Discuss Earth leakage nuisance tripping in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I have a fairly elderly MEM 8 way board with a 100A 30mA RCD main switch which takes out the whole board when it trips. About a month ago I put in a new circuit to an upstairs annexe in a garage (16mm SWA, TT rod and RCBO's in a separate CU). About 2 weeks ago the electricity board were doing some work so the power went on and off a couple of times, the last time it went off it tripped the RCD, I'm guessing this might have been coincidental but ever since the RCD will trip randomly, ranging from 3 days to 3 minutes,I have done a ramp test on the main RCD which is fine (trips at 29mA) and tested the circuits individually, again with no apparent problems. If I turn off one circuit (doesn't matter which one) this seems to be enough for the RCD not to trip, so I guess the problem is cumulative earth leakage??

I have disconnected as many external appliances as I can (e.g. Alarm box that was full of spiders outside) but still it randomly trips, I was wondering if the wise Sages of this forum had any experience of this kind of thing and if they cured it, what was the main culprit. I know ultimately I will have to change the board but it would be nice if I could fix this.

For info I am a Electrical Trainee and all this work will be signed off by a qualified spark.

Thanks for any help

D2E

Why is the DB completely protected by a 30mA RCD?

Can you not replace the main switch with a 100mA or 300mA RCD and individual 30mA RCBO's for any circuits that require them.

If its an MEM Memshield 2 DB, you can get 30mA RCD pods that you can fit onto the MCB's making them RCBO's and replace the main switch with a standard main switch (if all circuits are RCD protected) or a 100 / 300mA RCD.

Why is the DB completely protected by a 30mA RCD?

Can you not replace the main switch with a 100mA or 300mA RCD and individual 30mA RCBO's for any circuits that require them.

If its an MEM Memshield 2 DB, you can get 30mA RCD pods that you can fit onto the MCB's making them RCBO's and replace the main switch with a standard main switch (if all circuits are RCD protected) or a 100 / 300mA RCD.

Replacing the main switch and RCBO'ing the other circuits was another option, cost wise I wondered if I might as well replace the board, however, time is not on my side so I will probably do as you say. Thanks

With regards to costs, if you decide to replace the whole DB, what DB would you install?

Dual RCD: May still have nuisance tripping.
Individual RCBO's: DB will be costly anyway.

If it is an MEM 2, how many 30mA RCD's do you need?
I do have some spare MR30's that I would be willing to sell (at a reasonable price, most likely cheaper than any other supplier). They are brand new in boxes, and never used.

I may also have a 100mA Main Switch (Used) and a standard main switch (Used).

D2E, do you have or can you lend a clamp meter and test the whole leakage and then each individual circuit for earth leakage whilst all appliances are on? You will narrow down your fault finding this way. You may need to pat test appliances.

I have disconnected as many external appliances as I can

That wont cut the mustard if you want to find the fault you will need to disconnect everything from line and neutral pulling a fuse on a FCU will still leave the N intact, once ALL vulnerables are removed IR it at 250V first see if it complains if clear up it to 500V if not clear then split the circuits and IR each, for a TT you want to go with a time delayed 100mA up front with 30mA split load or rcbo's

J

As Paul says, best to get a clamp meter that will go down to mA. It does indeed sound like cumulative leakage. I bought the dilog unit and it's very useful.
The other reason the RCD trips is that it could be faulty. It wouldn't be the first time an RCD was damaged following leccy board work nearby.

Whilst I have the utmost respect for guitarist and Pauls advice, where I beg to differ is that you should make sure the fixed installation is fault free before worrying about appliance leakage, they may well be proved right, none the less fault finds should start at the origin of the installation not assuming it may be ancillary equipment, you mention cumulative leakage this could be from an appliance but it could also be leaking from the fixed installation contributing to the overall problem.

J

From the op:-

"I have done a ramp test on the main RCD which is fine (trips at 29mA) and tested the circuits individually, again with no apparent problems."

Looks like he has tested the circuits that's why I went down the appliances leaking route. But as Jimmy says IR test each circuit, its all a matter of systematically eliminating it down to the actual fault.

Good advice from everyone :).

Last edited:
D2E, do you have or can you lend a clamp meter and test the whole leakage and then each individual circuit for earth leakage whilst all appliances are on? You will narrow down your fault finding this way. You may need to pat test appliances.

I think I know a chap with one, I will try and borrow it and track it down, trouble is there aren't enough hours in the day at the moment.

could this be an overload problem, not an earth fault. you've go 8 circuits on a 100amp 30ma rcd, + what you installed. what is you max demand. what are your circuits pulling combined.

I've had a few cumulative leakage problems before - a few mA here, a few there, and suddenly you've got 40-50 mA across one side of a split board. It's made by all the little digital things we plug in..routers, flat tv's, laptops etc etc. Only real solution is to split the circuits up more and more and put them on rcbo's.

Whilst I have the utmost respect for guitarist and Pauls advice, where I beg to differ is that you should make sure the fixed installation is fault free before worrying about appliance leakage, they may well be proved right, none the less fault finds should start at the origin of the installation not assuming it may be ancillary equipment, you mention cumulative leakage this could be from an appliance but it could also be leaking from the fixed installation contributing to the overall problem.

J

It's nice to know that you have the utmost respect for us jimmy, and I for one respect your opinions just as much.
From what the op had said, I also assumed that he had carried out all the basic tests you refer to.

could this be an overload problem, not an earth fault. you've go 8 circuits on a 100amp 30ma rcd, + what you installed. what is you max demand. what are your circuits pulling combined.

Stand alone RCD's don't trip on over load only fault leakage but it could burn out

J

I'm with Jimmy on this, disconnect everything and IR test the individual circuits. Could be a cumulative leakage fault or a circuit starting to fail. No point looking for other faults until the whole installation is proven to be good.

I'm with Jimmy on this, disconnect everything and IR test the individual circuits. Could be a cumulative leakage fault or a circuit starting to fail. No point looking for other faults until the whole installation is proven to be good.

He says that he has already tested individual circuits mate.

He says that he has already tested individual circuits mate.

Well as I was hinting at earlier he doesn't say he has IR'd the circuits just tested them for RCD tripping I assume by isolating them individually..

I have done a ramp test on the main RCD which is fine (trips at 29mA) and tested the circuits individually, again with no apparent problems.

J

Reply to Earth leakage nuisance tripping in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock