Search the forum,

Discuss commando to 13amp extension. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

wade88

Morning all,

Having some trouble here at work with some of the lads abusing our extension leads and running them all round the workshop floor into forklift routes and up and over hand rails etc, so i ran around and collected them all up and plan to install some commando sockets on the support beams spurred from the ring in the areas where they need power to work. the intention was to then make up some extension leads with the sockets they need and a commando plug on the other end to power up from the sockets on the support beams....however, there will no be no fuse in these plugs of course so the whole line wont be fused until the MCB which could be a nuissance if perpetual tripping occurs through continuing idiocy of these lads due to more abuse of the leads.

Any thoughts?

You can not really spur a 16amp commando socket of what I suspect you mean a ring final circuit for BS 1363 without having some sort of fuse protection. I'm not sure where your working but to be honest this is not really a way to do it.

What I did many years ago was run a 6mm 40amp ring main round a factory. At each pillar I fitted a stainless plate which I bonded to the pillar with a fly earth. Then on the plate fitted a metal 9x9X6 adaptable box. Inside the box I fitted a din rail with klippons and a 16amp MCB. Then fitted on the box cover a 16amp commando socket connected with 4mm from the klippons to the sockets and fitted the lid.

If you have loads to do you could run a 3 phase ring, then balance the sockets over the phases, just need a load of 400v stickers.

I know money nowadays is a discerning factor, but doing the job well must also come into the equation

Well yes money always is an issue, we do have one or two RCBO protected sockets from which i have spured already, but the location im trying to get power to isnt accessible to these conveniently. I didnt think this would be a satisfactory method hence popping the question so i shall seek an alterantive way of doing it. I'm only really doing this to stop the prats from missusing extension cables. Apprently being told 89 times doesnt suffice

Made a boo boo there Malcom didnt mean to actually say i had spured anything yet. I was contemplating taking a spur from the ring to a commando but have taken your advice and will find an alternative...or do nothing at all and just ban extension leads in certain zones.

Reply to commando to 13amp extension. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back