Discuss Searching history of 2nd hand component? in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

What if I buy them then find out that the person Who sold them to me stole them? It just doesn’t make sense to me that it should be difficult to find that out.

How would you expect the manufacturer to know what has happened to these components after they have been sold?

Do you contact the manufacturer of every component you buy to inform them of the serial numbers of every item?

One of these items would be approximately £7000 new, I have an opportunity to buy it for £600. Yes, the item is 6 years old and discontinued, but still being sold online from other companies for over £3000.

This is the sort of price difference I am talking about, and hence, why I am taking a cautious approach.

I don’t have a reason to believe it, but am concerned that the items could have been obtained in a ‘dodgy’ manner, but should I really question this? If I am getting the part cheap that I need, along with other spares they would like to sell as a lot, then should I just go for it?

Suppose I don’t use all of the other items and decide to sell some on myself, that’s where I feel there may be a risk?

Right now I am leaning towards buying them.

I don't see anything unusual about the pricing as it's dead stock. Asking £3000 on eBay is a very different proposition to getting £3000. One could sell at that price today or it could take 10 years to find someone prepared to pay more than a couple of hundred.

Buying and selling this sort of stuff is about averages as original prices are meaningless when demand is limited.

I don't see anything unusual about the pricing as it's dead stock. Asking £3000 on eBay is a very different proposition to getting £3000. One could sell at that price today or it could take 10 years to find someone prepared to pay more than a couple of hundred.

Buying and selling this sort of stuff is about averages as original prices are meaningless when demand is limited.

I do see where you’re coming from, maybe I am overthinking all of this.

Like someone said before, if I was to sell any of this on at a later date, would places really go to the extent of trying to find out where they’ve been previously, I doubt it.

Do you think it is worth me contacting Siemens to see if they can provide me any information on where it was originally bought/sold to put my mind at ease?

Reply to Searching history of 2nd hand component? in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net