Discuss A few Qs for non - domestic board move in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

John-

-
Reaction score
Hi

I am a sparks from the 15th Ed, did 16, 17 and last year 18th. I am out of practice though as have been office based for 12+ years in a different industry with only doing minor stuff for myself (in conjunction with Building Control) and minor non-domestic works.

Like many I may have to dust off my tool to ride out Covid. No issue have been doing bits and bobs throughout that time. Down to the Qs.

The Situation
A friend of mine is undergoing some building changes on his farm (no animals). I am looking at combing two boards that have been installed at separate times over the last 20 years, into one board and moving it to an adjacent wall, extending circuits as needed. Both boards have an inbuilt Triple Pole isolator, with neutral not isolated.

The building is one of many on site, it is a large 15m x 30m metal building, Concrete slab, insulated metal sheets etc - used as a vehicle repair workshop. RS doors and single leaf doors for entry. Only trained, competent persons will be using the building.

The install is over 25 years old, not done by me :). It is part of a larger system of buildings, fed from a central meter room in a separate building. Supply to site is via TNCS into a single meter.

In the building i am dealing with, he has an oil heater, supplied from a plastic tank about a meter away from the building outside, via a copper pipe running in the lower Purlin (at no point goes in the ground). This is not bonded on entry. There is water supply, but this is a blue plastic pipe out of a duct into the building.

There is a very old 3 phase welder fed via TP (no neutral) 20A breaker. This is said to trip sometimes - MCB is not C rated, no RCD neither – not investigated this yet.

There is a TPN red commando type socket (rated 16A) fed via 25A TP RCD breaker on a smaller board, protected by 32A Breaker in the main board ( i think this was added by the owner.) This is used for a ground based hoist.

There is one 63A TP breaker, that supplies a separate building, which again then goes on to supply a small metal building over 200m away used as a 'snug'. A N Other sparks sorted that. It has an earth steak at the snug end.

A TP Lathe, another car hoist, TP compressor etc.

I should point out that there is Single phase Generator on site that, in the event of a mains failure, will supply essential services in all buildings: local rings, lighting CCTV and Intruder etc. Each building has one of these boards installed and a few years back, circuits were removed from the local boards and installed on these Generator fed boards. I will have to move the generator board for this building onto another wall, but I am not adding or removing circuits. I will of course ensure circuits are correct.

None of the SWA have a Banjo earth arrangement, they are just glanded into the metal - No piranha gland neither.

Conductors are all reds and blacks, some plastic conduit some SWA, and one or two blues and browns from later additions by other sparks.

Once i have finished we will get a sparks with all the test kit to come in and test it, i just don’t have anything in calibration any more.

I am not 100% sure about the size of the conductors used. When I was last on site with my head in eth board. I am embarrassed to say i was unable to tell by looking at conductors if they were 10, 16 or 25mm. I have since been to the Wholesaler and got some samples so I can check and record cable sizes.

Please correct me if i am wrong, IMHO I will need to: -
Check IB for all circuits and ensure correct cable sizing, breaker selection etc for each of the circuits amend as required.
I will be fitting RCBOs where ever possible - welder may be an issue.
Check supply cable to this board is correctly sized given the load of the system.
Add notices about mixed conductor colour coding.
Install piranhas / banjos for all SWAs to ensure good earth continuity into the board.
Bond the metal pipe from the oil tank.
Maintain bond to the structure of the building.
Ensure that SWA at the ‘Snug’ is not attached to the earth stake at the ‘Snug’.

I will be going back to confirm loads on the various machines and cable sizes, length of runs etc. In my day i was mostly single phase. The last time i did any three phase work was during my C -Course!!! So will be looking into how calculate current for a Three phase load. PF correction will not be required.

Concerning diversity, there are no more than two people in the workshop at once. For the supply cable, I am not sure how I can work this in. Under no circumstances will all machines be going at once. Any thoughts on how i can apply this please?

Yes i know it is a lot to take on for an old has been now wannabe, but i have time to do it right.

Thanks

John

Wow, that is a lot to take in.

A lot of this is hard to advise without seeing it.
If you have a friendly spark that you intend to bring in for some testing and certification, why not get them in for a day at the beginning to help specify who what where etc, gain some useful advice and have him back another day to test and cert.
[automerge]1597324542[/automerge]
P.s. welcome back to the world of electricity.

Don’t polish your tool in public!!

Could be hard to find a friendly spark to sign it off. Sounds like a fairly big job.

Second above. Get friendly spark in at the get go to help design and brush off your cobwebs.

For starters, for the substantial site size and the amount of work required, have you got an open chequebook to work with or is it budgeted.
Also, I would be sorting out non calibrated test equipment so various testing can be carried out before, and whilst carrying out, the project.
How are you on testing?

First off you wont get a spark to sign off your work retrospectively. Second, is there any certification for the existing work(s), get that and scour it. Third you sound like you are taking on something you are not really competent to do. I say that without intending to be rude, there are a lot of the more complex issues to consider in what you have outlined. Of course I don't know your qualies so I could have got the wrong end of the stick. Without calibrated electrical testing equipment there is no chance you can even begin to consider moving three phase DB and combining them. Can you design a circuit??? Earthing in each of the buildings being one of them that flags up immediately. The lengths of the circuits involved. The degree to which you are getting involved with each circuit. You say you are combining two boards, if it aint broke don't fix it, why are you doing that?
So you are asking what exactly? It sound like you are thinking along the lines of an EICR possibly??? Bottom line, you are asking for a massive amount of information and experience to be bought to bear on the above, and it is without the scope of this type of interaction to encompass, you really need a spark and you could be his mate it sounds like, is that true???

First off you wont get a spark to sign off your work retrospectively. Second, is there any certification for the existing work(s), get that and scour it. Third you sound like you are taking on something you are not really competent to do. I say that without intending to be rude, there are a lot of the more complex issues to consider in what you have outlined. Of course I don't know your qualies so I could have got the wrong end of the stick. Without calibrated electrical testing equipment there is no chance you can even begin to consider moving three phase DB and combining them. Can you design a circuit??? Earthing in each of the buildings being one of them that flags up immediately. The lengths of the circuits involved. The degree to which you are getting involved with each circuit. You say you are combining two boards, if it aint broke don't fix it, why are you doing that?
So you are asking what exactly? It sound like you are thinking along the lines of an EICR possibly??? Bottom line, you are asking for a massive amount of information and experience to be bought to bear on the above, and it is without the scope of this type of interaction to encompass, you really need a spark and you could be his mate it sounds like, is that true???
Hence the open chequebook comment.......sums it up.

I will be fitting RCBOs where ever possible - welder may be an issue.

Check supply cable to this board is correctly sized given the load of the system.

Add notices about mixed conductor colour coding.

Bond the metal pipe from the oil tank.

Why RCBO's wherever possible? You only need to fit RCBO's where required to by the regulations.
Does the supply to the welder need RCD protection?

Yes it would be a good idea to confirm that the distribution circuit is suitable, that needs doing early on before you start any actual work.

A mixed colours sticker will tick a box on your schedule of inspections.

Test anything suspected of being an extraneous part to establish whether it is and needs bonding or not.

Thanks for reading.

Agree this will be a challenge, but i don't know anyone that doesn't learn something new once in a while. And lets not forget, i have done most of this before - just a long time ago under different regs. I am up to day with 18th Edd training. Regs book is all coloured in :cool:

I do need to get the latest on site guide though. Am also doing a EV Charging course in November.

Re the SWA, i assume that the glands will need adapting to one where i can pick up an earth point , banjo or Piranha. IMHO it has not been 'erected' correctly. And seeing as there is no separate CPC for the circuits or main earth - then it should have a good connection to the CU earthing terminal. Where in the regs would that be covered please - i thought 526, but didn't see it?

Good idea, yes will see what records there are on the current circuit info. - will be very helpful as a baseline.
Want to combine into one board as it is a mess, the MCBs are no longer supported RCDs not in place for some circuits - just taking advantage of the move to neaten things up and bring up to 18th.
RCBOs will be used in accordance with the regs, as there are quite a lot of semi portable equipment - certainly not fixed.
Welder is portable, supplied by a TP socket - IMHO yes, needs RCD.
Friendly spark: can do an inspection and test at the end, it is what they did for Building Control when i carried out work on my own house. But yes i will do some testing myself - just my kit is not calibrated.
Money not really an issue here in the grand scheme of things.

I will avoid polishing my tool in public... :)

Thanks JB

This looks like a decent project to get your teeth into. It may be worth your while looking through the directory on here for your area as your just listed UK. Or post your location and hope someone is local

Reply to A few Qs for non - domestic board move in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net