Discuss 150m Cable run outside to spur? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

should I do a drawing?

one end the board-----150m (clipped to a wall externally!!)------other end the spur<<<12 v power supply

I need to have the 240v closer to where I need the 12v as obviously i cant run 12v over that distance

Last edited by a moderator:
Right we are getting there, slowly and with offensive responses.

Now, what are the power ratings of the transformers at 230 volt? What sort of cable are you looking at using?

And the 4 time you haven't answered all the questions asked.

I'm ooot

PSU's are 12v 1.5a DC

- - - Updated - - -

PSU's are 12v 1.5a DC

This is an external wiring install and off the cuff i will suggest you need to run it at 230v until load then transform it down.. as you are running mains outdoors you really need to get a local sparks to assess the situe and advice onsite their are too many questions here and everytime you answer you just leave us asking more questions... you can't export 12v over that length in realistic terms... you haven't really given us a fraction of the info relating to cable calcs and thus suggests you are out of your depth... this install could seem a simple request but can have many requirements to ensure it is safe even after cable selection even the characteristics of the incoming supply could change the way this install is done depending on where/how you terminate you 230v.

Note the time lag in me writing this post and you supplying some further info in case you have already answered what i ask.... ?

If you list your location I'm sure there will be a member who is close to you who could come round and inspect and quote for carrying out the work

lol wow, just wow. I give up. do you even read the previous posts?

This will be done by my electrician who is well in depth, I was just interested in the cable size so i could price it up.

Like I said forget it, Ill have a ring round.

This will be done by my electrician who is well in depth, I was just interested in the cable size so i could price it up.

Ahh a DIY question, makes sense now.

Oh so you read that one Dillb?

Far from DIY, a simple question that im sure someone will advise on.

I just seem to be asked the same question over and over?

And where exactly did you say that you had an electrician carrying out the work ??

Also your electrician will get differnt prices from his wholesaler which you will unlikely be able to beat due to the fact he gets trade prices so ringing round getting prices is pointless and surely you spark has quoted you a price for the work so why worry ???

Read INPUT current rating on label on power supply. Multiply by 3. Post answer. This info was needed at post #1.

It is not a simple question at all though, there are many variables to take into account, not just electrical ones but environmental ones too.

sheesh

I read every one of your replies and asked questions accordingly, you were unable to answer what I asked so in return wouldn't have been able to answer your question with out the required information

You obviously don't have a proper understanding of electrical principles. These questions are asked for a reason not to slip you up. There is a DIY forum for this sort of reason, which would also explain some of the replies you recieved originally.

Since when do I have to tell you I have a spark to carry out the work?

I wont be ringing round Ill be ringing Neweys and putting it on my account, I literally just wanted a size.

Ive had 2 quotes with different cable sizes hence the question, any other things you need to know?

Sorry Conner but you have posted in the general forum and this should be in the DIY section ... posting in here will give members an assumption you are competent to some extent unless you tell us otherwise.... as you haven't this has led to the barage of unhelpful replies... although it late and some members may not have anything better to do than slate it is clear you are not competent in relation to your question and i would have thought rather than kick you while your down some members could have suggested your in the wrong section.... You have my apologies for the lack of help...

At which end is the 12 volt needed?

At the end of the 150 meter run? Or will the cable be carrying 12 for 150 meters?

What type of cable are you looking at using?

This....Really

You wanted to know cable size, which is determined by load current. By post 35, you still haven't told us what that is, although we can now at least guess

Sorry Conner but you have posted in the general forum and this should be in the DIY section ... posting in here will give members an assumption you are competent to some extent unless you tell us otherwise.... as you haven't this has led to the barage of unhelpful replies... although it late and some members may not have anything better to do than slate it is clear you are not competent in relation to your question and i would have thought rather than kick you while your down some members could have suggested your in the wrong section.... You have my apologies for the lack of help...

lol oh right so its the wrong section, thats the reason for all the smart arse comments, i get it.

You wanted to know cable size, which is determined by load current. By post 35, you still haven't told us what that is, although we can now at least guess

Right well if thats what I need to do Ill get it. thats was easy

Reply to 150m Cable run outside to spur? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net