insurance.
The lad offered to pay for it himself.......untill he knew how much it would cost.

while working on a cctv job with a scaffy tower my apprentice was up top and i was pushing the tower..!

any way i said is the run clear and he said yes then suddenly thud smash and oh ffff what was that!!

i had pushed into a sky dish snapping the arm off and bending teh actual dish..!!

accidents happen! £50 quid to fix but hey!

I`ve had 2 apprentices ( never again) and they made some corkers. The best by far was when I asked him to drill a 4" hole in a wall with a core drill for an extractor fan, he went into the van, got the kit, went back to the wrong room and drilled a lovely neat hole into next doors kitchen. Having said that "He who never made a mistake, never made anything" but I suggested he spent the weekend PAT testing to make up for what was a f,ing dull mistake.

Done exactly the same thing on a self closing lid, dropped my stanley knife on it and it took a piece out that looked just like Jerry's Mousehole.

Cost €190 in the end but looked around for days for a cheaper version, nothing would fit, so many different models/shapes out there, Best to swallow it and go back to the manufacturer/supplier.

Was reversing out of client car park and whilst trying to avoid the boiler, that the plumber had put outside, I reversed straight into his new transporter, made a right mess, didn't touch my battleship estate car. Anyway when insurance came around for renewal it went up three times from last year, so i went on Meerkat website and got it back down to what i was paying albeit having to go 3rd party, anyway i got a really nice Meerkat toy to remember the occasion.
*hit happens as they say

while working on a cctv job with a scaffy tower my apprentice was up top and i was pushing the tower..!

any way i said is the run clear and he said yes then suddenly thud smash and oh ffff what was that!!

i had pushed into a sky dish snapping the arm off and bending teh actual dish..!!

What was the apprentice doing on the scaffolding in the first place when it was being moved?

Isn't that against H&S rules? surely?

i put the scissor lift into forward instead of reverse on a fire station job, when it was parked right up next to the insulated sectioned roller shutter doors and put a barely perceptible mark on it. Only the site manager was on the other side when it happened! Honestly, You had to squint your eye along a specific angle to see the crease, but he did, and that's £1000 please!

Reply to Worst day of my Life! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back