Discuss Interlock switch, not powering all of my breakers in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Jason W

DIY
Reaction score
I have hooked up a 30 amp interlock switch to my main panel run off my generator. However, only my light switches work none of my plug-ins have any power. Any input would be helpful. Thanks.

Honestly in this case I think that getting a qualified electrician in to survey what has been done so far and the best way to fix the problems is the best way forward.

There is a lot more to running a generator and using it to power a house than you might think, even if what you rig up "works" then it may still be dangerous.

Have a professional look at it PLEASE.

I have hooked up a 30 amp interlock switch to my main panel run off my generator. However, only my light switches work none of my plug-ins have any power. Any input would be helpful. Thanks.
It sounds like you are just getting 120vac instead of 240vac. Check your cord, and plug connections.

I know. But Megawatt said
“ It sounds like you are just getting 120vac instead of 240vac.”
Surely a Canadian (or. USA) genny would be expected to produce 120v. ??
Confirmed by the OP
Most installations are two-phase (split) 120V - 0V - 120V so it you do the simple and obvious you only get half the panel powered up. To run a typical USA house fully you need a generator has 120-0-120 out and a suitable transfer switch for both L and some means to deal with N.

They typically have PME supply with local Earth rods linked to the incoming point Earth/ground, and the N-E link inside the first (main) panel. That is unlike UK where linking N & E is only permitted on the DNO side before your meter, etc.

Presumably then you can switch the main panel incoming L1-N-L2 to the generator's output, with the rods still linked at the panel to earth-reference N while on generator. No idea if that meets NEC code!

Last edited:
My generator is a 30 amp 120 V
Well there's your problem. A 120 V generator outputs a hot and a neutral and a ground. Your electrical service and panel expect a 120/240 V output which is why the inlet breaker is a 2-pole 30 A variety. Your panel gets 2 120 volt lines from the utility, electrically 180 degrees apart to provide 1/2 of the breaker slots in your panel with 120 volts from line 1, and the other 1/2 of the slots with 120 volts from line 2. Your generator outputs 120 volts onto one leg in your panel only, the other 1/2 of the circuits are getting nothing. To power your home from a generator with an interlock you need a 120/250 volt generator unless you can live with only 1/2 the circuits in your panel.

Reply to Interlock switch, not powering all of my breakers in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net