Discuss Alternative retro fit earth tag options for SWA? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

How topical.
I was in <somewhere> only today and the subject of earthing came up - there being a fairly substantial earth ring for the systems being tested, but a requirement for a separate earth for other facility equipment off a different supply. And as I looked down at a metalclad socket with SWA in and out, there was a flylead from one banjo to the other (outside of the box) that didn't go into the socket itself.
I commented on this, and was told that the nut inside is designed to scrape the paint off as you tighten it - so the socket is earthed via that. It wasn't the right moment to "discuss" things further, but I was thinking that if they work then no need for the flylead, and if there's a need for the flylead then not much confidence that they do work.
But, one of the people I was with commented on how on a different installation there was a distribution board with "many" cables in it - and the installers had put the nuts the wrong way round. Apparently they were "rather unhappy" at having to pull every circuit in order to turn the nuts over.

SWA have been making them for years. Pricey, but convenient at times.
The ones for Wiska boxes are very good and Imo is the only way to do a decent job, as it also adds some support to the glands when using this type of box.

Attachments

• WKEC308.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Just be aware that with this type of earthing gadget, you tighten the clamping screw down on the threaded part of the gland, which may cause some damage to the threads.
In other words you may be screwed if the screw screws the screw...

The glands do use the thread of the Wiska box, which does give them some strength.

The other alternative is to do a dogs' ear of it and banjo outside, nut and bolt and compress the plastic box to within an inch of its life :)

The glands do use the thread of the Wiska box, which does give them some strength.

The other alternative is to do a dogs' ear of it and banjo outside, nut and bolt and compress the plastic box to within an inch of its life :)

The OP has a metal enclosure with metal gland plate though doesn't he? And question is around not having to disconnect all the cables to fit an earth banjo/nut

The OP has a metal enclosure with metal gland plate though doesn't he? And question is around not having to disconnect all the cables to fit an earth banjo/nut
The ops question had already been answered with M20 E Nut.
My post was being informative as some hadn't seen that type of kit before.

You can also get E springs, which maybe of interest to the OP.

Do you have a link to the SWA version?

I'd never heard of Wiska e-nuts, so googled them yesterday and the link I clicked showed a piranha type of nut.

Did the same today, as I was surprised at you asking for a link, and saw very different results. I never seen anything similar and don't imagine SWA sell them.

Reply to Alternative retro fit earth tag options for SWA? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net