Search the forum,

Discuss Free solar panels in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

keniff

-
Reaction score
What's the crack with these adverts everywhere saying free solar panels if your facing south? Is there a catch or a hidden charge? What do they achieve by giving them away for free?!

So what would I gain from having them? I haven't got a clue about the whole solar scheme never been interested but im seeing more and more pop up in my area

You would gain xKWH free electricity during the hours when daylight is falling on them. Not much really is it?
I'd be wanting £££ off them + the free electricity but then again if I was putting panels on my roof I'd be buying them so I'd get the FiT

On the average house it could save you around £100-£150 per year on your electricity bill, that is if you are willing to lease your roof out to a 3rd party for 25 years.

The downside of this is if you want to sell or re mortgage you would have a 3rd party that has an interest in your property, which is already causing problems as some lenders will not lend, and some others will not give you the best rates available as their risk is increased, so by saving £100-£150 per year could end up costing you more in the long run.

If you are interested in PV, my advise would be to borrow the money at say 3.5% and then see a return of around 10% (FIT payments and savings) and keep sole ownership of your property.

I hope this helps

Reply to Free solar panels in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock