Discuss Testing a multi point lighting circuit in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi Im an apprentice and just wanted to clarify domestic style wiring since i work industrial and don't deal with conventional wiring. in college and the AM2 the only exposure to testing lighting is of a single point that may be switched either one way 2 way or intermediate. that doesn't worry me however what i do feel confused about is multiple points on a lighting circuit. Im not talking about downlight scenario where lights piggy back off the switched light im talking about3 plate feed in and out to the next fixture e.g 5 rooms in a house all one way switched pendants all on one ground floor lighting radial. is the procedure the same just goto each rose and test the switching of the switch to the S/L and then EoL is highest recorded R1+R2
Would that also be the same idea for IR. switch each individual switch and monitor IR until all switches are done. i know it sounds stupid but the concepts not even mentioned in college these days its as if they want to discourage new install 3 plate or jb style wiring.

basically yes,

if all switches are operated in turn, you get every piece of cable tested…. Which is usually just the switchwire coming in and out.

Obviously with 2 way and intermediates, you have the strappers which means multiple switching arrangements to bring each one in.

Whether it’s 3-plate, joint box or loop in at switch, the testing method is the same.

Reply to Testing a multi point lighting circuit in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net