Currently reading:
Kitchen electric questions re. Fitting a new single oven

Discuss Kitchen electric questions re. Fitting a new single oven in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

big_jim

I live in a flat that's part of a converted Victorian house. The landlord has agreed for me to get a new hob and oven, and take the money out of the rent. I've paid for a new gas hob and installation which takes place in a fortnight. Before that's done, I need to get a new single oven and get it fitted.

I took the old oven out, and saw that it just plugged into a wall socket. Next to it, there's another plug which gives the spark for the gas hob:

5efhqx.jpg

All the new ovens I've been looking at seem to need to be hardwired into the wall, so I just have a few questions about this.

1. Does it look like we have a separate kitchen ring circuit? Here's a photo of the consumer unit:

1z3ntxw.jpg

Plus there's this switch in the kitchen:

3507bfc.jpg

There are 5 double-plug sockets in the walls around the kitchen, and another 3 behind the fridge, washing machine and oven, so it does seem kitted out for a big load.

2. Do the oven models I'm looking at definitely need to be hardwired, I can't just put cabling on them and plug them in?
(I would likely still pay for this to be done by the guy who delivers them, as I don't think I'd feel comfortable doing this).

These are the models I'm thinking of:

DBD Distribution Ltd - DBD Contracts - Electrolux - EOB3400AOX
Buy John Lewis JLBIOS663 Single Electric Oven, Stainless Steel online at JohnLewis.com

3. Would it be a big/expensive job to get the plug socket changed over to whatever's needed for the oven to be wired straight into the wall? And is this more than the fitter from the oven supplier (John Lewis, say) will be able to do? So should I just buy the oven without paying for installation, then get the landlord to send an electrician over?

4. This is the gas hob I've bought. It has 'automatic ignition'. Will it also need to plug / be wired in somewhere to power this? So will it matter if the plug socket behind the oven has to be removed to wire in the oven?:

Buy Siemens EC615PB90E Gas Hob, Stainless Steel online at JohnLewis.com

I think that's everything. Thanks so much if you can help!

The John Lewis oven might come with a standard 13 amp plug attached as it's only 2.5Kw.
The DBD oven is rated at 16 amps, so will not come with a 13 amp plug. Also it would look like you cannot convert the existing steup to accomodate an oven that requires hard wiring.
The hob will require an electrical supply, it will probably come with a plug. If not a plug with 3 amp fuse will suffice.
Basically you will need to find an oven that is supplied with a plug. I've seen quite a few single ovens supplied with plugs, so happy hunting.

Edit: Just noticed 2 x 32 amp breakers in the fuse board. Have you got an electric shower?

From your set up on the fuse box it has 3 circuits!

Lights
Sockets

and 1 other which could be Kitchen ring/shower/cooker circuit who knows just from a switch..

as above about oven..!

as part of your order i would probably get a bottle of de-greaser for the kitchen as it looks like it could do with a wipe around..!

as sjm has suggested, buy an oven with a plug on it. otherwise you may need a new circuit installing with RCD protection. expensive.

and take no notice of durham sparky. he's just a grumpy sod.

thanks Tel....!! Normally its grumpy OLD sod......!

very appreciative you missed the OLD out of it......

p.s its just my natural cleaning streak coming through.... years in the navy turned my head in to a janitorial mush! clean this clean that, polish this, polish that......

If the oven is 3 kilowatt/13 amps or less then you should be ok to stick a plug on it. If it's more than this then it'll prolly want a new circuit from the fuse board which is gonna cost ya.

Thanks a lot for all your help! During the wait for my post to be approved, I wondered whether this forum would allow posts by clueless potential customers such as myself, in case virtual advice might jeopardize real-life work that would otherwise go to local electricians.

Knowing that there are other things that need doing, I phoned a local electrician who is going to come round first thing tomorrow morning to give me a quote. There's a plug socket with broken plastic frame, a burnt-out plug socket, a water-damaged/disabled light-fitting in one bedroom, a burnt-out light fitting in the hallway outside the flat, and a broken light-fitting in a cupboard. I will ask him about the oven while he is here!

DurhamSparky you're right, some kitchen cleaning would help! I moved the microwave for the first time ever to find that socket and the tiles were pretty gross.

There isn't an electric shower. But there is an electric extractor fan in the windowless bathroom. There is also another switch (A "fused spur"?) outside the bathroom door.

So, what's the 'fused spur' in the kitchen likely to be for, if it's nothing to do with the oven? Does it look like either the bathroom or the kitchen have got their own circuits?

Last edited by a moderator:
fused spur in kitchen might be for cooker hood. the one by the bathroom could be for the fan. try switching them off and see what stops working.

sjm..... The DBD oven is rated at 16 amps, so will not come with a 13 amp plug. Also it would look like you cannot convert the existing steup to accomodate an oven that requires hard wiring

As i've stated so many times before, don't take oven power requirements as stated by the manufactures as ''Set in Stone''!! It is highly unlikely that this oven will see anything like 16A, let alone 13A, if it's stating ''connected load'' is 2750W. The clue lies in that word ''Connected'', it's not stating Max usable load!! I wouldn't mind betting that this oven will also come with a moulded 13A plug top as well... lol!!

They will also be quoting the requirement of the country of origin, that has been directly translated into English. (16A is the standard size plug top rating in the vast majority of European countries and also the States) The better instructions will have a paragraph, basically telling you to check and install your oven according to your countries (or local codes) electrical code/regulations.

Reply to Kitchen electric questions re. Fitting a new single oven in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock