Currently reading:
How many eicr in a day

Discuss How many eicr in a day in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

magnoliafan89

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hi guys whats your take of how many EICRs can be done properly in a day average of 5 to 8 circuits ranging from 1 bed flats to 3 bed houses?? This would also include travel and also doing any repairs whilst there?

No I'm from the South East and I think we have the opposite situation here in that we have too many tradesmen chasing too little work

Don't how you come to the conclusion you do, here is 5 pages of jobs not to far from you from a very quick search

A large testing organisation I once worked for required 50 circuits a day
The use of the limitations section helps the tester to limit the amount of work required e.g. Many will place a limit of 10% testing ie 1in every 10 circuits are tested..to do otherwise subjects the customers to the potential of massive costs of (in The case of some of the rates quoted in this site) many thousands of pounds, and of course a problem for the sparky in trying to get paid for the work . We all have to be sensible and accept that anywhere near a 100% test is not achievable at a reasonable commercial cost

So 50 circuits a day has now come down to 5 tested circuits and 45 noted or is it 500 circuits a day with 50 tested circuits and 450 noted
100% tests are viable yes they are not as cheap as your EICR's but wouldn't cost the thousands you claim unless it was a very large installation but then again it depends what peace of mind the customer wants

I'm sorry if I've dissolutioned you but that's the way the cookie crumbles and testing a large installation would be like painting the Fourth Bridge..it would never end .

Some very large installations are like that and the customer / dutyholder is prepared to pay that price to avoid the possibility of talking to people wearing wigs who may decide that a stay in one of Her Majesties hotels is necessary because someone died or was seriously injured

EICR's are not some sort of game when you sign it you are making a statement that could and would be used as evidence in a court either for or against you, I have always found it odd that the client does not have to sign it in the limitations section to agree to any limitations as currently the tester does not have any proof that the customer was made aware of them and agreed them after the EICR is done
I also think that the certificates should be changed so green is a satisfactory EICR and red is an unsatisfactory EICR it would make it a lot clearer for everyone involved in the management of premises where a valid EICR is a requirement

Brian.... I’m a little perturbed, I used to live in Rainham Essex prior to my departure from the UK. There was so much work. Even when the financial crash of 2008 happened. My day rate was still £150 a day and I was a subbie like yourself.
It doesn’t look good when your pricing other sparks out of the market with ridiculously low rates. Value yourself and Value the Trade.
Over here if you pull that B/S you’ll be blacklisted from the wholesalers. Sparks talk we know what the ball park figures should be. That way it’s a fair crack on your customer relations skills rather than a race to the bottom.

Funnily enough there is a massive Tesco in rainham village. Hit them up.

I'm sure nobody would condemn an installation for having red/black colours!!!
well no sensible operator would but I've had a few inquiries in The past over such an issue on the basis that as it is contary to the regs it requires a rewire.
[automerge]1595782284[/automerge]
Brian.... I’m a little perturbed, I used to live in Rainham Essex prior to my departure from the UK. There was so much work. Even when the financial crash of 2008 happened. My day rate was still £150 a day and I was a subbie like yourself.
It doesn’t look good when your pricing other sparks out of the market with ridiculously low rates. Value yourself and Value the Trade.
Over here if you pull that B/S you’ll be blacklisted from the wholesalers. Sparks talk we know what the ball park figures should be. That way it’s a fair crack on your customer relations skills rather than a race to the bottom.

Funnily enough there is a massive Tesco in rainham village. Hit them up.
an interesting message but I can assure you the wholesalers over here will sell to anyone trade or public alike..also I don't see it as my job to hike my prices simply to allow others to continue to charge inflated prices..my job is to carry out the work at the cheapest possible price i can to compete with others...if they can't compete them they have to organise their business in such a way as to try and undercut me ...that's the way the capitalist system works .
[automerge]1595782466[/automerge]
well no sensible operator would but I've had a few inquiries in The past over such an issue on the basis that as it is contary to the regs it requires a rewire.

an interesting message but I can assure you the wholesalers over here will sell to anyone trade or public alike..also I don't see it as my job to hike my prices simply to allow others to continue to charge inflated prices..my job is to carry out the work at the cheapest possible price i can to compete with others...if they can't compete them they have to organise their business in such a way as to try and undercut me ...that's the way the capitalist system works .
in addition I'm not sure what the job market is like in Rainha m Essex as I've never been there
[automerge]1595783350[/automerge]
Don't how you come to the conclusion you do, here is 5 pages of jobs not to far from you from a very quick search

So 50 circuits a day has now come down to 5 tested circuits and 45 noted or is it 500 circuits a day with 50 tested circuits and 450 noted
100% tests are viable yes they are not as cheap as your EICR's but wouldn't cost the thousands you claim unless it was a very large installation but then again it depends what peace of mind the customer wants

Some very large installations are like that and the customer / dutyholder is prepared to pay that price to avoid the possibility of talking to people wearing wigs who may decide that a stay in one of Her Majesties hotels is necessary because someone died or was seriously injured

EICR's are not some sort of game when you sign it you are making a statement that could and would be used as evidence in a court either for or against you, I have always found it odd that the client does not have to sign it in the limitations section to agree to any limitations as currently the tester does not have any proof that the customer was made aware of them and agreed them after the EICR is done
I also think that the certificates should be changed so green is a satisfactory EICR and red is an unsatisfactory EICR it would make it a lot clearer for everyone involved in the management of premises where a valid EICR is a requirement
I think you need to read the whole of this message....the 50 circuits a day relates to particularly odious company I worked for some time ago and although that's what they wanted it was clearly not possible to do so in order to keep the peace is us testers would simply log the circuits do a few tests write down a few observations and pack up for the day
[automerge]1595783703[/automerge]

[automerge]1595782466[/automerge]

in addition I'm not sure what the job market is like in Rainha m Essex as I've never been there
[automerge]1595783350[/automerge]

I think you need to read the whole of this message....the 50 circuits a day relates to particularly odious company I worked for some time ago and although that's what they wanted it was clearly not possible to do so in order to keep the peace is us testers would simply log the circuits do a few tests write down a few observations and pack up for the day
On the question of limitations most companies will list the limitations and terms of test in their general terms and conditions in that way the customer(should they bother to read) said terms and conditions would know what they are paying for, so complaining that they are not getting what they expected after the event doesn't cut much ice

Last edited:
Have a look at the time-cost-quality triangle. I'd think that your job is to make money as an electriian isn't it? You're a business first and a sparky second. Do you not have a business model or USP? Just because somebody charges more than another doesn't make them per se expensive or 'ripping the customer off'. I see that comment a lot on the forum. By way of example if we were to both price to rewire a house and you estimated £5K and I £8K thats my price. Neither of us have gun to the customers head and its a free market so the customer can choose which company they go with.

I dont want to depress you but my 2nd year apprentice earns more than the figures you quote and I charge out per hour more than you per day/per EICR. I really dont think that a race to the bottom by charging so little is how a capitalistic society works? I really feel your pain and wish something could be done to help you increase revenue.

BTW @telectrix is semi retired and must be at least 300 years old :tearsofjoy: and I bet he doesn't struggle to charge more than your quoted rates

my tuppence woth. brian is misguided if he thinks that % testing means only testin some circuits and not others.
% testing means that you test all circuits, but only a percentage of the points on those circuits. an EICR that misses out circuits is like a MOT without checking brakes. pointless, worthless and not worth the paper.

Have a look at the time-cost-quality triangle. I'd think that your job is to make money as an electriian isn't it? You're a business first and a sparky second. Do you not have a business model or USP? Just because somebody charges more than another doesn't make them per se expensive or 'ripping the customer off'. I see that comment a lot on the forum. By way of example if we were to both price to rewire a house and you estimated £5K and I £8K thats my price. Neither of us have gun to the customers head and its a free market so the customer can choose which company they go with.

I dont want to depress you but my 2nd year apprentice earns more than the figures you quote and I charge out per hour more than you per day/per EICR. I really dont think that a race to the bottom by charging so little is how a capitalistic society works? I really feel your pain and wish something could be done to help you increase revenue.

BTW @telectrix is semi retired and must be at least 300 years old :tearsofjoy: and I bet he doesn't struggle to charge more than your quoted rates
Not too sure I know what the time cost quality triangle is let alone a UPS and my business plan is get the work do what I need to do and get paid...isn't that anyone's plan in life, we all have to do whatever it takes to achieve this
[automerge]1595792152[/automerge]

I thank you for your concern and advice but my experience is that it is always the lowest price that gets the job, given your example of the house rewire i know I would go for the cheapest every time,....were those actual prices for a house rewire in your area of do you have very large houses in your area ?
[automerge]1595792656[/automerge]
my tuppence woth. brian is misguided if he thinks that % testing means only testin some circuits and not others.
% testing means that you test all circuits, but only a percentage of the points on those circuits. an EICR that misses out circuits is like a MOT without checking brakes. pointless, worthless and not worth the paper.
Whether a certificate is worthless or not is highly subjective, as long as the customer is getting what they require i don't see a problem with the extent of the test carried out as long as it's what they want, to be honest if the customer wanted a blank certificate I'd be only too happy to oblige with a blank signed copy and charge according.

Last edited:
o_Oo_O my bad that was meant to be a month ?? bloody wish it were a week!!
Gutted, I had my CV ready and everything :mad:
[automerge]1595794473[/automerge]
The use of the limitations section helps the tester to limit the amount of work required e.g. Many will place a limit of 10% testing ie 1in every 10 circuits are tested..

I have read all your post. You are clearly stating you only test 1 in 10 circuits.

If you look back through I think you will see I clearly know exactly what is involve with testing and inspecting, and much more importantly I know exactly what I expect and what gets paid for.
This limited percentage approache is done annually.

I have seen many doing 20% EICRs every year so that 100% is covered in the five year recommended retest period.

Firstly why it's done? God knows, is probably a bean counter thing or business interruption?

Secondly, how they manage it to ensure all circuits are covered and not just the easiest 20% every time is beyond me.

There are some very big FM companies doing this, very badly.

Last edited:
"to be honest if the customer wanted a blank certificate I'd be only too happy to oblige with a blank signed copy and charge according".

So fraudulent scum for £40 a pop !
Sorry please explain where the scam is? the customer is getting what they want i am not taking money under false pretence or falsifying anything..my customers know exactly what they are getting

Sorry please explain where the scam is? the customer is getting what they want i am not taking money under false pretence or falsifying anything..my customers know exactly what they are getting

You are undercutting proper electricians by not bothering paying into a scheme, and giving the customer a cheap, non notified job.

You are undercutting proper electricians by not bothering paying into a scheme, and giving the customer a cheap, non notified job.
Sorry again please explane where the scam is..doing a cheap job is not a crime and I'm not saying that the jobs are not notified i simply leave that to the customers and as such I have no need to belong to an overpriced scheme. This to me represents the most economical way to operate my work and all to The benefit of the person paying the bill.
[automerge]1595796045[/automerge]
So you don't do what you have been saying????
what I'm saying is that I've never been asked for a blank certificate to be honest for most of my customers it would be uneccassary as they could just as easily go to the wholesalers and purchase there own certificate pad.
[automerge]1595796186[/automerge]
You are a cowboy who shouldn't be doing work for the public.
No cowboy here just trying to make a living

Last edited:
I don't see why a customer would want a blank certificate. Unless you aren't giving them a completed one when you've done the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How many eicr in a day in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock