Discuss Consumer Unit MCBs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I think anyway, that new circuits/boards would automatically be RCBO for RCD protection as we have moved away from dual RCD boards in order to obviate the problem of everthing going off when one circuit is faulty.
Depends on the customer and their budget. I know some blokes will only fit RCBO's on a new install and we might be moving away from them but we deffo haven't moved on yet, loads of RCD boards available in stores.

Thankyou all for taking time to explain what ‘normal’ would be like, when I asked the question I was just trying to understand the 16a MCB but as the thread has expanded it has raised a lot more questions and given me a lot more views that my knowledge is limited to what I remembered from 17th edition text books rather than practical installs. I’m not going to do any more electrical work preparation myself and I am awaiting a visit from an electrician by the end of the week to quote the build and correct my set up. Thankyou for your guidance though I appreciate the time you have all taken to respond.

Expect as mentioned previously it's a populated board that's been bought so the 16a MCB is just there because that's what came in the board. How you design is up to you..do you really need 32a ring finals everywhere sounds a bit ott for a summerhouse.

don’t take the earth from the house into the summerhouse terminate it outside the building or use a compression gland on the consumer unit end and install an earth rod connected to the consumer unit earth bar

regulation & reasoning for that piece of twaddle?

Hi Everyone, I’m new to the forum and joined to gain more knowledge from you guys that are practicing electrical work. I studied 17th edition electrics at college a few years back and passed with great scores but never went on to use my electrical qualification in practice, I used my cabling skills and went into installing full office computer networks and config of the install bespoke to clients needs. My question is - I am currently building a summer house/office at home and have what you guys may think is a random question - I have a 4 bay consumer unit for the summer house 2x6a which will be 1 for internal and 1 for external lights, 1x 32a which will be for the ring main but there is a 16a MCB, having looked around on toolstation and Amazon most consumer units have a 16a MCB, I’m just wondering what I would use the 16a for? I am actually thinking of switching it out for another 32a MCB and creating a separate ring main circuit for a few outside double sockets to keep them on separate trips? Happy for any feedback that is constructive (I have seen plenty of forums where the response is - if you don’t know find an electrician) Thankyou in advance :c)

Hi Everyone, I’m new to the forum and joined to gain more knowledge from you guys that are practicing electrical work. I studied 17th edition electrics at college a few years back and passed with great scores but never went on to use my electrical qualification in practice, I used my cabling skills and went into installing full office computer networks and config of the install bespoke to clients needs. My question is - I am currently building a summer house/office at home and have what you guys may think is a random question - I have a 4 bay consumer unit for the summer house 2x6a which will be 1 for internal and 1 for external lights, 1x 32a which will be for the ring main but there is a 16a MCB, having looked around on toolstation and Amazon most consumer units have a 16a MCB, I’m just wondering what I would use the 16a for? I am actually thinking of switching it out for another 32a MCB and creating a separate ring main circuit for a few outside double sockets to keep them on separate trips? Happy for any feedback that is constructive (I have seen plenty of forums where the response is - if you don’t know find an electrician) Thankyou in advance :c)

Reply to Consumer Unit MCBs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net