Discuss Searching history of 2nd hand component? in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience of buying surplus/second hand components?

I have found some unused Siemens components, namely Motor Modules, Inputs/Output modules, CPU, Screen.

They are obviously low in price, and they appear to be genuine having scanned the QR codes on the Siemens App.

My question is, is there a way in which I can search into the history/previous ownership of these components? Using the serial numbers for example? I’m unsure if it is possible, but would like to find out if they have been sold on previously, and who the original purchaser was.

Thank you in advance for any information.

I'd say the chances of finding any previous owner apart from the one you are buying it from are zero.

Seimens will know from the serial numbers which wholesaler they first sold the items to, but I doubt they will pass that information to anyone else even if the original buyer gave consent.

If the items are new, unused they were probably bought as spares and are no longer required and were sold off.

I'd say the chances of finding any previous owner apart from the one you are buying it from are zero.

Seimens will know from the serial numbers which wholesaler they first sold the items to, but I doubt they will pass that information to anyone else even if the original buyer gave consent.

If the items are new, unused they were probably bought as spares and are no longer required and were sold off.
Thank you, do you think I’m perhaps overthinking it?

I just would have thought that Siemens have a duty of care to inform. Surely they want to stop items being stolen and replicated?

Thank you, do you think I’m perhaps overthinking it?

I just would have thought that Siemens have a duty of care to inform. Surely they want to stop items being stolen and replicated?

Siemens have no duty of care to people who buy old stock or 2nd hand parts. There are plenty of bargains to be had, but it's a case of buyer beware. Anyone wanting Siemens to stand over their products will have to buy them new and most likely through authorised distributors.

What if I buy them then find out that the person Who sold them to me stole them? It just doesn’t make sense to me that it should be difficult to find that out.

Report your findings to the police.

It would appear as though you intend reselling these items and wish to absolve yourself of any liability with regards to their provenance, but trading in used goods isn't quite so simple. If you buy items from unknown sources and pay cash, then it's your backside on the line when someone spots their goods for sale. To avoid this it would be advisible to buy only from sources prepared to provide an invoice and accept traceable methods of payment. No manufacturer is going to even consider providing the information you want, especially when it would be used to compete with their own sales.

I know someone who had the police knock on their door when an item they were selling on ebay was spotted by it's original owner, from whom it had been stolen. The situation was easily enough resolved as he had an invoice from a local auction house who, ironically, had sold it on behalf of the police.

What if I buy them then find out that the person Who sold them to me stole them? It just doesn’t make sense to me that it should be difficult to find that out.
If you are that concerned, buy from a recognised dealer and take advantage of there support network.
If you buy from an unlicensed source or second hand, you may save money but you will not have access to as much product support or warranty.

Make your choice and accept the consequences.

Report your findings to the police.

It would appear as though you intend reselling these items and wish to absolve yourself of any liability with regards to their provenance, but trading in used goods isn't quite so simple. If you buy items from unknown sources and pay cash, then it's your backside on the line when someone spots their goods for sale. To avoid this it would be advisible to buy only from sources prepared to provide an invoice and accept traceable methods of payment. No manufacturer is going to even consider providing the information you want, especially when it would be used to compete with their own sales.

I know someone who had the police knock on their door when an item they were selling on ebay was spotted by it's original owner, from whom it had been stolen. The situation was easily enough resolved as he had an invoice from a local auction house who, ironically, had sold it on behalf of the police.
Thank you. I understand what you are saying.

The intention is not to immediately sell the parts on, but there is more than I need being sold together hence possibly reselling some items.

When parting with £1000’s for second hand equipment I want to ensure my concerns are addressed before going ahead.

Thank you. I understand what you are saying.

The intention is not to immediately sell the parts on, but there is more than I need being sold together hence possibly reselling some items.

When parting with £1000’s for second hand equipment I want to ensure my concerns are addressed before going ahead.

If someone has a considerable amount of stock it's unlikely to have been stolen, but equally they're likely to be a legitimate business who will furnish you with some sort of receipt (probably not itemised) and also accept payment by card or bank transfer.

It is unusual for someone to keep such goods in their semi-detached, private residence, although this could happen with them legitimately owning the goods. If they are used goods it wouldn't be unusual for someone to hold on to them after decomissioning and if they are new I'd expect shelf soiled boxes from 'new, old stock' products that had never sold.

I've bought many job lots over the years, ranging from several hundred to tens of thousands of pounds. I've never encountered any legal issues, but I tended to avoid goods from dubious sources. Perhaps I have an ability to sniff out potential trouble or perhaps I just have a good sense of self preservation and an inate desire to avoid hefty fines or jail cells.

How would you expect the manufacturer to know what has happened to these components after they have been sold?

Do you contact the manufacturer of every component you buy to inform them of the serial numbers of every item?

One of these items would be approximately £7000 new, I have an opportunity to buy it for £600. Yes, the item is 6 years old and discontinued, but still being sold online from other companies for over £3000.

This is the sort of price difference I am talking about, and hence, why I am taking a cautious approach.

I don’t have a reason to believe it, but am concerned that the items could have been obtained in a ‘dodgy’ manner, but should I really question this? If I am getting the part cheap that I need, along with other spares they would like to sell as a lot, then should I just go for it?

Suppose I don’t use all of the other items and decide to sell some on myself, that’s where I feel there may be a risk?

Right now I am leaning towards buying them.

I don't see anything unusual about the pricing as it's dead stock. Asking £3000 on eBay is a very different proposition to getting £3000. One could sell at that price today or it could take 10 years to find someone prepared to pay more than a couple of hundred.

Buying and selling this sort of stuff is about averages as original prices are meaningless when demand is limited.

I don't see anything unusual about the pricing as it's dead stock. Asking £3000 on eBay is a very different proposition to getting £3000. One could sell at that price today or it could take 10 years to find someone prepared to pay more than a couple of hundred.

Buying and selling this sort of stuff is about averages as original prices are meaningless when demand is limited.

I do see where you’re coming from, maybe I am overthinking all of this.

Like someone said before, if I was to sell any of this on at a later date, would places really go to the extent of trying to find out where they’ve been previously, I doubt it.

Do you think it is worth me contacting Siemens to see if they can provide me any information on where it was originally bought/sold to put my mind at ease?

Reply to Searching history of 2nd hand component? in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net