Discuss cable sizing for 400a 175m 4 core in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

matt12321

hey,

ive been asked to work out a cable size for someone and not sure on the sizing for the amps. the information received is that its to be armoured, 4 core and the distance is 175m and needs to carry 400amps. is there a cable big enough or will they have to run two in parallel.

thanks

Plenty of cables capable of carrying 400A.

I've just installed supplies to some roof mounted chillers rated at 400A at a university, a shorter run than yours granted, but they were 150mm 4c.

Obviously you need to factor in all the applicable cable factors, installation method, nature of load, temp, grouping etc etc to arrive at the size you need but a single cable will suffice IMO.

As with everyone asking these questions... you've supplied a quarter of the info needed, how can we even start to weigh it up if we dont know install methods, ambient temp, nature of the load (i.e. high inertia motor) etc etc ..... if you havent be given the info then i suggest you ask alot of questions about the install before posting them our way....

Three phase + neutral + earth .... no bonding to be done or are you hoping to use the armour for earth?

sorry lenny.

so any ideas after all the info on the size and if i can run one single or 2 in parallel.

Well 2 x 50mm would give you a VD of around 5.75V .... you still haven't told us what's running on it though!. To achieve that VD with one cable you'd be up at 120mm (assuming I have my thinking head on).

i dont know what it will be running, he didnt say. what size earth will 120 mm need
Then you need to ask him. Inrush current etc may need to be taken into account (unless he's already done that within the "spec" you've been given). As for the earthing requirements, what do the regulations tell you with regards to sizing?

300 a breaker i think, 3 phase supply and 400a across all 3 phases

I would be inclined to confirm this, its not really the way 3ph current is usually expressed, it also seems overkill fitting a 300A front end because of the implemented costings.

3ph 400amp is usually 400amp per phase
If what you say is correct then you are telling us 133amp per phase but with a 300amp front end protection this would all be ringing alarm bells as to what you exactly is required as i would suspect 3ph 160amp/200amp system would vastly reduce costs of both materials and installation while still giving a comfort zone.

So il re-iterate we have a serious lack of info especially regarding nature of loading, also as already mentioned your opening post was requestion info completely different to that of which you described later in the thread.

Im can only assume this is well out of your comfort zone and you may be panic questioning as some questions you have asked are clearly explained within the regs..... we cant know the additional earthing needed until we know:-

(A) The nature of the load (dedicated circuit, sub-mains(multiple ways)).
(B) The correct specs of what your asking which will give us a cable size, then we can attain if the armour is acceptable as the earthing alone.
(c) Does anthing need Bonding (Gas/Water steel etc) as this will need to be included when working out earthing.

I would personally in your case get someone of experience on board as a little mistake in design could be costly and IMHO we can only head you in the correct direction but a to give you a detailed answer would require a detailed spec and/or onsite visit.

300 a breaker i think, 3 phase supply and 400a across all 3 phases
When you stated "across all 3 phases", I took that as meaning total current requirement at supplied location, IE 400A in total. I can see your statement could be read in two ways and you could equally have meant 400A per phase.

Over a 175m cable run, which is to be direct buried, i would always go for a parallel cable installation. It will cost less, it will be easier to handle and install, and give superior current carrying capabilities, and last but not least can also reduce your volt drop limitation...

Now if were talking 400A , a single cable based purely on current carrying capability is a 4 core 150mm SWA cable (408A). The parallel equivalent cable is 2 X 70mm 4 core SWA cable, which between them can carry 506A. You may however need to go with 2 X 95mm (608A) cables to cover any volt drop limitations on the 2 X 70mm cables...

I haven't done any calculations here, the current figures i have inserted are also only from memory, but they won't be far out if wrong... lol!!! As you can see, it makes sense to parallel rather than to struggle with a single larger size cable, and will generally come with benefits too ...lol!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to cable sizing for 400a 175m 4 core in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock