Currently reading:
Downlight cable?

Discuss Downlight cable? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

joey82

Hi can anyone tell me what cable should be used to connect a mains voltage fire rated downlight to the junction box? Noticed that mine are connected with the flat rigid single strand circuit cable. Is this ok or should it be some thinner type flex. Cheers.

What type are they Joey. Some downlighters are designed so that flat twin & earth can be used because the terminals are away from the heat source, others (LEDS) give off so little heat that it's pretty much irrelevant

Hi Trev, they're just standard 240v fire rated with the connecting block directly on the top of the casing. GU10 50w lamps.

You will be Ok with normal flat twin and earth. 1.0mm or 1.5mm depending on the fuse/circuit breaker rating. If it is 6a then either off the above is ok. Make sure that you terminate it properly, and install the light in such a way that the cable isn't touching it. If there are any manufacturers installation instructions, then follow them, as they may recommend a particular type of cable, and also sometimes will put heat sleeving in the with the light fitting, if they do, then use it.

Cheers............Howard

Ok thanks Howard. They're already wired in using the flat mains type cable, 1.5mm. I just got it in my head when I saw it that it wasn't the correct cable cos it's dead rigid stuff and I just assumed a thinner heat resistant type was more appropriate. Ive got the installation notes and says nothing about what cable to use. Guess its only the same as cable feeding ceiling roses. Also why im here, I've got some plinth led lights that run off a plug in transformer, 6v. I would like them to turn on with the under cupboard lights that switch on from main ceiling lights. Is it ok and safe to get an electrician to put a junction box in the cable behind the fridge and run a plugsocket from it to plug the tranny into? I appreciate it will need to be marked up FOR PLINTH LEDS ONLY ! Is it safe to do this? Sorry long post :)

Ok thanks Howard. They're already wired in using the flat mains type cable, 1.5mm. I just got it in my head when I saw it that it wasn't the correct cable cos it's dead rigid stuff and I just assumed a thinner heat resistant type was more appropriate. Ive got the installation notes and says nothing about what cable to use. Guess its only the same as cable feeding ceiling roses. Also why im here, I've got some plinth led lights that run off a plug in transformer, 6v. I would like them to turn on with the under cupboard lights that switch on from main ceiling lights. Is it ok and safe to get an electrician to put a junction box in the cable behind the fridge and run a plugsocket from it to plug the tranny into? I appreciate it will need to be marked up FOR PLINTH LEDS ONLY ! Is it safe to do this? Sorry long post :)

I can't picture exactly what you want to do. But if you are going to get a spark to do it, then call him and get a quote, he will advise you better than anyone on a forum. No doubt there will be someone on here more than willing to do the job.

Cheers...........Howard

Ok sorry it was unclear. I wanted to take a socket off the cable that feeds the under cupboard lights to then be able to plug plinth lights in, then hopefully all lights come on together from one main kitchen light switch. Well thats the plan :)

Reply to Downlight cable? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock