Discuss Fittings rated for continuous duty? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I prefer the Crabtree, they are easier to fit giving a little more room to maneuver 10mm cable into position. They also have a deeper feed in for the cable & if I remember correctly 2 securing screws per 'pin'. I would always prefer to fit a wall mounted isolator but few customers will (understandably) wear the additional cost of chasing, plastering etc.
I agree, Crabtree are the best. A further handy tip is that the Mk 50A isolator and Crabtree screwdriver positions are different by 90 degrees.
If some muppet has fitted either of them in a certain orientation right next to a wall it is almost impossible to tighten the back screws and it's always better to swap to the other brand.

I don't fit showers or cookers so I haven't looked at switch offerings recently, but are there any where the switch mechanism fits into the box first and then a cover fits over the top, gridswitch style, like some of the 1960s / 70s types? Thinking back to the traditional MK portrait 2G cooker switch, you would put the cables into the terminals, seat the switch mechanism and then tighten from the front, so that once tightened it wouldn't be disturbed.

One thing I didn't mention and that is decreasing quality.
This is sometimes intentional and is called planned obsolescence, you don't see it as much with electrical accessories due to the safety aspect but some countries aren't as concerned with safety but either way they can still reduce quality even if keeping them safe

There is an interesting video which shows the history of the light bulb and the "Phoebus Cartel" where all manufacturers got together to reduce the lifespan of light bulbs to increase profits...

I don't fit showers or cookers so I haven't looked at switch offerings recently, but are there any where the switch mechanism fits into the box first and then a cover fits over the top, gridswitch style, like some of the 1960s / 70s types? Thinking back to the traditional MK portrait 2G cooker switch, you would put the cables into the terminals, seat the switch mechanism and then tighten from the front, so that once tightened it wouldn't be disturbed.
Nope

This is sometimes intentional and is called planned obsolescence, you don't see it as much with electrical accessories due to the safety aspect but some countries aren't as concerned with safety but either way they can still reduce quality even if keeping them safe

There is an interesting video which shows the history of the light bulb and the "Phoebus Cartel" where all manufacturers got together to reduce the lifespan of light bulbs to increase profits...

I don't think there is a conspiracy here .. but I do think 5he sort of loadings we are talking about with things like electric boilers and single phase car chargers have just never been seen before .. I was looking at a 14kw electric boiler today ..so 14000÷230=60.8A .. but the paperwork with it says must be installed with an 80A circuit.
If its a holiday house the tenant may well turn the heating on max for days .. after all its free for them.
Hell.. that's the size of a house supply these days .. let alone a flat at 60A probably.
These boilers are used where there is no gas .. so the property will likely be cooking on electricity also .. put on a kettle .. toaster .. boiling water tap ..coffee machine .. times that by 8 or 10 flats in a building even if they are on 80A supply and soon things are going ---- up so to speak..

Reply to Fittings rated for continuous duty? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net