Discuss Second red 'live' wire in light fitting - what to do? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

slquoue

DIY
Reaction score
I am connecting a new IKEA pendant light in place of an existing light fitting. I have connected the red wire in the ceiling to the brown 'live' terminal in the IKEA fitting, and the black wire in the ceiling to the blue 'neutral' terminal in the IKEA fitting. However, there is an extra exposed red 'live' wire. Should I connect this to the second available 'live' terminal in the IKEA fitting, or leave it loose as I found it?

20210110_150134.jpg

Here we go again....
How was it connected at the old light? Did you take a picture/make a note?
Sorry if my question is inconveniencing you. I know I'm not an expert - quite the opposite - but I assumed that this forum was a good place to ask a question, even if it is a beginner question.

The red live weird was loose with the old light. However I wasn't convinced this necessarily meant it was the way it was supposed to be.

No inconvenience, but there's lots of these every day...

Its hard to know exactly as there are many ways to cable up lighting circuits, and your wiring is somewhat older than many!

There's several choices

One is guess work. If you think that the second red is not used, then insulate it. Then test the IKEA light and also every other light in your house.
You may find that one or more lights in your house do not work now.
There's two options:
put the second red together with the first red and see if all is now working.
call an electrician or someone who has a test meter and knows how to use it

No inconvenience, but there's lots of these every day...

Its hard to know exactly as there are many ways to cable up lighting circuits, and your wiring is somewhat older than many!

There's several choices

One is guess work. If you think that the second red is not used, then insulate it. Then test the IKEA light and also every other light in your house.
You may find that one or more lights in your house do not work now.
There's two options:
put the second red together with the first red and see if all is now working.
call an electrician or someone who has a test meter and knows how to use it
Thanks for the reply.

So either insulate the exposed red wire with electrical tape, or try connecting it into the IKEA fitting? As the light seems to be working fine perhaps covering the exposed part of the wire with electrical tape is the best course of action?

What sort of fitting was originally there a ceiling rose and if so I assume this red was connected. What is the green tube concealing, twisted earth wires?

They are singles with reds having the cpcs. You can connect the red in with the other one a see what happens and the earths should be correctly sleeves and terminated, not twisted together.

They are singles with reds having the cpcs. You can connect the red in with the other one a see what happens and the earths should be correctly sleeves and terminated, not twisted together.
Would you put both red wires into the same slot, or use both of the two slots provided (the IKEA fitting has two slots for live and two for neutral, but it only mentions connecting one for each)

View attachment 63666

There are two spots in the IKEA connection. I could either put both red wires into one spot (see the red circle on this picture) or put one red wire into one spot and one red wire into the other spot (shown by the black circle)?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-01-10 at 15.53.48.png
    26.1 KB · Views: 3
The earths (cpcs) are with the red wires and these are likely to be twisted together in the green tube.
Yep, proper connection required....and if they're twisted they're weakened. Strip the cable back for more length......carefully.

Reply to Second red 'live' wire in light fitting - what to do? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net