Search the forum,

Discuss Crimps inside the CU in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I think I have gleaned sufficiently from other posts that it is acceptable to use good quality inline crimps to extend cables for terminatingwithin a newly installed CU. Invariably,for 2.5mm T&E and 1.5mm T&E these crimps will be red in colour. I ask the experienced electricians on this forum: is it best to cover the crimp with suitably coloured insulating tape or left as it is?

I think I have gleaned sufficiently from other posts that it is acceptable to use good quality inline crimps to extend cables for terminatingwithin a newly installed CU. Invariably,for 2.5mm T&E and 1.5mm T&E these crimps will be red in colour
Blue for 2.5mm and Red for the 1.5mm.
is it best to cover the crimp with suitably coloured insulating tape or left as it is?
Insulation tape is best left in the wholesalers - pointless. You can heat shrink if you like but no need

Last edited:
I think I have gleaned sufficiently from other posts that it is acceptable to use good quality inline crimps to extend cables for terminatingwithin a newly installed CU. Invariably,for 2.5mm T&E and 1.5mm T&E these crimps will be red in colour. I ask the experienced electricians on this forum: is it best to cover the crimp with suitably coloured insulating tape or left as it is?

No, ...Never use PVC tape on crimp connections always use heat shrink!!! For an even neater job you could use bare crimps with 2 layers of heat shrink to insulate them. Or you can buy heat shrinkable insulated crimps. For aesthetics sake, i always like to see the appropriate core coloured heat shrink over crimp connections...

If you use the uninsulated ferrules crimped with a decent indent crimper and put 2 layers of heatshrink over it makes for a more streamlined joint.

images.jpeg

Unfortunately there's no way to 'like' someones signature on this board but I did try Biff :)

I'm probably just oldschool but I much prefer crimped ferrules. Great mechanical strength (assuming you use a good crimper) and a very low profile and neat form factor when used with heatshrink; the joints are almost invisible when they're in a wiring run. I've used Wagos (once or twice) but you hardly ever see them in this country. They're convenient but they're helluva bulky especially if there's a few of them in the same area, I can't really comment on their reliability because I haven't sufficient experience with them.

Unfortunately there's no way to 'like' someones signature on this board but I did try Biff :)

I'm probably just oldschool but I much prefer crimped ferrules. Great mechanical strength (assuming you use a good crimper) and a very low profile and neat form factor when used with heatshrink; the joints are almost invisible when they're in a wiring run. I've used Wagos (once or twice) but you hardly ever see them in this country. They're convenient but they're helluva bulky especially if there's a few of them in the same area, I can't really comment on their reliability because I haven't sufficient experience with them.

That's what I think too. I would either crimp & heat shrink like you say, or solder and heat shrink, but that's cos a) I'm an old gadgee and old fashioned and b) I know how to solder properly !!

Reply to Crimps inside the CU in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock