Currently reading:
Electrifying front yard

Discuss Electrifying front yard in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

MalcolmS

DIY
Reaction score
Hi All,
I hope you are well. I am doing some earthwork in the front yard and realised that at this stage I could lay some electrical wires in advance.
Last time when I asked here about delivering electricity to my shed/garden office some people recommended 90mm or 35mm SWA which is ridiculous for the application not to say it is terribly expensive. The electrician said that 10mm armoured SWA is more than enough.
10mm armoured SWA in itself is so thick you cannot bend it unless you allow for a 2 feet wide bend. To run it though a wall and to connect it to the existing consumer unit is hard if impossible and ideally it has to be converted to unarmoured 10 mil. So how I supposed to wrestle with this 90mm or 35mm wire. I believe there are some jokers on this forum.:)

My plan is to lay a wire for:
1. front yard / gate lights
2. small motorised sliding gate
3. charging port

I understand for lights 1.5mm SWA armoured wire, gate motor - 2.5mm SWA armoured wire, a charging port 5mm or 10mm wire?
Please advise
Thanks in advance

I believe there are some jokers on this forum.:)
So how big is the mansions front yard

If your charging point is USB it won't need that big a feed to it

:):):rolleyes:

Being serious you may be better installing ducting to the points where you think you need power now for use at a later date

Last edited:
35mm csa SWA, what are you powering ? another 3 bed house :rolleyes:

as above, just put in ducting to all possible positions you may wish to have power to, don't forget a draw rope and then in 6 months or 6 years time you can pull in what ever you need at this time

Hi All,
I hope you are well. I am doing some earthwork in the front yard and realised that at this stage I could lay some electrical wires in advance.
Last time when I asked here about delivering electricity to my shed/garden office some people recommended 90mm or 35mm SWA which is ridiculous for the application not to say it is terribly expensive. The electrician said that 10mm armoured SWA is more than enough.
10mm armoured SWA in itself is so thick you cannot bend it unless you allow for a 2 feet wide bend. To run it though a wall and to connect it to the existing consumer unit is hard if impossible and ideally it has to be converted to unarmoured 10 mil. So how I supposed to wrestle with this 90mm or 35mm wire. I believe there are some jokers on this forum.:)

3. charging port

I understand for lights 1.5mm SWA armoured wire, gate motor - 2.5mm SWA armoured wire, a charging port 5mm or 10mm wire?
Please advise
Thanks in advance

What does your electrician recommend?

And how long is the run? What volt drop calcs have been done?

So how big is the mansions front yard

If your charging point is USB it won't need that big a feed to it

:):):rolleyes:

Being serious you may be better installing ducting to the points where you think you need power now for use at a later date
USB charging station in my front yard is not a bad idea actually :)
It's not a mansion, the front yard is only about 40sqm.
The wires would go from the back of the house where the consumer unit is and around it.
Just put it in perspective the length of the wire from the consumer unit to the gate would be about 22m. I don't expect the other wires to be longer than that but shorter.

Hi All,

3. charging port

Please advise
Thanks in advance

Along with some facetious comments, you were also advised to engage with a local electrician.

Has the electrician who advised 10mm cable visted your premises or was the cable size concluded on the basis of a casual conversation?

I ask because you're again asking questions which suggest you want to plan this all yourself and expect to receive empirical answers from people who are not in full possession of the details required to provide such answers.

If you want to do this the cheap way, without paying for professional services, then that would be a matter for you (and potentially one for your home insurer, should any issues arise down the line).

10mm 3 core SWA is not a large cable by any stretch. After working with it a couple of times, you'll find it is very easy to manipulate and neatly route through walls.

I will give two pieces of advice: 1. Pay heed to minimum bend radii - they exist for good reason. 2. Avoid unnecessary joints.

Along with some facetious comments, you were also advised to engage with a local electrician.

Has the electrician who advised 10mm cable visted your premises or was the cable size concluded on the basis of a casual conversation?

I ask because you're again asking questions which suggest you want to plan this all yourself and expect to receive empirical answers from people who are not in full possession of the details required to provide such answers.

If you want to do this the cheap way, without paying for professional services, then that would be a matter for you (and potentially one for your home insurer, should any issues arise down the line).

10mm 3 core SWA is not a large cable by any stretch. After working with it a couple of times, you'll find it is very easy to manipulate and neatly route through walls.

I will give two pieces of advice: 1. Pay heed to minimum bend radii - they exist for good reason. 2. Avoid unnecessary joints.
The place has been visited by the electrician and he was presented with the whole plan, where and what needs the electricity. The man is full time electricians with 40+ years under his belt.

What he advised and ordered is a mix of 10mm, 2.5 and 1.5mm armoured wires.

I ask questions here to find out how much the answers can deviate and they can deviate a bit.
And yes I plan it, the electrician looked at the plan and he said where are issues what I have corrected.

If you are running armour for a hut / cave I would suggest you run EV ultra cable- this is 10mm / 16mm 3 core armour which has a cat 5/cat6 ethernet inside - this allows stuff such as a car charger later as well as a gate supply or CCTV furher down the garden (using an IP camera)

if you run a decent size armour to a hut / cave this will allow you to add other cables (such as outside lights etc) from there

If you are running armour for a hut / cave I would suggest you run EV ultra cable- this is 10mm / 16mm 3 core armour which has a cat 5/cat6 ethernet inside - this allows stuff such as a car charger later as well as a gate supply or CCTV furher down the garden (using an IP camera)

if you run a decent size armour to a hut / cave this will allow you to add other cables (such as outside lights etc) from there
This EV 10/16mm 3 core ultra cable sounds good to run it in the front. I ran 3x CAT5 armoured cables at the back.
The existing 10mm cable goes into the shed where the new consumer unit will go.
From there to another consumer unit in the office/man cave.

Reply to Electrifying front yard in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock