Search the forum,

Discuss Starting to annoy me! in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

jimmymac

Just had a phone call from my dad, haven't heard from him for 2 weeks since i had to go to his house because he couldn't work out his central heating programmer, here's how the conversation went

Dad: hi son

Me: hi dad

Dad: hows work?

Me: steady at moment, went quiet for a week but its ticking over

Dad: are you working this weekend?

Me: just saturday

Dad: i need you to fit my TV ariel on sunday if your not working

Me: i'm taking the kids out in the afternoon

Dad: you can do it in the morning then, also, does your mate still work at that garage?

Me: yes

Dad: I need some wipers for the car and i need the MOT next week so can you get that sorted for me?

Me: i'll ask him

Dad: i'll be working so you'll have to take it for MOT, anyway, i'll let you go now, see you sunday son

Me: just before you go dad, you gran-daughters are fine, thanks for asking

Dad: i knew they would be, see you sunday son

When did i stop being a person and just become a service for the family?

Does anybody else get this? Its starting to really get under my skin!

But it would be nice to be asked and not told, and the point is he only ring when he wants something

to be fair its what us kids no matter what age have done over the years,hes your dad,remember what he's done for you over the years,i lost mine a while ago,id swap a few things for one of those calls now tbh..just help him out

to be fair its what us kids no matter what age have done over the years,hes your dad,remember what he's done for you over the years,i lost mine a while ago,id swap a few things for one of those calls now tbh..just help him out

I know your right in what you are saying, he's done alot for me. I just like to have a whine now and then to get it off my chest, its still really annoying though

I know what you mean Alarm man but don't forget that Jimmy is a dad himself and wants to spend time with his kids when he is not working

as most of us are too..but thats not really a problem,maybe its a generation thing..i dont know..but in the future i'll be asking my kids for favours,and they better do it or its all going to the dog shelter..:drunk:

Im 22, i lost my dad when i was 19.. Wish i could have grown old to get these phone calls :/ think of how many years he had looking after you as you were young ;)! You will have it with your children when your older its just the way of life.. If your son/daughter became a lawyer for example and u needed a lawyer you'd go to them ;)

When I went around to my mums house one evening for a bit of a catch up over a cuppa like you do. Seemed like she had a bad day and was a bit tired so when I went into the kitchen to put the tea cups away I noticed that the dishes needed cleaning. So I washed the pots, pans and plates and she was very grateful for it.

The next morning I got the the worst phone call a son could ever get. I drove there faster than any formula one driver could ever do in an LDV convoy van. After the police and the private ambulance people had left my dad said to me "Thanks for doing the dishes son, your mum would have hatted anyone in the house without it being clean."

If it hasn't happened already for you, it will.

What was the question again? Something about going round to your parents house and doing a bit of work on a Sunday.

I'd give my right arm.

Well, i didnt expect this much critisism. Suppose i better not go out on saturday night if i'm on that roof on sunday morning, thanks for the guidance lads :wink5:

Well, i didnt expect this much critisism. Suppose i better not go out on saturday night if i'm on that roof on sunday morning, thanks for the guidance lads :wink5:

A night out on the tiles V's a day with the family?

Apparently there are 52 Saturday nights in a year. How many Sunday mornings can you spend with your Mum & Dad?

Saturday nights still happen for me, Sunday mornings dont.

Not having a go and I've probably stepped over the line, but I'm only saying a little bit of my story to make you think twice about doing a bit of work for your parents.

Time has a value and only you can give it a value.

Got a bit emotional reading this thread having lost my dad and my father in law in a few short months August to October 3 years ago I still get days where I wish I could pick up a phone or nip round for a chat and a brew it's not quite the same going to the cemetery. My mother in law lives just over 50 miles away yet I have no problem getting in a vehicle and driving there to sort a problem that might take 10 mins to fix if she calls it's what I do. Fortunately my mum lives closer and I call there 4 or 5 times a week

No one knows how long we or they have got on this earth I try to make the most of the time my mum and mum in law have left.

I think Mike and the Mechanics summed it up well with their song The Living Years

To the OP I don't know your family situation but you and your dad seem like strangers, parents are the best friends you will ever have so why not sort your issues out over a beer or two before it's too late

Mmmm family the most annoying at times but the most important always I have already lost my only child makes the rest of the family all the more important loosing someone close makes you realise what is important on life and its not work

A night out on the tiles V's a day with the family?

Apparently there are 52 Saturday nights in a year. How many Sunday mornings can you spend with your Mum & Dad?

Saturday nights still happen for me, Sunday mornings dont.

Not having a go and I've probably stepped over the line, but I'm only saying a little bit of my story to make you think twice about doing a bit of work for your parents.

Time has a value and only you can give it a value.

I'd have to be good spend sunday morning with my mum AND dad, considering they live five hundred miles from one another (and my mum says thats still too close!)

I dont think you've over stepped the mark at all mate, i'm glad to hear your thoughts on the matter

Well i went along and fitted the arial today, i even got some payment for the work in the form of a bag of rock salt and a new hoodie, but whats more important than that is that i feel like i've done a good deed and kept the old man happy :eek:

Reply to Starting to annoy me! in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock