Discuss Downlight Wiring in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

wassupjg

DIY
Reaction score
Hi guys, super basic question:

For a room layout like this, with my understanding that a lighting circuit downlight radial goes from one point to the next (whereas a socket radial can spur off in multiple directions), would this be acceptable, with the first downlight spurring off to feed two lines of downlights, or would it be "overloading" the first downlight, with 3 tails going in?
1.png

Would it be better to use extra cable to feed the 1st downlight on the left and then follow a true radial?
2.png

Or a junction box (hager j804) close to the feed splitting into the 2 legs? Maybe avoid a junction box as it's an unnecessary extra junction and therefore potential point of failure?
3.png

Cheers!

All methods are fine. Your first instance with three cables to the first light is going to need a separate junction box as most downlights accept a maximum of two cables. Some only accept one so this is a factor factor in all your examples.

An extra joint box isn’t a massive issue… use a wago box, with proper wagos. Nice and small will fit up through downlight hole.

Wago box should never need to be checked… but good idea to leave it accessible. (Enough cable to pull out the hole if needed)

Reply to Downlight Wiring in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi all, DIY'er here looking for a bit of advice so please go easy on me. In my dining room there is an existing single pendant and i would like...
Replies
Views
Hi, I live in a property built in 1911. It has had asbestos artex applied to every ceiling in the house. I am currently creating a new...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have ran a light ring off a fused spur with two lights on, each with their own switch (outside and lobby light) I want to put the outside...
Replies
Views
This heating controller is powered by 1.5mm T&E from a 6amp breaker. My question is can I spur from a this via a junction box in the roofspace to...
Replies
Views
We have a room in the house that was the kitchen. That has been relocated to a different area, so the old kitchen has been sold off and the room...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock