Currently reading:
Errrrr disgusting!!!!!! Nasty side of electrical work!

Discuss Errrrr disgusting!!!!!! Nasty side of electrical work! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Jay Sparks

-
Mentor
Arms
Reaction score
Hi guys & gals,

So went to a call out the other day, fast food shop. Won't say wat fast food it was!! Anyway, one of the machines had stopped working. It was on its own dedicated circuit and the rcbo wouldn't turn on. So, I opened the cu (in a cellar) and a load of water peeed out. The bus bar and earth bar was green and so were a few of the cable terminations. So I suggested moving the board about a metre or so to the right. Easy enough job, as all the cables came from that way any way.

So i go round today to fit a couple a batttens to the wall with a piece of board on them for the cu.

The owner came down and wanted to see were the water was coming from. So i whipped my torch out and had a look into a cavity above and slightly behind the cu. I reached in to pull out what i thought was an old leather work mans glove!!!! Well i pulled this thing out and with a big girly screech, i dropped it to the floor. The owner bab'd himself, ha ha ha. It was only a big --- rat that had been dead for a long, long time.

The owner, still shaking, says to me "don't you like rats"? I said "not really that bothered about em but i don't want to be grabbing a dead one", hence the girly screech when i realised what it was.

So, what's the worst thing you guys ha e found, dead or alive, when doing a job?

Jay

3 story terrace Georgian house, hoarders with a lot of dog crap and other waste ground in everywhere....

It got better though, put our own 3 way board up for wetroom supply, connecting our earth and Hnnnnnnggg, shock off main earth terminal. 140v coming off a board labelled '3rd flood', got up there and rotting food and cack stacked everywhere. After a hour of poking around in a gas mask*, Never found the fault....or the board....or any sockets...

*Use a S10 gas mask for chasing and other similar tasks, better than a dust mask and goggles 'instant fog up' combination

1 - turned up to do rewire of a house that we already knew was a bad one, but 4 of us with extra money figured it was worth a bad day.

the owner answered the door, burped, asked us to hang on a sec while he had a slash in the corner of the lounge!

we just turned and left!

2 - Went to a customer / friend's house to sort out lights off. quickly narrowed down to pendant in downstairs room. removes lid, dropped down on flex and soaked me! "it's full of water" says me.

so, upstairs to find out what's leaking? no leaks, just a toilet with more p..s soaked into the carpet around the bog than you could imagine!!

it must have soaked through the carpet, floorboards, built up in void before running through hole into pendant.

mates rates out the window immediately!

3 - a used jonny, tied up all nice and neat, just left on the carpet! didn't realise i was such an accurate shot with a flick of the long driver at my mate!

- - - Updated - - -

1 - turned up to do rewire of a house that we already knew was a bad one, but 4 of us with extra money figured it was worth a bad day.

the owner answered the door, burped, asked us to hang on a sec while he had a slash in the corner of the lounge!

we just turned and left!

2 - Went to a customer / friend's house to sort out lights off. quickly narrowed down to pendant in downstairs room. removes lid, dropped down on flex and soaked me! "it's full of water" says me.

so, upstairs to find out what's leaking? no leaks, just a toilet with more p..s soaked into the carpet around the bog than you could imagine!!

it must have soaked through the carpet, floorboards, built up in void before running through hole into pendant.

mates rates out the window immediately!

3 - a used jonny, tied up all nice and neat, just left on the carpet! didn't realise i was such an accurate shot with a flick of the long driver at my mate!

opened a loft hatch once to find a wasps nest directly above it and it was huge it was about a foot above the loft hatch and was attatched to the room perlin it was about 5ft in height and 2 ft across and hummed put the wilies up me i can tell you loft hatch shut very quickly

I had exactly the same thing when I was working for a builder.

I told him I wasn't going up there as long as the nest was there. He didn't believe me telling him about the nest so went up to see for himself & got his head badly stung.

Oh Happy days .... I thought I'd never stop laughing.

Thinking back quite a few years, I think maybe the worst job I had to do was in a rental property in Felling (it's a place in Geordieland)

It was a house & I was hired by the landlord to: 1) Remove a gas fire with back boiler from the front room. 2) Remove the water storage tanks from the loft. 3) fit a Combi boiler in the kitchen (to replace the back boiler & tanks) 4) fit a radiator in the kitchen. 5) replace the sink top in the kitchen - which involved re-jigging the pipework under the sink.

The house was occupied by a 50 something scruffy woman who stank of cheap booze & cigarettes, a little girl aged about two and two dogs of the Boxer variety. The whole house stank of dog pee, & the carpet in the kitchen was soaked with it.

It was while I was working in the kitchen that the little girl wandered in & promply squatted & peed on the carpet - so it wasn't just the dogs that used the kitchen as a toilet !!

I was at that job for two days and at the end of it my clothes were smelling as bad as the carpet. The landlord turned up at the end of the job & looked horrified when he realised what a state the place was in. He apologised to me for the awful conditions that I had been working in & gave me an extra £50 to help compensate for it.

The next call I got from the landlord was for me to do a job in his own house which was much better !!

the worst one for me:
me and another spark were sent to a disused army building in Chester to check some emergency lighting and fire alarms. when we got there we found that it had been taken over by squatters of the drug-taking variety. apart from all the damage they caused such as smashed light fittings sockets etc, there were sinks full of urine, baths full of poo, used needles everywhere you looked and it stank to high heaven. we had to call in a security company to make the building secure again and a pro cleaning company who went in with masks and suits. they found 100s of used needles amonst other stuff.
when it was all clear, and secure we popped back a few weeks later. the squatters had broken into an old ramshackle shed at the back of the building. So as we walked towards it, thinking about knocking it down so they couldnt use it anymore, we looked inside to find heaps of used needles, and childrens colouring books and crayons, we just felt sick.

Felling.....!!!!

i know some one from felling however he considers him self to be from St James' Village....

i got him to remind me of what they called the road at the front of the development.....!!! The "what" Bypass ..

he quickly shut up...! lol

Whickham View was the worst estate ive worked on so far...!

Was on 4 new houses last year one of the lads went in the NEW loft to find a box smelling a bit he opened it up and inside
was a hairy turd, think one of the builders had done it save going down to the site loo. :001_9898:

i once had a turd in the engine room on one of her Maj's Submarines..!! gently caught it with a nice clean rag and disposed of it in the bilge near the pump strainer..! it disolved and got flushed away...

another lad did a similar thing but packaged it up in a rag and bin bag, sent it forward for waste disposal and it got compressed and splurted out every where..!!

the engineering department got a telling off by the XO

Whickham View is bad mate but did you ever have the pleasure of visiting the old fold? Or as I liked to call it, the land that time forgot.
A mate was working on the decent homes job on the opposite side of the road when a resident/inmate got upset by his mother, dragged her outside in her dressing gown and administered a severe beating (who in their right mind would beat up a parent) he ripped off the dressing gown so she was totally naked too. So my mate and a few lads chased him off and helped the woman back into the house. About 15 minutes later a convoy of cars sped on to the estate carrying a load of scumbags with baseball bats.
After making good their escape the lads were put on a different site.

A few years ago we done the PIR test a 'pizza house' on the Leicester sq in London, we were there for three nights there were rats all over the place. The cockroaches knew when the staff had gone and used to come out of the woodwork.
It put me off pizzas to say the least

One time guy came to me telling there was a dead rat in the plant, went over to under some shelves where they had moved stuff, yep rat dead in the corner. OK gloves on, pick up rat uhh, large pile of maggots dripping from it! Quickly bagged and burnt.

Also did a job clearing a warehouse were the owner had "gone bankrupt"; he had stored lots of stuff in there, really dangerous chemicals, wastes, and also a lot of specimens in jars, I do remember an eight legged pig foetus, try not to remember the rest.

Mine is nowhere near as bad as the above, but makes me laugh.

Was powering up a new laser.
Opening up the control box, although i could not find the carcass, gave the most wonderful smell of decomposing rat.
It was one of those that you could not see the wiring without sticking your head right in.

The bit that made me laugh is when we powered the laser up, the whole factory stank as the carcass was slowly cooked.

Nothing too see, but the images in my mind were not pleasant.

Was working on a lamp column once, I was having trouble getting the door off.... after a while fighting with the door the thing finally gave and to my horror about a million EARWIGS!! landed in my lap!Cheers!!........ I though Took ages to get them all off! Lol :D

Just last week,I fitted a control box at the entrance to a property,it was one of those jobs that took time
Rawl bolted to wall,swa to terminate and control cables to play with

Opposite the path where I stood was some bushes and a sewer pipe/manhole

It was one of them that you often come across that looks Ok but stinks really bad
I have a good stomach for filth usually,but after a few minutes, the rank stink had me sucking air through the mouth to try and cope,ugh
No dead rats because they would have refused to put up with the filth

Water dripping in mouth from a fridge in a mortuary.
Pigeon ****ting in my mouth.
Buying a cooked chicken at lunch time from a burger van, finding it still had its head on.
Hypodermic needles falling on my head after taking down light.
Repairing lights in undercroft in 2 foot of water and discovering its sewage.
Call out to a flooded carpark find a fountain of sewage from about ten foot. The guy I was with puked.
Putting a kango through a sewage pipe and it filling up the trench then shovelling it out.
Putting in a ring main for electric heating in a flat with so much rubbish I couldn`t see over it in some rooms. Mounted one heater 4 foot of ground.
Working in old peoples home and an old lady running round naked screaming.
The list goes on.

Water dripping in mouth from a fridge in a mortuary.
Pigeon ****ting in my mouth.
Buying a cooked chicken at lunch time from a burger van, finding it still had its head on.
Hypodermic needles falling on my head after taking down light.
Repairing lights in undercroft in 2 foot of water and discovering its sewage.
Call out to a flooded carpark find a fountain of sewage from about ten foot. The guy I was with puked.
Putting a kango through a sewage pipe and it filling up the trench then shovelling it out.
Putting in a ring main for electric heating in a flat with so much rubbish I couldn`t see over it in some rooms. Mounted one heater 4 foot of ground.
Working in old peoples home and an old lady running round naked screaming.
The list goes on.

you sound like a glutten for punshment

Once worked in a house and the woman was a relative of the boss,stood chatting and drinking a tin of strong lager whilst chatting to us as we worked,next thing was she p****d her pants and just carried on chatting like nothing had happened,other weird one same area went to house and on back of a door was the standard picture of Bob Marley,you know the one with a big joint in his mouth.Anyway I passed a comment on this and after a bit of rummaging in a drawer the young lady rang her boyfriend and started to swear at him down the phone,when she had finished I casually enquired if there was a problem to which she replied "yes I was going to roll us a joint each but that greedy so and so smoked it all and we only bought it last night".Must have been standard practice to give everybody a joint rather than a drink in their house.

we worked a fair bit on wter treatment works for a while, and was tightening a nut n bolt above inlet channel. my mate joked " ha don't drop your spa........." just as i did! i watched in horror as the spanner shaped indent in the river of ****e gradually disappeared towards the works, but there was no way i was trying to get it back! and i HATE losing tools!

had a lovely job of re-lamping all 5 floors of a local multi story carpark. went back to my van at lunchtime to find a dead pigeon on my windscreen. put me right off my lunch as the underneath was missing

Reply to Errrrr disgusting!!!!!! Nasty side of electrical work! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back