Currently reading:
150m Cable run outside to spur?

Discuss 150m Cable run outside to spur? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Yes, there was reason why that section was opened. This thread is one of them.

I'm just a trainee so don't listen to me, I guess the following is more aimed at the experienced and qualified folks:

If the largest voltage drop I can find in appendix 4 of the OSG is 44mV/A/m (1mm^2), then the largest voltage drop is going to be 6.6V/A over 150m. Assuming these 3 transformers are not wildly inefficient, they're going to be drawing less than an amp at 230V... so even if they're not switch mode PSUs they're probably still going to be ok.

So (aside from environmental protection and other stuff I've not thought of and have yet to learn about), what's up with doing a rough calculation as above and saying, "the smallest SWA you can get"?

Volts drop has different allowances for specific load types although at such low load it may not effect cable size we need to know the load characteristics not just the load rating ...i ask a few times as you haven't responded with an answer we cannot really give assistance... the distance is excessive so for our help you need to answer what we ask ... if it was several meters we could give an educated guess ... the supply has to meet ZS requirements so trip times are met under fault again not to difficult with short runs but 150m is a bit of a run... i have 3 pubs within 150m of my house by comparison.

Knew there was summat. Zs. Sorry. ~embarrassed~

Volts drop has different allowances for specific load types although at such low load it may not effect cable size we need to know the load characteristics not just the load rating ...i ask a few times as you haven't responded with an answer we cannot really give assistance... the distance is excessive so for our help you need to answer what we ask ... if it was several meters we could give an educated guess ... the supply has to meet ZS requirements so trip times are met under fault again not to difficult with short runs but 150m is a bit of a run... i have 3 pubs within 150m of my house by comparison.

Ok so ill get the relevant info when on site tomorrow.

HappySteve, thanks for the info, Dilb take note.
Nah, don't thank me, and I'll reiterate don't listen to me. Just learning, and as DW states above I made a rooky error because I forgot summat basic.

To be honest, I'm more with Dillb on this...

I'm just a trainee so don't listen to me, I guess the following is more aimed at the experienced and qualified folks:

If the largest voltage drop I can find in appendix 4 of the OSG is 44mV/A/m (1mm^2), then the largest voltage drop is going to be 6.6V/A over 150m. Assuming these 3 transformers are not wildly inefficient, they're going to be drawing less than an amp at 230V... so even if they're not switch mode PSUs they're probably still going to be ok.

So (aside from environmental protection and other stuff I've not thought of and have yet to learn about), what's up with doing a rough calculation as above and saying, "the smallest SWA you can get"?

Rough calculation can be taken as gospel if advised on a forum you go to help from.. we don't do rough as it can in certain cases risk life... we are advising people with no electrical background sometimes and if we suggest it may need a competent person to look at the set-up its usually because we cannot attain the correct info or we believe the Poster is at risk themselves tying to do something with limited knowledge.

But what about the spark who you was getting to do the job? Wont he be able to tell you tomorrow?

Rough calculation can be taken as gospel if advised on a forum you go to help from.. we don't do rough as it can in certain cases risk life... we are advising people with no electrical background sometimes and if we suggest it may need a competent person to look at the set-up its usually because we cannot attain the correct info or we believe the Poster is at risk themselves tying to do something with limited knowledge.

Point taken.

We have been trying to help, you choose to ignore us as we wont commit until we have ALL the relevant information.

Sorry if you choose to ignore this but really, you are putting alot at risk by asking for a rough guess.

Dilib and DW were trying to help you, only you don't know enough about what it is you were asking.

Reply to 150m Cable run outside to spur? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock