Search the forum,

Discuss EPC Rating Timing in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

Warlord2001c

Hi Everyone,

First post!!! Having my install in the next few weeks but Father in law also interested however his property significantly older (1960's Semi, solid walls, little to no loft insulation).

Long story short we reckon he could be an E rating now and a D once he has Solar PV so does that mean he is stuck on the lower FiT rate for his E rating or can he wait for the install to be commissioned and apply for the FiT based on him now having Solar PV and a therefore higher EPC rating?

Thanks in advance

Andy

On a new install the PV can contribute to the EPC rating. You need to have the new EPC ready to send off with your FiT application to your supplier. But a solid wall property with no loft insulation might struggle to get an E.

Thanks Ted, I'm going to help him get some loft insulation down asap so we can fix that one at least... He has modern double glazing, high efficiency lights throughout and a modern condensing boiler so fingers crossed on the rest.

Why not get an EPC done now, just ask them not to register it, then you will know which options are the cheapest to do to get your D grade, adding the PV in also.

Just had a EPC done on property thats wants Solar PV.
EPC scored F 38
How do i determine which measure gives the point score?? Looking at the EPC solar only gives 6 points. Customer does not want speed a fortune on insulating solid walls or new boiler.
Me thinks he has to improve insulation if he wants solar
Is there a way of round this without spending a fortune ??

EPC scored F 38
How do i determine which measure gives the point score?? Looking at the EPC solar only gives 6 points. Customer does not want speed a fortune on insulating solid walls or new boiler.

If he's on mains gas, it's worth finding out how efficient his current boiler is and how much a new A-rated boiler would help.

EPC scored F 38

If an F rating and he has an old boiler then he will almost certainly need to replace this to get a D rating. Along with a PV system it should get an D/C. Did a site survey for a house built in 1872 the other week, came out as an F rating with our EPC assessor, only way to get a D rating was to replace his 30 year old boiler with a modern condensing boiler. This with Solar PV raised it to a D/C rating

EPC scored F 38
the solar on the EPC as standard is only a 2.5kWp system though.

You need an arrangement with the EPC assessor that they'll work through a range of measures with you on their system without lodging the EPC to work out what the impact of various measures would be on the EPC, and try to come up with a cost effective package of measures that will bring the EPC up to a D with solar installed.

as a starting point, heating controls, thermostatic radiator valves, 100% energy efficient lighting, extra jacket on the hot water cylinder... are all worth somewhere around 1-3 points each depending how bad it was to start with, and all relatively low cost, plus solar PV can be significantly more than 6 points if it's 4kW south facing.

38 is right at the top of the F band, and we've definitely been able to bring properties up from that level to a D before now with a mix of those relatively low cost measures, the beauty of which is that all those measures should payback faster than solar PV itself especially on oil, so while you might be adding £500-1000 to the cost, the payback is improving.

doesn't always work out mind, particularly if they've got most of that lot done already.

Hi Everyone,

First post!!! Having my install in the next few weeks but Father in law also interested however his property significantly older (1960's Semi, solid walls, little to no loft insulation).

Long story short we reckon he could be an E rating now and a D once he has Solar PV so does that mean he is stuck on the lower FiT rate for his E rating or can he wait for the install to be commissioned and apply for the FiT based on him now having Solar PV and a therefore higher EPC rating?

Thanks in advance

Andy

can't see a 1960's build having solid walls. cavity walls have been the norm since 1920's

Reply to EPC Rating Timing in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back