Search the forum,

Discuss Compatability issues with SMA HF and Sanyo panels in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Thats answered my question on another thread. I will definately be fitting a Fronius IG30 to 12 240w Sanyo panels and not the sunny boy. Theyre great these forums.

Hi BiggsSolar It didn't appear like that on the Fronius configurator unless I read it wrong. It also says: Please note: Module grounding at the Fronius IG TL not possible!

Just to update this thread, the new fronius inverter is working perfectly.

Its all well and good changing the inverter to solve the problem but do you have any idea what was the actual problem with the SMA? Was it an earthing issue? and what effect does the 30ma RCD have on the situation? (I believe SMA recommend 100ma)

Last edited:
Hi BiggsSolar It didn't appear like that on the Fronius configurator unless I read it wrong. It also says: Please note: Module grounding at the Fronius IG TL not possible!

The Fronius design tool, like Sunny Design, is only intended to help you match an inverter to an array. The IG TL 30, though oversized, is much more efficient than the IG30 and will definitely produce a better yield.

Just fired up a 10 panel HIT x 250w Sanyo and a 2500 HF inverter. The whole system has never got over 500w despite being running for 2 weeks. The system has produced 24 KWhours in tha time. Have spoken to SMA and they say its a sanyo problem. Sanyo say its SMA. Fault seems to lie with MPP trackers. Trying to get someone to admit liability.
Could anyone suggest a solution. Onther inverter maybe?? failing this I am taking all the panels off the roof FRiday and replacing with Schott or Hyundai. Got to get this fixed as the scaffold alone cost me £2000.00 and not prepared to leave a system that is prone to problems. Any help greatly received

@johnboy, there is no earth issue on this install and the earth thing is only a major issue on the TL range. And no problem with an RCD on a HF, just the TL's i believe.

The reason i changed it out to a Fronuis is beacaus i couldn't think of anything else to do, the issue seemed to be the inverter but SMA hadn't come up with anything other than swapping it out (which is helpful but still not a solution). Their feeling was that it was a Sanyo problem.

No abnormal test results of any kind, no event codes at all and nobody was able to give us a definitive answer, this problem has cost many hours of my time and much frustration for the customer and us and we are still no closer to a solution.

Thank you to everyone who has made suggestions...

@ Yanman, I personally am not quoting on Sanyo panels and SMA HF series inverters at all after this. i have no confidence in the combination.

We have plenty of other systems out there with different panels that are working fine and we really like the HF series in general but i will not match them with sanyo untill this is resolved.

We like the Fronius IGTL series for Sanyo as Biggs has said...

Does this mean using the Fronius IG TL that the array has to be bonded to earth as mentioned in other threads, cos I still can't get my head round that especially after reading this:
Fronius IG TL
field of application
NOTE The inverter is designed exclusively to be connected and
used with non-grounded solar modules (protection class II). The
solar modules cannot be grounded at either the positive or negative
pole.

You should bond the array to a earth spike, the inverter can be earthed at the MET.

As for the RCD issue i think there will be a large debate very soon.

Just fired up a 10 panel HIT x 250w Sanyo and a 2500 HF inverter. The whole system has never got over 500w despite being running for 2 weeks. The system has produced 24 KWhours in tha time. Have spoken to SMA and they say its a sanyo problem. Sanyo say its SMA. Fault seems to lie with MPP trackers. Trying to get someone to admit liability.
Could anyone suggest a solution. Onther inverter maybe?? failing this I am taking all the panels off the roof FRiday and replacing with Schott or Hyundai. Got to get this fixed as the scaffold alone cost me £2000.00 and not prepared to leave a system that is prone to problems. Any help greatly received

Any update, on your situation? We have one system displaying this fault and we are preparing to swap the 2000HF for a Fronius like the original poster, however I would like to understand what is causing this, wasted a lot of time on this problem!

Ive just installed 14 x sanyo hde240 with sb3000-hf inverter. Only turned on friday. 10 kwh produced over the 3 days but its been cloudy and overcast here in Leeds. Saturday bright sunny day and got peak of 1.5kw. So does this sound ok or am i experiencing this syndrome? Ps fri 2.3kw, sat 5.7kw, today 2.6kw

Ive just installed 14 x sanyo hde240 with sb3000-hf inverter. Only turned on friday. 10 kwh produced over the 3 days but its been cloudy and overcast here in Leeds. Saturday bright sunny day and got peak of 1.5kw. So does this sound ok or am i experiencing this syndrome? Ps fri 2.3kw, sat 5.7kw, today 2.6kw

Sounds fairly low to me, hard to tell without knowing the exact weather conditions but would be worth looking at Sunny Explorer to check the charts.

Down in the SW with the sun out we spoke to a customer who has 15 235 Sanyo's (on a Fronius) and it was peaking over 3000W. The reason we were there was because we were doing test on his neighbours system that has the fault (10 Sanyo 235W and a 2000HF).

hi, i have web box installed so here is the url for the data: thorn Energy and Power
let me know what you think? i know weather has a big part to play, but i have a mate with aurora inverter and sharp mono's, 10 miles away from me with similar facing roof. he was away for weekend so will be comparing with his system from tomoz

To give you something to very roughly compare with - we have just installed 16 x 250's on a West facing roof with a Power One inverter. Commissioned late on Friday afternoon - 13kwh by Sunday morning first thing.....

Doesnt look too good for me then. Will have to look at another inverter. Will give a few days and compare with my mate.
Thanks for help guys!!

just looking at inverters, have i read this right that the power one pvi3600 can be set to 2 trackers? this would be ideal as i have a chimney shade for a few hours in the mornings

Reply to Compatability issues with SMA HF and Sanyo panels in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock