Discuss 3 gang 2 way smart switch wiring HELP in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Davidh89

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi there.

I've recently had an extension and want to change all of my switches to smart switches. I've ordered the correct smart switches from Amazon.

I have a few different 2 way circuits and a few 1 way.

So my issue is, on the new 2 way switches there doesnt seem to be anywhere for the L2 to go.

The image is the wiring advice from manufacturer.

L1 l2 and l3. With neutral and live.

On my existing 3 gang 2 way, I have a live, l1 and l2 for each of the 3 individual switches.

So from those, the l1 goes into the l1, l2 and l3 on the new switch. The neutral goes to the neutral and the love to the live.

So, where does the L2 from the old switch go?

TIA
David

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190823-184326_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 22
You will need to alter the wiring from two way to 1 way. To do this you need to, after carrying out safe isolation, establish which method of connecting a 2 way has been used and disconnect the appropriate switch and conductors.
Disconnected conductors should be made safe and ideally connected to earth to avoid coupled voltages appearing on them.

You will need to alter the wiring from two way to 1 way. To do this you need to, after carrying out safe isolation, establish which method of connecting a 2 way has been used and disconnect the appropriate switch and conductors.
Disconnected conductors should be made safe and ideally connected to earth to avoid coupled voltages appearing on them.
Oooh this is 1000% percent above my pay grade Haha.
Thanks alot for the advice.
I guess I'll give the electrician a call!

Be straight forward for an electrician providing they dropped a neutral to the switches. As above two way is no longer required they just need safe isolation.

Reply to 3 gang 2 way smart switch wiring HELP in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net