Discuss Need a portable RCBO to trip faster than general in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Wrong. I tested the main RCD - it works🙂

Wow, you have the ability to measure the resistance and size of cables at distance? 😆

Well, if a little knowledge is dangerous thing, I will not share my solution (to keep the people in safety). They should use what they find on the market and what the certified electricians are saying and never try testing like me, because it's dangerous 🙂
For me it works (without breaking any safety rules) and I'm happy 👍

Great stuff, glad all worked out OK. Engineering excellence.

So what were the figures for the main RCD that you claim to have tested?
It has a test button. The RCD works normally. No melted/welded contacts

• Optimistic
Reactions: DPG
It has a test button. The RCD works normally. No melted/welded contacts
It seems that your laboratory where you do all the experiments and testing for people's safety seems to consist of a piece of wire and your finger.

It seems that your laboratory where you do all the experiments and testing for people's safety seems to consist of a piece of wire and your finger.
You are thinking wrong, or it's just a sarcasm and banter.
Don't worry about my safety. This security device I will use for months, only me. Nobody will be hurted, I promise 😆

Please don't transform this thread into a security lesson. I appreciate that electricians remember to me about the dangers of electricity, but not so often, please

Can you see it from our perspective?

An RCD is a safety device. By altering it, and you haven’t described how it’s been altered… you may have changed its properties….

Without testing with a designated RCD tester, you cannot be certain it will function within its designed limits.

The portable strip must trip at 10mA and must trip within 40ms. The rcd tester can measure these minuscule amounts. The ramp test function can also give you the actual threshold in mA it trips at as well as the time in ms.

As professionals we cannot say that what you are doing is correct.
Other members of the public might copy your approach and not be so lucky.

Just to reiterate again. Touching live to earth deliberately is not a safe method of testing RCDs.

Yes, I can perfectly see it from your perpective and I thanks all for information.
I mentioned before that I take precautions and I assume the risk. No one is invited to repeat what I'm doing.
Now, what if I will say, my tests are performed on a special stand on a lab and not in a real home? What if the tested RDC will not be used anymore after tests (even if they are still doing their job) ? It will calm down the spirits, I think.
All are saying - it will burn, it will be knackered, you will be electrocuted etc, but no one is trying to calculate how many time is needed to heat a 30m 14awg wire until it starts smocking. I know there is many variables in the formula. My calculations based on what I have in the lab shows that melting a 14awg wire will take several seconds, but the RCD triggers within 40ms.
The thermal camera is showing that there is no temperature rise in the tested wires. The RCD is disconnecting so fast that there is no time to rise from 20C to copper incandescence temperature. The manufacturers designed their devices to protect the circuit in such situations. If the manufacturers will think like you and use only safe tests, then in real life their device will kill somebody because in real life there is imprevisible situations, non safe situations. That's why is important to think about it. Nobody knows when your RCD will be faulty. If you doubt about your RCD - you just buy a new one and remplace it, right ?

• Funny
Reactions: DPG
I'll give you one thing, Energizer......your english is very good. Spelling a bit 'iffy' and the odd unintelligible word, like 'imprevisible' (should be 'unpredictable') but overall well on song.
Good effort, Well done.

Sorry for my English. I work on it improvement :)

Spellcheck didn’t understand “diarreah” on my recent “good morning” thread post…..

No… not what you’re thinking!

Reply to Need a portable RCBO to trip faster than general in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net