Search the forum,

Discuss Really baffled. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sectionq

Hi everyone,

I hope someone can shed some light on this. I tripped the lights in 1 half of the flat today when installing a ceiling light. When I'd put it back to how it was before I flicked the main power switch back on but no power. A little later my wife tried to use the oven (which is on a different trip switch), the oven doesn't work now, 3 (I think?) rings on the hob work, while the other one doesn't work but when you switch it on all of the power comes back on in the flat. When you turn it off so does all the power in the flat. Any ideas? I hope that makes sense...

When you call the electrician in and he asks if you've had any work done or done any work, it would be a good idea to tell him (or her) about the ceiling light you've just installed, and not just turn your mouth up and shake your head. The reason they ask is so they know where to look for clues, not so they can tell you off. They'll find out that the electrics have been altered, but if you tell them straight away they might be able to find and rectify the fault £50 quicker.

Haha, yes of course, as soon as anyone calls us back but it seems they like their weekends too much here. Anyway, just curious, I wonder how it's possible that tripping the power in one part of the flat could effect something else which I thought shouldn't be linked, especially like this in such an odd fashion.

Do you mean that you isolated the circuit you were working on via the circuit breaker and when you went to switch on the circuit you found this fault had developed?

I think so, I basically disconnected it and left it how it was before I started trying to install it (just dangling wires capped off as it's a brand new flat). Then I flicked the main switch back on and that is when the fault appeared.

If it is a brand new flat should it not meet the Swiss electrical standards? I assume that they would require installation certificates for the owner of the building? Perhaps the work is still under guarantee assuming you have not done anything to damage it. It would require testing to properly ascertain the cause of the fault.

No, you're right. There shouldn't be any problems with that, all I've done is installed a few lights around the place as these places just come with dangling wires, although I will at least check them all. Definitely something not right with the main box though, the self test doesn't shut off on that particular switch, although I can't be sure if it was like that before or after today.

if no power at all on any circuit could be
1 you have blown main fuse
2 rcd failure
3 rcd needs reseting
in any case i recomend ringing your local sparky to check what you have done.
we don't usually charge that much honestly:whatchutalkingabout

"3 (I think?) rings on the hob work, while the other one doesn't work but when you switch it on all of the power comes back on in the flat. When you turn it off so does all the power in the flat."

This is a joke, surely? Or is it a ring problem ...

Reply to Really baffled. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock