Discuss Loop test fail on lighting circuit. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

stemill

DIY
Reaction score
I'm moving a socket installed on a lighting circuit (installed by previous owner who was a professional electrician so I assume he knew what he was doing). The socket is used only used for a lamp which is controlled by a wall switch.
I've installed new/moved sockets previously and always check everything is ok after the work is completed using a Kewtech Loopcheck 107 device.
However after moving this socket I'm finding I get a loop test "check" amber light. After much check of connections to no avail i decided to install a test socket directly onto the cable which is supplying the room before the switch and repeated the test. I'm still getting the amber "check" warning. This has at least satisfied me that i haven't done anything wrong as i haven't touched any of the wiring beyond this point. However does this indicate a potential problem elsewhere in the wiring that needs investigating? Or are these testers not suitable for lighting circuits?

It isn't relevant the socket outlet is on a lighting circuit you should still achieve the same results, the tester does not know it is a lighting circuit. Does the polarity show as correct, three green lights?

It isn't relevant the socket outlet is on a lighting circuit you should still achieve the same results, the tester does not know it is a lighting circuit. Does the polarity show as correct, three green lights?
Yes it shows the three green lights in a triangle. Just amber "check" on the loop test.

I think you are going to need an electrician to have a look, it is likely to be a problem with the earth path.

I've just tested again and it passed the loop test. Last night it was consistently failing??

I'm getting really inconsistent results from testing. There's a junction box involved and i've tried testing at different points trying to isolate the problem but sometimes it passes and subsequently fails at the same point? <edit> I've literally just done the test twice at the same point, first time it passed second time it failed. </edit> Is there a tolerance possibly i'm right on the edge of? Or could something else on the circuit be causing an issue?

Have you tried your tester in another socket to check that isn't a problem. Sounds like there is an intermittent fault.

Tester seems to work consistently in other sockets. Tried changing the socket i was using to test but no joy. Guess I'll have to get a sparky out. Good job i had the tester as otherwise everything appeared to be working fine but annoying as I feel like I've uncovered a pre-existing problem!

Reply to Loop test fail on lighting circuit. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net