Currently reading:
RCD tripping on circuits after new board change nitemare

Discuss RCD tripping on circuits after new board change nitemare in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

reeves

-
Reaction score
just done a board change on a domestic property and i have got faults on 2 32 socket circuits nitemare is there any quick way other than obvious of starting from the first socket then all around the ring, can i measure the fault out with my megger please helppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp

Come on, throw the dog a bone!! We need more info.

What test results did you get on the circuits?
Have you checked you have connected the neutrals up to the correct bars?
Have you checked for cross connection between circuits?
Have you tested the RCD?

What type of "faults" have you got?
How many CU changes have you done before?
Have you tried asking your scheme's technical support?

The R1 n R2 are pretty average neutrals are on the correct bars r1 r2 rn all match to there corresponding circuit yeh n then rcd trip out i must say i didnt test insulation 250 or 500

reading this, it looks like the IR tester's gota be dug out the bottom of the van.... 2 rings down,, either two seprate faults or the rings have got mixed up.. pretty unlucky ... you gota start with the basics, witch would be as soon as the trip went dig out the tester,, should take a sparks less than an hour to narrow it down to at least an area, and get some power on at worst on radials...

ok too be more helpfull,,, disconect the neutrals,, leave the earths conected, they give a good refrance point.switch the mcbs off to the faulty circuits. IR test between N-E and L-E if yoo see a reading less than hmmm lets say 5 Mohm then yoo need to start splitting the ring... you really should be looking at greater than 999M ohm or at worst on a normal T and E instalaton at least greater than 100... if you do get greater than 999 then theres a crossed neutral or somthing... but start with one ring and split it. test both legs the one thats good reconect.. see whats working.. mega bad leg. split again.. and keep going..and breath...

Last edited by a moderator:
My reluctant suggestion would have been to check the rings aren't crossed, however ive got a good reckoning that you havnt split the circuits properly on the new dual RCD board, otherwise this easy to rule out method would have been acheived straight away

As you say Vernam,

My first move would have been to make sure the circuit was split properly (ring continuity).
Then do as Edd suggested, but first test across the now disconnected Neutrals to the other sides Neutrals @250V (to rule out any interconnections), before following on with the rest of edds recommendation but again @ 250V first, for the reasons I have already given.

But then again I would have tested for this even before, or at least during the CU change.

I think mixed up the two rings might be a good call so try end to ends first as u should have done already but if not that might be the culprit....as its unlikely to be both rings that have faults on but not impossible, especially if u have put one ring on one side and one on another and both rcds trip, u may have them mixed up as I say

I think some more info is required as to what dead tests were performed.

If you say the neutrals are on the correct bars is that because you carried out the 3 step dead tests on the ring finals.

If they are correct and everything is disconnected and both RCD 's are tripping its down to IR testing.

With a 30 mA RCD it should hold above 7666 ohms so once you start IR testing if you get a 0.00 M ohms reading its time to switch over to low ohms and start to work out where the fault /faults are by spliting the ring etc as has already been mentioned!

Is there any quick test with your Megger???

If you get a low ohms reading when testing as a guide to get nearer the fault you can use a bit of maths to give you a rough distance to the fault as you will know the resistance of the cables you are testing.

Once you have completed the dead IR tests let us know the readings !!

Always a good idea to carry out a few pre tests prior to carrying out a CU change in my opinion,Can save a whole lot of hassle at the end of the change.

Yep!! At the very least it will tell you if any problems are found, it's not from any mistakes that you have made at the CU on completion... I mean how long will it take to carry out a few brief tests prior to changing the CU anyway??

Never understood why after a cu change people start having problems due to existing faults, if you aren't prepared to address them then should you really be changing the board in the first place?

Reply to RCD tripping on circuits after new board change nitemare in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back