Discuss Should this fitting be bonded to earth in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have had these lights installed by a contractor whose work is normally very good. He has not connected the earth in each fitting as there is a class 2 sticker on the metal back plate. He argues that it does not need to be earthed. The manufacture did not supply a bolt for the Earth terminal (however an M4 fits) because then they would not comply with the Class 2 requirements but have stated it can be used if required/requested. Each fitting is supplied via a Clik rose internally.

My argument is it should be earthed!

Please look past the cable entry. It has been rectified and I’m aware that the correct cable entry has not been used and the water integrity of the fitting is compromised. This has voided the warranty also.

Please advise
IMG_1672.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
That is rough where it enters the fitting why are the conductors exposed like that. If that is a metal base and the earth post suggests it should be earthed and as such I find it difficult to believe that satisfies Class II requirements.

I have had these lights installed by a contractor whose work is normally very good. He has not connected the earth in each fitting as there is a class 2 sticker on the metal back plate. He argues that it does not need to be earthed. The manufacture did not supply a bolt for the Earth terminal (however an M4 fits) because then they would not comply with the Class 2 requirements but have stated it can be used if required/requested. Each fitting is supplied via a Clik rose internally.

My argument is it should be earthed!

Please look past the cable entry. It has been rectified and I’m aware that the correct cable entry has not been used and the water integrity of the fitting is compromised. This has voided the warranty also.

Please advise

Is that base metal?
Yeah

Probably a fitting where the base has dual use in Class 1 or 2 situations. I probably would have used the screw to provide a home for the earth wire, rather than waste a Wago. Either way its no big deal
No big deal apart from I have a couple filling up with water. And cables pinched where coming through the wall and back plate. In the picture the cable was pinched and I pulled it to see how pinched it was and the sleeve pulled apart exposing the cores.

I find it difficult to believe that satisfies Class II. I suspect that piece of insulation below the terminal block is supposed to provide a barrier. The reason for not earthing it because of a plastic gear tray is bizarre. I would have personally sent them back for alternatives.

I find it difficult to believe that satisfies Class II. I suspect that piece of insulation below the terminal block is supposed to provide a barrier. The reason for not earthing it because of a plastic gear tray is bizarre. I would have personally sent them back for alternatives.
Yes, you’re correct, they say the insulating paper provides a barrier. The gear tray is metal also.but only part attached to plastic.

The body of the fitting has so much exposed metal. It should be bonded.

No mention on here of a class 2
IMG_2302.jpeg

Poor manufacturer........ feel sorry for them. They have a datasheet stating Class 1 and a product label showing Class 2. The driver label is not shown but assume that also shows a class 2 label. As mentioned i would have probably connected the earth to the post provided as you have to put the earth somewhere, lol
Either way, i would not be hard on the electrician (not this bit anyway) the IP integrity is something else, along with trapped cables. You could always drill a drainhole in the bottom of the fitting, its amazing how effective a drain hole is.
What outcome are you wanting ?

Poor manufacturer........ feel sorry for them. They have a datasheet stating Class 1 and a product label showing Class 2. The driver label is not shown but assume that also shows a class 2 label. As mentioned i would have probably connected the earth to the post provided as you have to put the earth somewhere, lol
Either way, i would not be hard on the electrician (not this bit anyway) the IP integrity is something else, along with trapped cables. You could always drill a drainhole in the bottom of the fitting, its amazing how effective a drain hole is.
What outcome are you wanting ?
I have asked the contractor to come back, remove the fittings. Big circle seal of mastic behind cable entry, refit and connect the earth to the provided terminal. He is refusing. I have to warranty a large number of these for 2 years, with no manufacture warranty. In 1 month 3no have failed and as a minimum I would like to reduce the chance of failure. In the process I’d like them earthed. This is in a kids school. Care takers/maintance engineers and cleaners could potentially touch or inspect failures. I don’t want these to be a reflection of our workmanship or keep paying to rectify. And obviously don’t want anyone to get a belt.

I’ve paid them for the work but still owe a little for other jobs. I’ve only asked if I have it sorted (1man, 1 day max) and I’ll hold the risk and he covers the rectifying costs.

If he does come and do the mastic he is refusing to earth them. So I have kind of feel like I’m holding a too bigger risk.

I think they should be earthed. Even if installed correctly.

Look at anything else designed as class II or double insulated, and you’ll see the terminals are enclosed within a plastic box, and restrained.

It’s basically what the square within a square symbol signifies.

if a core comes out of the terminal, it can only touch plastic…. Even if the body of the fitting is metal.

Admittedly, some of the little plastic boxes that come supplied with certain decorative fittings leave a lot to be desired…. But the thought was there.

How does kingfisher customer service, who sent the email, explain the data sheet? They are contradictory.

I have asked the contractor to come back, remove the fittings. Big circle seal of mastic behind cable entry, refit and connect the earth to the provided terminal. He is refusing. I have to warranty a large number of these for 2 years, with no manufacture warranty. In 1 month 3no have failed and as a minimum I would like to reduce the chance of failure. In the process I’d like them earthed. This is in a kids school. Care takers/maintance engineers and cleaners could potentially touch or inspect failures. I don’t want these to be a reflection of our workmanship or keep paying to rectify. And obviously don’t want anyone to get a belt.

I’ve paid them for the work but still owe a little for other jobs. I’ve only asked if I have it sorted (1man, 1 day max) and I’ll hold the risk and he covers the rectifying costs.

If he does come and do the mastic he is refusing to earth them. So I have kind of feel like I’m holding a too bigger risk.

I would dump the lights along with the contractor.

This is a right sheet show.

if the lights are marked as class 2 then they don't require an earth.
if the guy installing them thinks they don't comply with class2 requirements (as marked), they should not fit them.

mastic is not likely to provide a suitable IP rating for the enclosure, a suitable gland and seal would be required.

any outdoor light like that will end up leaking eventually and a small hole in the bottom will stop it filling up with water.

If I employ a subcontractor to do installation work for me, then the brief is clear.
Do it my way or walk away, the chance to voice opinions or change how it is done is when discussing the upcoming job, not afterwards.

Does the supply have rcd protection.

if the guy installing them thinks they don't comply with class2 requirements (as marked), they should not fit them.

mastic is not likely to provide a suitable IP rating for the enclosure, a suitable gland and seal would be required.

any outdoor light like that will end up leaking eventually and a small hole in the bottom will stop it filling up with water.

If I employ a subcontractor to do installation work for me, then the brief is clear.
Do it my way or walk away, the chance to voice opinions or change how it is done is when discussing the upcoming job, not

Does the supply have rcd protection.

Do it my way or walk away, the chance to voice opinions or change how it is done is when discussing the upcoming job, not afterwards.
I opened a fitting up due to a fault. Turned out water ingress. If you look at the picture of the back plate it’s got two sections to drill a drain hole. I’m going to drill a drain hole. I’m also going to mastic. Like I said. Just to reduce my risk. Obviously all fittings or accessories have to be installed to manufactures guidelines. These have been modified. Holes have been made in the fitting where they shouldn’t . The lights were tech subbed as per the data sheet. We can’t be on-site to supervise every installed accessory or fitting.

Reply to Should this fitting be bonded to earth in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net