Currently reading:
Two and Three Wire Testing ???

Discuss Two and Three Wire Testing ??? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

j.capes

Hi all,

Im in the early stages of learning testing and was wanting to know if any of you could help me understand two lead / three lead testing.

Why do you need a third lead for some tests, when other makes of meter can do the exact same test but with two leads??

I understand that the meter needs to be powered from the circuit under test with some meters but with tests like Ipsc and Ipfc I would like more explanation.

Hope you can help me understand this better.

Thanks

Hi j.capes, think it all depends on the make & model of the meter. Mine requires 3 leads for loop testing RCD protected circuits even with the trip lock facility enabled, know that there are meters on the market that can do this using only 2 leads.

With Ze/PSCC/PEFC think most types of meter employ the 2 lead method.

Regards wa

Thanks for your reply. Was confused because seen people testing pfc at the consumer unit with three probes connected to line, neutral and MET (fluke meter). Does this test both Short circuit current and earth fault current at the same time and give you the reading in KA for the highest of the two to put down as your PFC reading on the form? Would have though these would have been two separate tests? One between line and earth (two leads) and one between line and neutral ??

Reply to Two and Three Wire Testing ??? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back