Discuss N/E fault RCD not tripping ?? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

On both tests at 250v and 500v. I tested live to earth at 250volt seen that it was very low near enough zero, now this has been connected to a RCD and MCB for years this circuit. So I then joined live and neutrals together at consumer unit then tested live to earth IR test at nearest socket comes up >999mega ohms. So I am thinking I’m testing through the USB points when carrying out live to earth only with neutrals still connected to N bar ?? That make sense
Testing at 250v is only beneficial when there is a fault so that you don’t need to subject circuit to 500v however you need to carry out insulation resistance test at 500v to record accurate fault reading and true scale of insulation. I’m trying to test you here ?

Testing at 250v is only beneficial when there is a fault so that you don’t need to subject circuit to 500v however you need to carry out insulation resistance test at 500v to record accurate fault reading and true scale of insulation. I’m trying to test you here ?
I’m here to learn just like yourself and Aslong as it’s done appropriately then there is no harm. Best way is to ensure everything is unplugged from sockets

Yeah appreciate the response, but it has just got me thinking why it will show up dead short L- E but then join neutral and live together, IR test at nearest socket and comes up clear ?

If it’s dead short L-E should be a banger? Is it old consumer?
These are the jobs I hate, because you have to explain to customer that it’s not right even though it appears fine and well. Don’t leave it there find the fault and charge accordingly you’re the last sparky there so when you close that door it’s your neck on the block

No it’s 6 months old, that’s why I am thinking I’m testing through the USB ports only thing I can think of as if it was a dead short then it would show up on L- N together and test to earth as well but it’s clear ?

No it’s 6 months old, that’s why I am thinking I’m testing through the USB ports only thing I can think of as if it was a dead short then it would show up on L- N together and test to earth as well but it’s clear ?
Well disconnect the usb sockets put the cables in connector blocks then test. Make sure you are disconnecting the circuit in question out of bar/mcb to ensure it’s definitive. I’m a bit confused here sorry it’s late and been working 14 hours again ?‍♂️ You’ve been called back after 6 months and it’s tripping?

Well disconnect the usb sockets put the cables in connector blocks then test. Make sure you are disconnecting the circuit in question out of bar/mcb to ensure it’s definitive. I’m a bit confused here sorry it’s late and been working 14 hours again ?‍♂️ You’ve been called back after 6 months and it’s tripping?
The USB ports will 100% interfere with you’re readings and give false readings disconnect them. So the fault is on the sockets? Unplug everything and then carry out insulation resistance. Once established that the fault is on the ring main. Most likely pain in the arse is N-E fault split the legs at consumer go to half way point of ring (take an educated guess) then you will know which side the fault is on)

Sorry no the consumer unit is 6months old, this was a extension that got done and they require test cert. yeah think best to disconnect but then test kind of pain in the arse tbh is it disconnecting circuits ?

Sorry no the consumer unit is 6months old, this was a extension that got done and they require test cert. yeah think best to disconnect but then test kind of pain in the arse tbh is it disconnecting circuits ?
Ah I wish I was local to you now I would help you out. Are you at the property now?

But I have IR test with line and neutral connected and down to earth all clear only coming dead short when I do live to earth, which if it was damaged cable then it would show up on line/neutral together to earth ??

But I have IR test with line and neutral connected and down to earth all clear only coming dead short when I do live to earth, which if it was damaged cable then it would show up on line/neutral together to earth ??
Right forget about joining them, do them individually I’m certain your lays between N-E put your 2 legs into a connector block for earth and then the other 2 legs for neutral in a connector block. Test them with your probes. You will probs get a big fat 0. Are you still at the property if you are I will talk you through it

Right forget about joining them, do them individually I’m certain your lays between N-E put your 2 legs into a connector block for earth and then the other 2 legs for neutral in a connector block. Test them with your probes. You will probs get a big fat 0. Are you still at the property if you are I will talk you through it
Fault finding is
Sorry not there anymore, left 4 hours ago ?
Ah gutting hopefully they got power?

Reply to N/E fault RCD not tripping ?? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock