Currently reading:
Kitchen upgrade costing?

Discuss Kitchen upgrade costing? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Snapester

Hi guys, just priced a job and i think i may have priced to much?
Basically it is reconfiguring the original ring and adding extra points, points on view and cooker switch to be MK Brushed chrome about 3-4 sockets on view. Rest in white goods under counter etc. Cooker wire already in place and using existing. Having to add RCD enclosure to protect sockets as original board has no RCD and not one available. Circuits to be sheathed and buried.
There are also 7 spots to install and also need to add gas bonding and water as non there currently.
Then test and certify.

Estimated 2 days work and materials £927

Cheers in advance.

at a glance, it looks about £200 too high, but that's without seeing the job and assuming it's 2 days for 1 spark.

Providing all materials 7x 12v Downlighters Mk Brushed chrome switches and cooker switches and lighting switches.
Work is ripping apart original circuit and rerouting and adding about 5 sockets and moving older points. All work to be sheathed up and flush.
Spark and a mate.
Cheers

And then there is always that return visit because the kitchen fitter was not as far finished as he thought he would be or one unit did not arrive or was damaged

i once had to drive 25 miles because an under cabinet light stopped working(which the kitchen suppliers supplied) after the kitchen fitter took the cabinet off the wall after i had gone. Turned out to be the lamp had shaken out of the holder. All for free!

Last edited by a moderator:
And then there is always that return visit because the kitchen fitter was not as far finished as he thought he would be or one unit did not arrive or was damaged

i once had to drive 25 miles because an under cabinet light stopped working(which the kitchen suppliers supplied) after the kitchen fitter took the cabinet off the wall after i had gone. Turned out to be the lamp had shaken out of the holder. All for free!

I think that if you get called out due to a fault which has nothing to do with your workmanship, then a call-out fee is in order. Make it clear at the start tho.

Having to add RCD enclosure to protect sockets as original board has no RCD and not one available.

It always amazes me, homeowners prepared to throw literary thousands upon thousands at new kitchens, but are more than happy to leave an old CU with old OCPD protecting the whole house!! How much would it be, to change that CU to the latest best specification. When all said and done, the electrical installation (especially the CU) will still be there and working, way after this new kitchen has long been forgotten!! lol!!

It always amazes me, homeowners prepared to throw literary thousands upon thousands at new kitchens, but are more than happy to leave an old CU with old OCPD protecting the whole house!! How much would it be, to change that CU to the latest best specification. When all said and done, the electrical installation (especially the CU) will still be there and working, way after this new kitchen has long been forgotten!! lol!!

It's not that old it has new mcb's but no front end rcd, rcbo is available but at £50 not worth it when enclosure is £25? Also could it be possible to add an enclosure with an 30mA to protect the whole
Installation, so in essence rcd as main switch?

Yeah thought as much can't remember where about in the regs it is but i knew it was there!!
Great stuff! I chose 12v downlights as i was going for more energy efficient but when i come to think of it what are the benefits of using 12v as opposed to 240v ?? or vice versa?

Yeah thought as much can't remember where about in the regs it is but i knew it was there!!
Great stuff! I chose 12v downlights as i was going for more energy efficient but when i come to think of it what are the benefits of using 12v as opposed to 240v ?? or vice versa?

What makes you think 12v lights are more energy efficient?

12v with the transformers use more power!,my local wholesalers were doing led fittings for £40 each,so maybe £200 more expensive on outlay,but the benefits in the future of not needing to keep replacing halogen lamps and transformers when they give up will have paid for itself within 10 years if not earlier,not to mention the kwh saving over the years.although as already mentioned people would rather spend ££££s on kitchen units then bother too much with the electrics.

Reply to Kitchen upgrade costing? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back