Currently reading:
Really struggling with RJ45 connectors.

Discuss Really struggling with RJ45 connectors. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
I have fitted RJ45 connectors to either side of a piece of cat5 cable but when I test it on the laptop I get no ethernet connection. I also have a pre-made ethernet cable which works fine so I know it's my home made ethernet cable. I cut the cat5 to 12.5mm and connect both ends the same (i.e s68A)

I have practised this a few times now each with the same result, i.e. it doesn't work.

With a piece of twin and earth I could test for continuity at both ends but how do I test for continuity through an RJ45 connector?

The problems that I can see it as being are the following but I dont know which is the most likely or if there are other problems I missing?

1. Poor quality connectors, not actually making contact in the laptop or router.
2. cat 5 not actually terminated inside RJ45 connector
3. RJ45 Crimping tool not effective which leads to 2 above.

Cheers all.

RJ45.jpg RJ45..jpg RJ45 crimping tool.jpg

Last edited:
Can you explain?

Back in the day, when switches and hubs weren't cheap, you could connect two PCs together using a crossover cable. If memory serves, you'd use the T568A standard on one end and T568B on the other so the cores in the connectors went something like this...

Code:
orange/white -> green/white
orange       -> green
green/white  -> orange/white
blue         -> blue
blue/white   -> blue/white
green        -> orange
brown/white  -> brown/white
brown        -> brown

These days you'd need to factor in the blue/brown pairs as well I think as for higher speeds I think they form a data path and you'd need to be careful with POE devices

Back in the day, when switches and hubs weren't cheap, you could connect two PCs together using a crossover cable. If memory serves, you'd use the T568A standard on one end and T568B on the other so the cores in the connectors went something like this...

Code:
orange/white -> green/white
orange       -> green
green/white  -> orange/white
blue         -> blue
blue/white   -> blue/white
green        -> orange
brown/white  -> brown/white
brown        -> brown
Crossover cables are still used today in some peer to peer applications although auto negotiation has somewhat reduced their use these days
These days you'd need to factor in the blue/brown pairs as well I think as for higher speeds I think they form a data path and you'd need to be careful with POE devices
This is the big minefield these days mixing POE and data does not normally end well

Oh... before I forget... don't bother making up patch cables if you need 'em. Just buy them in... it's cheaper, easier and looks better.
Some large patch frames I have worked on you had to make patch cables of the correct length and colour if you didn't want the head of I.T. to descend on you. On one site they had a patch cable trolley with all the different coloured cables and termination kit so you had no excuse

Reply to Really struggling with RJ45 connectors. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back