Discuss Electricians cover letter in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

-
Reaction score
Hi all could some body please tell me what they think of my cover letter any adive would be much appreated thnk you for taking the time to read and respond.

To whom it may concern.

I am writing to enquire whether you have a vacancy in your successful company for an electrician’s Mate/improver. I am aware of your excellent reputation and would like the opportunity to prove what merits I can bring to your team.

I have successfully completed City & Guilds 2330 level 2 and 3 in electrical installation. I would like the opportunity to extend my skills and gain further experience within your establishment.

I would relish the prospect of working for your successful company as I believe that your support and expertise would help me in reaching my full potential and becoming a successful member of your organisation.

I see myself as a self-motivated, enthusiastic, determined and hard working person who strides to work to the highest of standards at all times.

I would be very interested in an opportunity to discuss my skills and experience at any time convenient with you. You can contact me directly on 07...........................

I have attached my CV for your attention and look forward to hearing from you. Thank you for your time reading this cover letter and going over my resume.

Yours faithfully

that sounds dead on mate. if you were applying to a well esthablished firm i would use that one, as for a one man band maybe you could tone it down a bit ( although im sure a bit of flattery helps ) . main thing is to get them to look at your CV an hopefully let that do the talking. remember when people are posting a vacancy they may have 300 cover letters to go through so making yours stand out is a must. its just a tough time at the minute for getting jobs

Try to get a name to personalise each letter.

Main body reads nicely although it does repeat a little and clearly says what you want from them but could you be a little clearer about what they get out of you?

You say what your Knowledge (City & Guilds 2330 ) and Attitude (self-motivated, enthusiastic, determined and hard working who strives to work to the highest of standards ) are but what about Skills? Top house-basher, HV AP, make a lovely cup of splosh, etc... you get the idea.

Best of luck :O)

The letter seems to suit an enquiry to a large organisation,so well done on that.
I would be uneasy about using the identical letter for smaller organisations, because you do not give the motivation that makes you cost effective to the smaller buisness, ie, your expectation of becoming an electrician and your willingness to use your aquired knowledge in exchange for practical experience at the lower level of electricians mate or something simillar, until such time as you can be upgraded to electrician

You may be surprised by the amount of sole traders and small buisnesses looking for electricians mate who would appreciate the knowledge already gained
anyway good luck to you even though it is not the best of times to be seeking what you require

i think i reads ok, but agree with the others it may seem a bit much to smaller companies, so might be worth having two drafts one for large one for small companies.
Also it might be worth getting your cscs card sorted and possibly cis4 card so if the oportunity for sub contract work arises you would be set up ready.You may not fancy being self employed but in the current market being able to work in all capacities cant hurt, plus even if you just subcontract a couple of weeks here and there its all site experience to put on that cv.
good luck

Hi 1983,

Well done on creating your letter! And well done for posting it on the forum to get some feedback before you send it out. It shows
Initiative!

I like your letter alot, but I would tend to agree with desertbootz in that you could do with expanding on your skills some more to make you jump out off the page to the potential employer. They may have thought about employing someone but you need to jog their memory and get their interest in you!

For example tell the employer that you really enjoy the first fix process of getting floorboards up, knocking channels out and running cables in. They may think 'god we could do with some guys like that, not afraid of getting dirty'?

Only an example but it would show the potential employer that you know what your talking about, you understand the process and your not afraid of getting stuck in.

You could even incorporate some bullet points of you successes?

Example:
  • Successfully completed City & Guilds 2330 Level 3
  • Worked on site for a new build project 30 properties
  • Gained a distinction for practical installation examination
  • Helped complete 2 rewires on domestic properties
Letters can be very difficult to write and it is very difficult to not begin sentances with 'I am', 'I would', 'I can' etc but if you can, try and change this as it looks like it is all about what the job would do for you and not the company.

I would try and make it short but to the point. Try and find some history about the companies you want to approach so that it shows that you have an interest in their company.

Other useful phrases -

'You will see form my CV that I ......'
'I can be available for an interview at short notice....'
'From my gained experience.....'

I hope this helps & good luck!!

Warren ;)

Thank you very much everyone for taking your time to read and being so helpfull. Could i please have some advice on my cv
Electricians cover letter {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

PERSONAL PROFILE

As a highly motivated and committed individual I have both theoretical and practical experience within the electrical industry, through college studies and work placements. I am now looking to apply these skills to a successful career.

SKILLS & ABILITIES

• A thorough understanding of Health & Safety and Electrical Safety Rules & Regulations - holds an ECS card.
  • Full clean UK Driving Licence
  • Excellent practical skills – able to use a variety of hand & power tools.
  • Accuracy – attention to detail, able to follow instructions precisely
  • Organisation – able to plan and prioritise work load
  • Ability to work well within teams
  • Ability to work well as an individual
EMPLOYMENT HISTORY

Flag Electrical, London (Temp) Electricians Assistant
Mar 2008 – June 2008 and Nov 2008 – present

• Responsible for assisting electrician with the installation, maintenance and repair of electrical services to residential & commercial premises
  • Carried out an initial installation, (first fix) – fitting wiring along wall cavities and through ceilings and floors to B.S 7671 Standards
  • Mounted back- boxes on walls to take plug sockets and points
  • Carried out second fix, connecting the wiring to socket outlets, lights switches, fused spurs, light fittings, fire alarm sounders, emergency lights, garden lights
  • Earthed electrical items through the cpc connected to the met in consumer unit
  • Responsible for bonding non electrical items to prevent the introduction of an earth potential
  • Fault diagnostics and repair
North London Fire and Security Systems (Temp) - Fire Alarm Engineer Assistant
Jan 2008 – Mar 2008 and June 2008 – Sept 2008

• Responsible for assisting Engineer with the installation, maintenance, and repair of intruder alarms, fire alarms & fire extinguisher in commercial and residential properties
  • Carried out initial installation (first fix) – fitting plastic conduit along walls
  • Run FP200 cable along conduit fixings & through walls
  • Fitted alarm sounders , break glass units , smoke detectors, heat detectors
  • Carried out second fix, connecting the wiring to the alarm sounders, break glass units smoke detectors , heat detectors
  • Responsible for Fire extinguisher maintenance

Davis Property Developer, London Apr 2004 – Dec 2007
Labourer/ Handyman/ Electricians Assistant

• Refurbished houses in need of modernisation
  • Assisted builder with Brick laying
  • Assisted electrician with first & second fix of electrical rewire to B.S 7671 Standards
  • Assisted plumber – running pipes under floor boards fitted bathrooms, sinks toilets
  • Assisted plasterer with plastering
  • Painted & decorated
  • Fitted kitchen units and appliances
Lam’s Electrical, London (Temp) Oct 2003 – Feb 2004
Electricians Mate Temporary

• Assisted with the re-wiring of domestic & commercial properties
  • Run cables through conduits under floors and ceilings to B.S 7671 Standards
  • Wired up socket outlets, light fittings, switches, fused spurs, electric showers
  • Earthed electrical items through the cpc connected to the met in consumer unit
  • Responsible for bonding non electrical items to prevent the introduction of an earth potential

EDUCATION AND TRAINING

College of North East London (CONEL) 2004 – 2007

Course: City & Guilds 2330 Electrical Installation (Buildings & Structures)

Qualification: Electro Technical Technology 2330 level 2 (2006) Electro Technical Technology 2330 level 3 (2007)

Salisbury School, London Sep 1995 – Jun 2000

Course:Math, English, Science, Business Studies, Office application

Qualification:GCSEs

REFERENCES AVAILABLE ON REQUEST

Try to get a name to personalise each letter.

Main body reads nicely although it does repeat a little and clearly says what you want from them but could you be a little clearer about what they get out of you?

You say what your Knowledge (City & Guilds 2330 ) and Attitude (self-motivated, enthusiastic, determined and hard working who strives to work to the highest of standards ) are but what about Skills? Top house-basher, HV AP, make a lovely cup of splosh, etc... you get the idea.

Best of luck :O)

My thoughts exactly.

I'm not sure about the 'successful company' bit, it sounds a bit schmoozy, maybe 'established company' would be better.

Explain that your output would be similar to an electrician but for an obvious reduction in hourly-rate.

I know this is an old thread but it's still relevant.

Reply to Electricians cover letter in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock