Discuss First fix wiring advice in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello, I've just joined this forum as I am hoping someone could help me out with some advice.

My parent's in law are renovating a cottage and have asked me to basically project manage it as they've had some pretty bad experiences. I have very limited knowledge and experience in construction apart from my architecture part 1 degree (so I am not totally crazy taking on this project). However, please do be mindful that I know nothing about electrics.

I've taken it on and I am trying to make some sense of the first fix electrics that has gone in. I was following the wires around to see where the plaster board could be placed and cut wholes for the second fix etc. However, I found that a number of wires had been fixes along the joists but didn't connect to anything, it would just be one end coming down one wall and one end at the other wall opposite...? Could anyone tell me why the electrician may have done this, is this common practice or was this a mistake? Should I plaster over the wires and leave the ends where the are at socket level?

Thank you in advance for your advice,
Veronica

cannot advise without seeing pics. then again, do you trust your electrician?

Hello, I've just joined this forum as I am hoping someone could help me out with some advice.

My parent's in law are renovating a cottage and have asked me to basically project manage it as they've had some pretty bad experiences. I have very limited knowledge and experience in construction apart from my architecture part 1 degree (so I am not totally crazy taking on this project). However, please do be mindful that I know nothing about electrics.

I've taken it on and I am trying to make some sense of the first fix electrics that has gone in. I was following the wires around to see where the plaster board could be placed and cut wholes for the second fix etc. However, I found that a number of wires had been fixes along the joists but didn't connect to anything, it would just be one end coming down one wall and one end at the other wall opposite...? Could anyone tell me why the electrician may have done this, is this common practice or was this a mistake? Should I plaster over the wires and leave the ends where the are at socket level?

Thank you in advance for your advice,
Veronica
Hi Veronica, welcome to the forum. If you google prescribed zones then you will see how cables should be run.

LMGTFY - http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Prescribed+zones

Maybe post a few pictures so we can look.

Wires running up one wall and down the next sounds normal for first fix. Cabling dmfor a socket circuit would start at the Consumer unit and run to the first socket and from each socjet to the next (and often from the last socket back to the CU to form a ring. A similar thing will happen with the lights with power either run from light to light or switch to switch. Have the electricians fixed back boxes at the end of these cables? If so, plaster around them but leave the boxes open and not filled. Plasteres should no what to do here (but often fill the boxes which will annoy the electricians come second fix)

Its probably worth having a quick chat woth the electricians to check they have finished first fix, find out if theres anything they still need access to, and check theyve fitted everything that your in laws require and in the correct locations.

Veronica, You say your in laws have had some pretty bad experiences, they have therefore asked you to project manage a renovation despite you having no experience!? From your post it sounds like you are about to have a go at plaster boarding and plastering. I see a bit of history repeating itself here and them having another bad experience unless you ask the person who ran those cables to let you know why they are there and what they are for!

Wires running up one wall and down the next sounds normal for first fix. Cabling dmfor a socket circuit would start at the Consumer unit and run to the first socket and from each socjet to the next (and often from the last socket back to the CU to form a ring. A similar thing will happen with the lights with power either run from light to light or switch to switch. Have the electricians fixed back boxes at the end of these cables? If so, plaster around them but leave the boxes open and not filled. Plasteres should no what to do here (but often fill the boxes which will annoy the electricians come second fix)

Its probably worth having a quick chat woth the electricians to check they have finished first fix, find out if theres anything they still need access to, and check theyve fitted everything that your in laws require and in the correct locations.

Thanks Shaun1, this is immensely helpful. I think you’re right - must be part of a ring (just learnt what they are so thank you!). Slowly I’m learning :)

Presumably you gave the electrician a plan of was required and where? I imagine the cables will be run in the best route to get there, bearing in mind prescribed zones as mentioned above

Welcome , considered you are projected the job ,maybe you should ask the spark in what order he is doing the job considering your inlaws are paying for the work. .
The possibly the spark will tell you
It very hard trying to think sitting miles away thinking for you .
Each spark has a different way of working and putting in for the first fix .
in the end if you are not satisfied
You can always tell him.

Welcome , considered you are projected the job ,maybe you should ask the spark in what order he is doing the job considering your inlaws are paying for the work. .
The possibly the spark will tell you
It very hard trying to think sitting miles away thinking for you .
Each spark has a different way of working and putting in for the first fix .
in the end if you are not satisfied
You can always tell him.
If you know what you are talking about that is.

Reply to First fix wiring advice in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock