Discuss current 2391 course information in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
hi, currently doing 2391 course and getting told on a periodic that the only tests you have to do as minimum are zs and rcd, anyone else been taught to do this. tutor shows guidance note 3 and in as way you can relate to it but jut doesn't sound right signing a house off after only being there half an hour?

The purpose of periodic inspect and test is to provide an ENGINEERING VIEW ...A detailed VISUAL INSPECTION is required with appropriate tests. the results are mainly to confirm DISCONNECTION TIMES ARE MET as stated in Chapter 41

Last edited:
Not what I was told but hey ho, everyone wants everything instantly.
Not sure you’ll pass the 2391-51 exam just doing that, but would be interested if you do

The 5 pages of the ELECTRICAL INSTALLATION CONDITION REPORT is going to look a bit empty just doing two tests.
I’d ask the tutor to put it in writing that on the practical if you just test zs and RCD you will pass. If I remember correctly it’s a two hour practical exam.
Not sure what you’ll do for the other 110 mins after just the two tests.

hi, currently doing 2391 course and getting told on a periodic that the only tests you have to do as minimum are zs and rcd, anyone else been taught to do this. tutor shows guidance note 3 and in as way you can relate to it but jut doesn't sound right signing a house off after only being there half an hour?
Sorry, that is incorrect.
The minimum is a Zs test.

Hello SpinLondon,

Alex and I are not talking about testing in the field where you may have faults or issues doing all the tests. We are talking about in the actual 2391 exam what tests will you have to do to pass the exam.
I would be gob smacked if anyone could walk into the test pod and just do a simple Zs test sign the paperwork walk out and pass the practical, but I am happy to be proved wrong.

Hello SpinLondon,

Alex and I are not talking about testing in the field where you may have faults or issues doing all the tests. We are talking about in the actual 2391 exam what tests will you have to do to pass the exam.
I would be gob smacked if anyone could walk into the test pod and just do a simple Zs test sign the paperwork walk out and pass the practical, but I am happy to be proved wrong.
I am talking about in the field,more just domestic properties when they just want a simple cert. Where gn 3 days meet8g disconnection times and appropriate tests, all that would require is rcd test and zs with a thorough inspection

On the practical test you will required to complete a full series of tests in the correct order for the initial verification and a selection of tests for the periodic (if not all the tests again)

In real life, most on our course admit they only Zs and RCD test most circuits. A few said they confirm RFC continuity aswell.

It seems it's a common theme. Maybe its pressures on time or just the deal (sample rate) that was agreed with the client

Appreciate all the tests are to be carried out during the exam but couldn't understand when he said on site you should only take half an hour in a house. Just said you will have a lot of lims on your schedule of results. Even not bothering with rfc

In domestic installations, it would be very rare that you would not be able to isolate any of the installation.
In commercial or especially medical installations it is quite common.
I remember once in a Solicitor’s office, isolating a lighting circuit caused the receptionists computer and phone system to stop working.
She was not a happy bunny.

Basically being told talk g covers of etc and disconnecting conductors introduced a risk 're installing them. Periodic is def8ned to give an engineering view on the state if the installation as installed. Also told if you do work and there is no bonding then you just have to note it

Yes.
You are required to check whether the existing Earthing and Bonding arrangements are sufficient for the protective measures you intend using.
Lack of Bonding will not prevent fuses MCBs or RCDs operating, will not prevent placing out of reach, barriers, double insulation, SELV or PELV, etc from working.

Not sure about AFDDs and SPDs?

Reply to current 2391 course information in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock