Search the forum,

Discuss Second red 'live' wire in light fitting - what to do? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Would you get this replaced in the future? I must admit we've got no idea how old the wiring in the house is - we bought the place this time last year but the previous owner did very little work to it too...

Would you get this replaced in the future? I must admit we've got no idea how old the wiring in the house is - we bought the place this time last year but the previous owner did very little work to it too...
It’s probably serviceable. But nobody can tell by just looking. You could have the installation inspected and get a report on what needs updating.
If the rest of the house is the same age as the cables in your picture, then I would guess there’s quite a bit that needs work.

If the lamp is working (and switching) properly without the mystery red connected, and everything else in the house does as well, then I'd leave it disconnected and insulated, although I'd leave all earths connected together, including the one that is part of this cable, if it's this strange singles + earth stuff.
Connecting the red could be leaving an exposed live cable somewhere.

If the lamp is working (and switching) properly without the mystery red connected, and everything else in the house does as well, then I'd leave it disconnected and insulated, although I'd leave all earths connected together, including the one that is part of this cable, if it's this strange singles + earth stuff.
Connecting the red could be leaving an exposed live cable somewhere.
Very good point.

I've come across sheathed singles in domestic property many times - usually as part of 2w switch wiring, but never with an earth incorporated in it.
All metric T&E was white in colour in my area until recently, which I've heard is another regional thing.
Also 240-0-240 volt split phase electricity supplies, which are common around here, but gets blank looks when I've enquired about motor switch gear for it.

I've come across sheathed singles in domestic property many times - usually as part of 2w switch wiring, but never with an earth incorporated in it.
I've not used any for a good while but used to use it regularly. Years back, we used to get single sleeved red + E, black without earth. Still got some in stores.

Reply to Second red 'live' wire in light fitting - what to do? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock