Currently reading:
Gas and water earth bonding

Discuss Gas and water earth bonding in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Just done some small work in a newly fitted kitchen,
There is no main earth bonding to gas and water. All plastered and decorated walls in an old stone building with no clear route from gas and water main inlets to consumer unit on other side of building. However, as part of the work, I disconnected a cooker circuit no longer required.

Is it possible to use the line and neutral of this 6mm t/e cable as an earth bond for the gas and water if correctly connected, marked and labelled at each end etc. ??

Problem is regs show independant 10mmsq cable for water and gas, so you wont do it with just the cooker cable. If both services are plastic incoming you may have another solution for say gas and then use that one for water but one way or another you need to get 10mmsq from each service to the MET. If anything is negotiable is the distance from the incoming service providing it does not branch out you could earth it further away.
Sorry cannot be more help

Can you use the cooker cable conduit to bring a 10mm earth down? If so, 1 x 10mm cable can connect both supplies if unbroken.

Will need to look a bit deeper i think.
So far can only find cooker cable in loft above kitchen (only ground floor there) then disappears through 3 foot former external wall into plaster at ceiling level with occupied flat above. After two more rooms it appears at consumer unit.

This ones easy. Get 4 meter longer bits of 10mm earth. Clamp one each to the gas and water and poke the other end into a hole in the wall. Connect the other 2 into the met and poke the ends into the cieling. Voila, bobs yer uncle main bonding and no mess......
Thats what the gas fitters ask me to do anyway when they wanna sign off a boiler.
Take with salt.

Last edited by a moderator:
guys your missing the point entirely!!

never mind the 10mm sizing and independent cables crap (please read up on TT systems and bonding both services with one cable)

Earth Cable has to be G/Y through out its length, so utilising red/black cable is instantly a no no!!

so the fact is this

A) you have carried out works in a special location be it notifiyable or non notifiyable work
B) you failed to notice the missing bonding at quotation level

C) what are you going to say on the MW cert where it says "has all checks been carried out" "bonding etc"

best get the thinking cap on buddie!

Last edited by a moderator:
guys your missing the point entirely!!

never mind the 10mm sizing and independent cables crap (please read up on TT systems and bonding both services with one cable)

Earth Cable has to be G/Y through out its length, so utilising red/black cable is instantly a no no!!

so the fact is this

A) you have carried out works in a special location be it notifiyable or non notifiyable work
B) you failed to notice the missing bonding at quotation level

C) what are you going to say on the MW cert where it says "has all checks been carried out" "bonding etc"

best get the thinking cap on buddie!

Was pondering the cable indentifier, what page does it say needs to be throughout its length, cos was struggling to find it.
Oh and whats special about a kitchen ?

Last edited:
514.4.2 Protective conductor rules...

and by special location = part p notifiable area (not as special as a bath or shower)

i would give it a code 2 as some Muppet might think its a redundant cable and chop it out!!

514.4.2 Protective conductor rules...

and by special location = part p notifiable area (not as special as a bath or shower)

i would give it a code 2 as some Muppet might think its a redundant cable and chop it out!!

Yep, that rules it out for sure - thx
Thought you mean't notifiable but its one of my pet hates that kitchens get referred to as special :)

end of day mate, this is an internet forum with many many many different heads and takes on the regulations...!

if you were to ever end up in court defending your actions its YOUR interpenetration of the book that's going to either sink or swim, not joe from screwfuxs forum....!

Reply to Gas and water earth bonding in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock