Discuss Alternative retro fit earth tag options for SWA? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I'm working on a system that has been installed incorrectly. It's a 3ph Hager board with 8 swa cables glanded into the bottom entry panel. The install is fine except the earth tag (banjos) haven't been fitted and they have relied on the metal plate as an earth. My question is, can you get a retro fit earth tag or "all in one solution" to earth all of these glands safely without disruption? Im aware of earth nuts but they would still need disconnection of circuits so I was hoping to find another alternative if anybody has any suggestions?

Using the rings is not a prerequisite, paint can be ground off, serrated washers or nuts can be used. Is the armour being used as a CPC? It’s it connected to ground at the field end, what is the make up of the gland plate? Is it a continuous piece of metal or is it held on by 4 small screws? What tests have you done on the SWA? Just a visual?

You have not provided enough information really

Using the rings is not a prerequisite, paint can be ground off, serrated washers or nuts can be used. Is the armour being used as a CPC? It’s it connected to ground at the field end, what is the make up of the gland plate? Is it a continuous piece of metal or is it held on by 4 small screws? What tests have you done on the SWA? Just a visual?

You have not provided enough information really
Sorry, here's some more information.
  • Hager 3ph board with removable plate held by 6 screws
  • Armoured cable is relied on for CPC
  • The other end is connected to air con units that are also not earthed

No tests have been carried out as im aware the plate can be removed and then all earthing is lost so I am on the hunt for some form of earth that can be attached to the glands without full disconnection and removal of glands. Also the standard banjos won't fit due to the length of them so I cannot rely on them as a solution

Thanks

Nut and bolt a 10mm earth from the bar to the plate I would be happy with that myself
This is something I thought about but I'm unsure if it's actually within the guidelines. I can't personally see an issue with it other than they are all sharing the same earth path briefly but if sized correctly I would imagine it was okay

Cut a slot out of a banjo, loosen locknut, slide around, flatten, and nip back up, run fly leads 🫡🤠 ive done it before and ill do it again 😅
That will work! A little sketchy but sounds worse than it is.

Attachments

• IMG_7061.jpeg
    12.8 KB · Views: 6
The Wiska E-Nut ones might do the job!

Tap to zoom

Wiska COMBI E-NUT M25 Earthing Nuts (1x M25) With Earth Leads & Screws Brass - E-NUT25​

Quick Find Code: E-NUT25
Free Delivery on orders over £35 (excluding Highlands and Islands)
  • 1 x M25
  • Material brass
  • Earthing nuts (single) for COMBI Junction Boxes, with earthing lead
  • Sold in packs of 5

Tap to zoom

Wiska COMBI E-NUT M25 Earthing Nuts (1x M25) With Earth Leads & Screws Brass - E-NUT25​

• 1 x M25
  • Material brass
  • Sold in packs of 5
Thats pretty cool, i may grab a bag for the van!

That will work! A little sketchy but sounds worse than it is.
I've opted to leave the them installed and add a second lock ring with a banjo that's slightly bent up. A slottable earth plate for scenarios where you cannot disconnect would be a great idea however if it doesn't already exist

Tap to zoom

• 1 x M25
  • Material brass
  • Sold in packs of 5
Do they just clamp onto the remaining thread? a great and simple idea.

Tap to zoom

• 1 x M25
  • Material brass
  • Sold in packs of 5
I did think about these but you would still have to fully disconnect (which I have done anyway now 🙄) so the issue is sorted but now I'm just wondering if there's an actual solution to this issue going forwards when the circuit cannot be disconnected. Doesn't appear to be

I did think about these but you would still have to fully disconnect (which I have done anyway now 🙄) so the issue is sorted but now I'm just wondering if there's an actual solution to this issue going forwards when the circuit cannot be disconnected. Doesn't appear to be
No they are split, so can and I have used for exact same scenario you are describing without disconnecting.

Tap to zoom

• 1 x M25
  • Material brass
  • Sold in packs of 5
Never seen these before. Clever invention

Reply to Alternative retro fit earth tag options for SWA? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net