Discuss Advice needed after electricity tripped in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Lois93

DIY
Reaction score
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Can anyone help with an issue i have. My electricity tripped earier i think it was the extractor fan that blew. I have since turned it back on however now my oven will not come on. Neither will all the plug sockets upstairs and down. The only ones working are the ones in the kitchen above the worktops. Any advice much appreciated.

littlespark

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Is there an rcd in the fuse board covering several circuits? Check all the little switches that should be up, are up.

Post a photo of the fuse board if you’re not sure

Reaction score
Could be a multitude of things and needs inspecting and testing by a competent electrician, preferably one who has a recognised 'Testing and Inspection' qualification.

As above, obviously check to see all switches are actually in the 'on' position. If they are not, try to turn them on. If they immediately trip again don't try to force them up and get someone in.

OP
L

Lois93

DIY
Reaction score
Is there an rcd in the fuse board covering several circuits? Check all the little switches that should be up, are up.

Post a photo of the fuse board if you’re not sure
Its a really old fuse box. Here is some pictures of it now. Im not quite sure what a rcd is.

Thanks for the reply.

Attachments

You don't have permission to view attachments. Attachments are hidden.

pc1966

Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Its a really old fuse box. Here is some pictures of it now. Im not quite sure what a rcd is.
The RCD is the white box with the test button.

I suspect it was a line-earth fault and it took out both a fuse and tripped the RCD. Those are rewirable fuses so theoretically it is just a change of wire, but in practice it is a little harder to do properly and while you are at it you really should check the correct wire is used in all of fuses, as some folk put in any wire to hand which can be dangerous.

It would be worth getting @telectrix over to sort that and check the circuit just in case. For boards like that I would normally change the fuses to plug-in breakers, it is far short of a proper change/modernisation, but it can be cost-effective for cases like this when there is an RCD that (hopefully!) is working correctly.

Reply to Advice needed after electricity tripped in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

banny07
Hi Guys, 4 Bed house I am going to rewire have two electricity meters. Customer want to install seprate consumer unit for upstairs on one meter and downstairs on the other one. Incoming supply is single phase with seprate cut out for each one. my question is wheather it is allowed or not as I...
Replies
Views
littlespark
littlespark
C
So my kitchen sockets tripped, it won't let me switch back on just keeps tripping again. Im no expert, but switched all sockets off excepts the ones I cant get too fridge/freezer and washing machine. Is this a fire hazard or safe to leave overnight till I can contact landlord in the morning...
Replies
Views
Mike Johnson
Mike Johnson
D
Since last week I notice my Ampy meter was flashing 88888 and usage red light flicking continuously, even when main consumer main box turned off for over an hour. Still remained the same. Ive contacted the supplier last week will be sending an engineer. But today i noticed that the meter was...
Replies
Views
littlespark
littlespark
N
Hello everyone, let me begin by stating I am a homeowner after some advice and will in no way be attempting any electrical work my self. We are considering having our loft converted into a bedroom with en suite bathroom. I would like some advice so when I am getting quotes I can make sure I am...
Replies
Views
Nexus04
N
R
Hello everyone, I'm newly registered having read the boards from the shadows for a while. I have a question about neutral to earth faults and RCDs. I have read around this as much as I can but being relatively newly qualified my experience isn't as much as the collective members here so I...
Replies
Views
Roadhousezamora
R

Electrical News from Electricians Forums and Friends

E
  • Article
Want to become a qualified electrician? Look carefully at the training courses on offer to avoid wasting time and money, is the advice in a new campaign from electrical industry body The Electrotechnical Skills Partnership (TESP). With thousands of searches each year on terms such as...
Replies
Views
Marty92
Dan
  • Article
You can now link your account with social media by going to the following page. https://www.electriciansforums.net/account/connected-accounts/ We had this feature some time ago but I removed it when Facebook was found to be selling the data they collected without informing the users of what...
Replies
Views
Dan
Dan
  • Article
There was a dodgy advert, typical clickbait, showing "how to save 90% on your electricity bill" which was not the case and it was actually showing some dangerous wiring tactics. Read the actual threads here:- What should be the code for this - C2 or C3 -...
Replies
Views
Jurassic Sparks
Jurassic Sparks
James
  • Article
The Go Plus hot tub is being recalled because you could get electrocuted taking a dip, according to press releases from the Chartered Trading Standards Institute (CTSI). An Amazon spokesperson said: "Safety is a top priority at Amazon. "We require all products offered in our store to comply...
Replies
Views
Dave Appleby
D
Dan
  • Article
Posted on behalf of @CKI:C.K-Tools Carl Kammerling International Ltd, also known to as ‘CKI’, are the company behind the C.K Tools brand. Founded in Germany in 1904 and with roots stretching back to 1790, we provide a wide range of hand tools, tool storage, power tool accessories and...
Replies
Views
telectrix
telectrix

Search Forum

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.