Currently reading:
Meter move tns head now tncs. Is it pme.

Discuss Meter move tns head now tncs. Is it pme. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

andyelectric

The 3 phase service cut out for my block of 3 flats was recently moved.

The service head used to be tns. The new service head is tncs. This has not been marked up as pme.

My flat has a new 16mm earthing conductor(connection between old MET and new MET) , however the other 2 flats only have their existing 6mm feeds as part of 16mm twin and earth supplies.

Is the 6mm ok(assuming correct by adiabatic and I would be confident of this) or will pme rules apply and require 10mm.

I ask as although I know it was formerly tns, will someone else see tncs and immediately think pme and 10mm.

Please excuse my inexperience, I require no comment on it.

Yes, it is correct that I don't know.

The old head was tns on a paper/lead cable. The 6mm earthing conductors to flats 2/3 were ok.

The only change is the new head and approximately 3m of new supply cable.

I can't get my head around that 3 metres of cable making 6mm dangerous and upping the requirement to 10mm.

Yes, it is correct that I don't know.

The old head was tns on a paper/lead cable. The 6mm earthing conductors to flats 2/3 were ok.

The only change is the new head and approximately 3m of new supply cable.

I can't get my head around that 3 metres of cable making 6mm dangerous and upping the requirement to 10mm.

3 metres of extra cable does not make 6mm dangerous!

But if they have made a N-E connection and converted to TNCS then you may need bigger bonding conductors.

we cant go any further till you know whether its tns or tncs im afraid.

and to be honest , if you own the building , and feel certain that the earthing in place is doing the job adequately , then i wouldnt do anything

Ask the DNO what it is first

Would I actually get a correct answer. They were pretty crap during the whole meter move and I dont have much faith. (SEPD the new distribution arm of SSE)

The cable cut was an old lead sheathed tns supply and when he cut back the cable for jointing it was clear there were three phase cables and the sheath was the earth. The new cable spliced on had a combined neutral/earth.

My feeling is... Although the new head is tncs, the supply is probably not pme but simply the new cable/heads they are using are always tncs. Sorry for sounding woolly.

Would I actually get a correct answer. They were pretty crap during the whole meter move and I dont have much faith. (SEPD the new distribution arm of SSE)

The cable cut was an old lead sheathed tns supply and when he cut back the cable for jointing it was clear there were three phase cables and the sheath was the earth. The new cable spliced on had a combined neutral/earth.

My feeling is... Although the new head is tncs, the supply is probably not pme but simply the new cable/heads they are using are always tncs. Sorry for sounding woolly.

If the new cable is CNE then they must have converted to TNCS.

Only if they used SNE cable could it still be TNS.

Surely this is obvious?

So you need to assess the bonding requirements with respect to the change to TNCS from TNS and decide what is needed.

I have always found SSE to be the most helpful of the various DNOs I have dealt with

If the new cable is CNE then they must have converted to TNCS.

Only if they used SNE cable could it still be TNS.

Surely this is obvious?

So you need to assess the bonding requirements with respect to the change to TNCS from TNS and decide what is needed.

I have always found SSE to be the most helpful of the various DNOs I have dealt with

The only change though is the extrs cable and head. 6mm was previously a compliant earth as it was assumed by the service head as a tns system. How can this suddenly become more dangerous.??

I may not be clear as couple of beers so bear with me.

But you said the flats have 6mm earths feeding them? So surely the bonding in each flat cannot be more than 6mm?

Sorry, the bonding in my flat(cellar being where old METwas) has been uprated to 10mm. All gas/water to the three flats runs through the cellar. I am unsure if any bonding work has been carried out within the othet flats.

Reply to Meter move tns head now tncs. Is it pme. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock