Discuss Have I got a poor EICR? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Confused

-
DIY
Reaction score
Please help a confused home owner. I commissioned an EICR on my recent house purchase.

1st electrician said "You don't need an EICR. You need an RCBO. Anyone who tells you it needs rewiring is wrong".

2nd electrician did part of the EICR & summarised "This property has many factors which make it electrically unsafe. I have suggested a complete rewire." There are no details about the unsafe factors apart from the list of C1, C2 and C3 conditions.

The C1 conditions are :
4.8 Manual operation of circuit-breakers and RCD(s) to prove disconnection (643.10)
4.18 RCD(s) provided for fault protection - includes RCBOs (411.4.204; 411.5.2; 531.2)
4.19 RCD(s) provided for additional protection / requirements - includes RCBOs (411.3.3; 415.1)
5.12.5 for circuits supplying luminaires within domestic (household) premises (411.3.4)
6.4 Presence of supplementary bonding conductors, unless not required by BS 7671:2018 (701.415.2)

I expected better detail than this - perhaps to pass to several contractors to provide quotes. Is this the level of detail that can be expected in an EICR? Is the list meaningful to a professional? Have I been given a poor EICR?

I'd be most grateful for any comments.

I suspect that each one of these BS7671 regulations stated are absent in the installation. Both Electricians are right. The second one is more precise and leads to the possibilty that the installation is likely to be unsafe.

I suspect that each one of these BS7671 regulations stated are absent in the installation. Both Electricians are right. The second one is more precise and leads to the possibilty that the installation is likely to be unsafe.

How is the second one right when they've given a C1 for light fittings without an RCD?

Without doing the inspection myself I can't really comment too far on what the condition of the installation might be.
I will say that none of the issues listed appear to constitute a C1 as stated. The observation descriptions will have been generated by the certification software as they seem very generic. The report should have been fully explained and discussed with you. None of the issues listed would indicate a rewire would be needed but other issues may exists that would support that view.

Whilst it could need a rewire as I have not seen it a c1 is very extreme and unwarranted unless there is a detail missing

Thank you for your responses.
Yes, the observations seem to be generic and computer generated. Rather than have the report explained to me I would have preferred it to make some sense - ideally to me, but at least to an electrician.
Surely the observations need to specify what the problem is. For example "Presence of supplementary bonding conductors" doesn't really say much.
Is this normal text for an EICR?

Was it stayed before hand that I was a visual inspection or anything like that? And out of interest what have you been charged it is often an indicator to what standard the work will be done to

Thank you for your responses.
Yes, the observations seem to be generic and computer generated. Rather than have the report explained to me I would have preferred it to make some sense - ideally to me, but at least to an electrician.
Surely the observations need to specify what the problem is. For example "Presence of supplementary bonding conductors" doesn't really say much.
Could you possibly upload a copy of the EICR with your own personal details and those of the contractor redacted please? This will help us better scrutinise the report and spot any irregularities and/or inconsistencies.

1st electrician cannot say you don’t need a rewire, unless a full test and inspect has been carried out.

2 nd electrician is also wrong in his C1’s. I would not categorise any of the things listed as C1. Without completing the EICR in full and giving you details how can you make an informed decision.

It may be the case you do need a full rewire and new board to recifify any issue. Or it may be a good recommendation to get this done or you may not need anything done.

It’s u;fortunate you’ve managed to get 2 electricians who have given poor service and advice.

"Presence of supplementary bonding conductors" doesn't really say much.
Not really. It should really state something like "supplementary bonding not connected between extraneous-conductive-parts and exposed-conductive-parts within a room containing a bath/shower" presuming that it was in fact required for this installation. To me it would be a C2 defect - I can't fathom how it could be argued to be a C1 defect.

Thanks to all.
Risteard - that was the sort of text I expected - written by the electrician rather than computer generated or the classification of the observation.

The original charge was going to be £150. The electrician said he'd reduce this to £90 as he had found sufficient defects to recommend a rewire (he didn't tell me what the defects were though). He said he'd send a quote for the rewire (still waiting). He said he wouldn't do a full report as he didn't want to waste my money when remedial work was definitely needed. I did agree to this.

I'm now wondering whether I wasted my money on the report. I don't understand "4.8 Manual operation of circuit-breakers and RCD(s) to prove disconnection (643.10)". If this isn't sufficient information to ask an electrician to quote to fix this, I have wasted my money.

I don't understand why finding sufficient defects should reduce the price. The more defects the more writing.

The last one I did about a week ago had something like 38 defects which was heartbreaking to write up and certainly wouldn't cause me to suggest discounting it.

That said my charge was well north of your £150 anyway.

In my opinion you'd have been better with the Report - then you could have had others price remedial works if necessary. That said, if that was the standard of the Report I'm not sure how much having it would have helped.

I presume he's suggesting that either there isn't a linked main switch or that it isn't disconnecting all poles as intended, but really that's conjecture based on the observation listed.

Could you post a picture of your fuse box, meter and incoming supply etc? This won't help us with the classification codes given on the report but will give us a clue to the type and age of installation etc.

Strima - Thank you. It is a tiny ancient cottage that I'm doing up but I don't live there or nearby at present so can't easily take a photo.
There is a small extension which was added in 1993. The consumer unit for the whole house is in the extension, thus I can date exactly. The wiring in the older part of the house may be older than 1993 though.
You're all being very helpful. Thank you.

Has he tested the actual wiring Or just visual observation? You may just need a new CU and bit of bonding in places if the wires are fine.

However If the wiring is very old and you're doing the house up then this is probably the best time to do the rewiring. Such opportunity does not come by very often. Best to get it out of the way now.

Hi - it does sound like you are unhappy with the advice that you’ve got so far. Maybe you could find an Electrician who is recommended by a friend? It does sound like there are several faults that need looking into. For me, a rewire is not normally required to solve faults :) .

The observation are just relating to the lack of rcd protection and supplementry bonding, both of which can be rectified without a rewire.
But as Andy78 says, it's not possible to say whether a rewire is required without testing the installation.
Did either of the electricians report on the condition of the installation?
ie the cable.

Reply to Have I got a poor EICR? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock