Search the forum,

Discuss Leaving Rings behind going Radials ???? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Just pondering as a lecturer mentioned to me ideally that industry would like to phase Rings out and go down just the radial route in domestic environment

How do you guys feel? any of you already really trying to go down this rd..? say the kitchen for appliances on separate 16amp supplies. or anywhere else come to mention it.

Obviously in these times in could be more costly but is it better in the long run????
IMO much better but maybe unrealistic for many jobs.

I fit radials whenever possible. I generally only use rings in kitchens and utility rooms, and this is because i prefer to terminate 2 2.5's into sockets instead of 2 4mm's. IMO radials are safer and easier to fault find on as well.

Cheers.........Howard

I'm doing a renovation at the moment and I'm wiring all the bedrooms on seperate radials, I will split the ground floor in to two or three radials. And I'll probably use a ring in the kitchen with radials for certain appliances.

I do radials in 2.5 to attics or joined garages, and in 4mm to kitchens sometimes, all if it's more convenient to do so. Personally I love ring circuits

Just put 2 radials in the house ive rewired 8 sockets on each 2.5mm cable 20 amp MCB Zs reading 0.86 , it was either that or try and drill through a 4 meter thick stone wall ring in lounge and kitchen do like radials i have to say just need some bigger boards

Interesting to hear your views ! i just done Kitchen dining knock through. done each fixed appliance on radial (5 app's), sep cooker supply and a ring for the above work surface sockets . For some reason even though more cable it felt a whole lot easier. might of been a placebo effect though

Really though it has cost fair bit more...can see it good for future proofing. The main reason i heard the leaning towards was pure the safety aspect
to many DIYer's breaking rings making birds nests.

Just put 2 radials in the house ive rewired 8 sockets on each 2.5mm cable 20 amp MCB Zs reading 0.86 , it was either that or try and drill through a 4 meter thick stone wall ring in lounge and kitchen do like radials i have to say just need some bigger boards

What are you trying to say......got no balls 4 meters thick:rolleyes:, in Yorkshire we scratch our way through thicker:cool: I thought all the Welsh were hard:confused:

Cheers.........Howard

What are you trying to say......got no balls 4 meters thick:rolleyes:, in Yorkshire we scratch our way through thicker:cool: I thought all the Welsh were hard:confused:

Cheers.........Howard

well the welsh are quite tough no as tough as the rock mind ,burnt out 2 25mm 1meter drill bits and 2 300 mm 25mm drill bits , took for ever and got home with swolen hands and the teeth were vibrating think my head was squashed due to the ear protection or was it i was doing an impression of micky mouse with them i cant remeber lol

Its not if the do away with rings its when because its the only thing left to get us in line with Europe is the ring main remember it was brought out to save on the size of DBs so house have now went from a 2 way (1 light 1 power) to 4 way then 6-8 now 10-12

I think rings are used when not necessary..... like bedrooms etc.

But they will always have a place.

How can they remove / outlaw them ? There are many things you can do that are not specifically mentioned in the regs :)

The problem is if there is a fault on a ring it is near on impossible To tell without investigation and they only usually turn up on a PIR. With a radial if there us a fault it's always noticable because of the farther sockets not working. Meaning they are much safer. Radials are the way forward

The problem is if there is a fault on a ring it is near on impossible To tell without investigation and they only usually turn up on a PIR. With a radial if there us a fault it's always noticable because of the farther sockets not working. Meaning they are much safer. Radials are the way forward

Yeah this is the point we discussed with Lecture. Prob is people in general and building contractors just dont seem to grasp these developments. ive had it up to my eyes with people who when i try to install with such designs i get hassle. the " oh why dont you just throw a ring in. I could do that in half the time you taken and its much cheaper". this mentality.. Actually im gonna start a thread on this......moan.

There is a place for Ring circuits and a place for radial circuits, they can both serve it's purpose in a well thought out installation design. This old chestnut of doing away with ring circuits crops up all the time, more so these days, probably with the introduction of these new Domestic installers.... The advantages of rings over an all radial installation far outweigh the radial approach, in both time and costs of an overall installation. Our domestic house layouts, in most cases, do not or cannot accommodate much larger CUs, and i'm pretty sure most home owners wouldn't want them either.

Now to say a radial power circuit is safer than a ring circuit beggars belief!! Since when has radial circuits been a new development?? I've heard all the arguments of doing away with rings, and frankly there not worth the paper there written on. ...Harmonisation with Europe, .... No thanks let them stick to there own circuit designs, and we'll stick with ours, besides it's about time they started to adopt some of our methods, instead of us always seeming to bow to there's!! ...lol!!!!

Now to say a radial power circuit is safer than a ring circuit beggars belief!!

Can't agree. Ring circuits are always prone to the DIY'er or pillock who will div up a ring leaving multiple crossovers or one leg with half the sockets on. Radials are safer in that most faults become apparent very readily.

Re: Harmonisation..I can agree with that!!! Is it just me or does the change to black/brown/grey just make it easier to connect something wrong? Why change from bright obvious colours to something that all looks the same in the gloom of a cupbard or loft?

Harmonisation you can keep it I hear you say but the reality is that it will not be Europe that pushes to get rid of the ring it will be bureaucrats in this country will change it by stealth and they will try convince us we have to do it or in other words just when we all get comfortable with the changes they will jump in why ? because that is the nature of their job they need to survive plus they need to be in control put them together and we will get this change for the sake of change only problem is that Cameron is saying that we have too much regulation but me thinks this will fall on deaf ears and this will lead to people ignoring the rules.

If anyone remembers the Yes Minisiter episode where the head civil servant says we must fight to save the British Banger from Europe the Minister replies but their not going to do that yes says the civil servant but the people dont know that and we need to make them think they are being threatened so that when Europe does try to ban it they will accept it as progress

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Leaving Rings behind going Radials ???? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock